President Bush: 'Being 92 doesn't hurt one bit'

webfact

President Bush: 'Being 92 doesn't hurt one bit'

KENNEBUNKPORT, Maine (AP) — Fresh from his 92nd birthday, former President George H.W. Bush is enjoying himself in Maine after recovering from a fall at his home last summer.

Bush led a group of 40 wounded warriors on a fishing trip at the helm of his speedboat Wednesday, three days after his birthday celebration.

Evan Sisley, Bush's personal aide, said the former president is fully healed, telling others "being 92 doesn't hurt one bit."

The oldest living president took a tumble last July 15 at his Kennebunkport home and fractured a vertebrae, which doctors let heal on its own.

Wednesday's "Fishing for Freedom" event featured veterans of conflicts in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan, and was sponsored by the nonprofit Wounded Heroes Program of Maine.

The former president didn't actually go fishing, but he skippered his 38-foot speedboat Fidelity IV down the Kennebunk River to lead 10 other boats to the Atlantic Ocean.

Such outings are not unusual. Last summer, a soldier who was badly wounded in Afghanistan proposed to his girlfriend outside Bush's home as the former president watched.

Bush has a form of Parkinson's disease and uses a motorized scooter or a wheelchair for mobility, but that hasn't stopped him from going out on his boat. He is not experiencing any residual pain from his fall, and he's "enjoying the salt air with his family," Sisley said.

Bush has been coming to Kennebunkport every summer except during World War II, when he was a naval aviator. His plane was shot down but he survived by bailing out with a parachute.

He has parachuted several times since then, most recently celebrating his 90th birthday by making a tandem parachute jump near his Kennebunkport home. His past two birthdays have been low-key, spent with family.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-06-16

Hopefully he doesn't see the week out, old mongrel

That is a disgusting comment. As my mother used to say when i was a small boy.

You need your mouth washed out with soap.

I enter have any time for this moron, he's a murderous bastard & an idiot,by he world would have been richer if he'd croaked 90 years ago.

I enter have any time for this moron, he's a murderous bastard & an idiot,by he world would have been richer if he'd croaked 90 years ago.

That spell-checker's a real pain, eh?

gigglem.gif

That spell-checker's a real pain, eh?

gigglem.gif

Damn Auto correct,cries it to me all the time 55555i

I didn't notice & have no idea what I was trying to say lol

Well, he, his son and his cronies created the fertile ground for WW3 - rot in hell!

The entire family should be burnt in a cage.

The Bush's - Face of Satan

Stop beating about the Bush and tell us what you really think of them.

Wow, never expected HW would invoke such bile spewing!

I'll start off by saying I'm a Democrat, didn't vote for him, but....

In my view he was last Republican of consensus, willing to compromise to actually get things done. Since him the GOP lurched into this 'our way of the highway' obstructionist party which has paralyzed DC for 2 decades, and in many ways HW paid the price for that ideological lurch to the right.

Don't conflate, or blame HW for the sins of his son, none of us can guarantee the actions of our offspring

In my view he was last Republican of consensus, willing to compromise to actually get things done. Since him the GOP lurched into this 'our way of the highway' obstructionist party which has paralyzed DC for 2 decades, and in many ways HW paid the price for that ideological lurch to the right.

Don't conflate, or blame HW for the sins of his son, none of us can guarantee the actions of our offspring

I couldn't agree more. I wasn't a big fan of HW, but I was far from hating him and he generally had my respect, even though I looked at everything he did through a jaundiced eye.

He built a coalition to free Kuwait, he did it carefully and judiciously and freed a country.

I think Jeb Bush would have followed more in his father's footsteps than in his brother's.

I couldn't agree more. I wasn't a big fan of HW, but I was far from hating him and he generally had my respect, even though I looked at everything he did through a jaundiced eye.

He built a coalition to free Kuwait, he did it carefully and judiciously and freed a country.

I think Jeb Bush would have followed more in his father's footsteps than in his brother's.

I myself have often wondered how things would have planned out it it had Jeb rather than his idiot brother at the helm

Being 92 may not hurt him. But he's the cause of whats wrong in the ME along with Help from British PMs.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

I am not so sure. It's a little like trying to figure out which straw really broke the camel's back.

