What Animal in CM Bites Like This During The Raining Season, Every Year? Torture!

WonderousWand

flees only multiply on dry groud and wooden floor by the thousand ONLY if the only dog has died or moved

and its not so hitching

did you buy your anti histamine in Indonesia? fake medecines there EVERYWHERE including farmacies... even generics are fake... 10 years ago

tiger balm is suposed to be the best for all this ...the worst for me is caterpilars

The antihistamines are sold by a very reputable pharmacist. They are produced by a major Thai company and are reliable.

Fleas are animals that you can see, hence the flea circuses.

I know what fleas look like, and this is not caused by cat or dog fleas.

I do not know too much about Tiger Balm, except it made a fortune for its creator.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like midges to me. I had the same problem in