The geopolitical construct that created Kuwait contributed to a situation that ended up with Saddam Hussein claiming it as the 19th province of Iraq. Of course part of that was over the selling of oil that was pumped in Kuwait, but Iraq believed the oil pool it was drawn from belonged to Iraq.

Kuwait was liberated, Saddam was allowed to stay in power and we are living with the consequences.

Should he have left Kuwait as a part of Iraq?

Should he have violated the conditions on the coalition that helped liberate Kuwait and gone after Saddam?

Being 92 may not hurt him. But he's the cause of whats wrong in the ME along with Help from British PMs.

I am not so sure. It's a little like trying to figure out which straw really broke the camel's back.

The geopolitical construct that created Kuwait contributed to a situation that ended up with Saddam Hussein claiming it as the 19th province of Iraq. Of course part of that was over the selling of oil that was pumped in Kuwait, but Iraq believed the oil pool it was drawn from belonged to Iraq.

Kuwait was liberated, Saddam was allowed to stay in power and we are living with the consequences.

Should he have violated the conditions on the coalition that helped liberate Kuwait and gone after Saddam?

The Saudis should have been told it's your back yard, you sort it. Here are the weapons. We (The West) were used as mercenaries for oil.

That is an interesting idea, I don't know if it would have worked and a disruption of oil supplies would have drawn the West into the conflict regardless.

One of the problems with wars of any kind is that it is very difficult to predict the aftermath of even a favorable outcome.

Unfortunately the majority of the middle east is an artificial construct of French & British Imperialists of 1918. We tend to view this through a 20 year backwards prism. Kuwait, Iraq, Syria, all artificial creations, forged by Sykes & Picot drawing arbitrary lines on a map regardless of tribal, ethnic and religious realities on the debris of the defeated Ottomans.

If HW & I must say Margaret Thatcher deserve any blame, it's in not recognizing sustainability of the nonsensical nation states and not trying to recast the Middle East into something sustainable, and probably more reminiscent to the Ottoman provinces prior to 1918.

The first Iraq war was in my view was a maintaining the status quo. The second war was fatefully flawed by trying to change the dynamics of something which by it's very construction could never be anything other than a dictatorship.

HW was a Real Politic guy, he understood that, which is why he never made the move to overthrow Saddam during the first Gulf war, another reason why I didn't agree with many of his domestic agenda...but he understood the realities of the outside world better than most of his Republican colleagues.

I am sure being 92 does not hurt one bit when you area multi multi millionaire, whose fortune was made in alliance with the Bin Laden family, shipping oil around the world.

Try being a 92 year old from the ghetto's with no medical insurance and out of work and almost no pension for the last 40 years, then see how much it hurts at 92.

I myself have often wondered how things would have planned out it it had Jeb rather than his idiot brother at the helm

When Jeb announced his foreign policy team, it included a lot of unrepentant members from his brother's administration. We don't know what he would have done, but it sure seems like he didn't learn much from his brother's Iraqi debacle.

Unfortunately the majority of the middle east is an artificial construct of French & British Imperialists of 1918. We tend to view this through a 20 year backwards prism. Kuwait, Iraq, Syria, all artificial creations, forged by Sykes & Picot drawing arbitrary lines on a map regardless of tribal, ethnic and religious realities on the debris of the defeated Ottomans.

If HW & I must say Margaret Thatcher deserve any blame, it's in not recognizing sustainability of the nonsensical nation states and not trying to recast the Middle East into something sustainable, and probably more reminiscent to the Ottoman provinces prior to 1918.

The first Iraq war was in my view was a maintaining the status quo. The second war was fatefully flawed by trying to change the dynamics of something which by it's very construction could never be anything other than a dictatorship.

HW was a Real Politic guy, he understood that, which is why he never made the move to overthrow Saddam during the first Gulf war, another reason why I didn't agree with many of his domestic agenda...but he understood the realities of the outside world better than most of his Republican colleagues.

On the other hand he did call on the Iraqi people to rise up and overthrow Saddam. But when they did, he offered them no help. If he had no intention of helping, he should have said nothing.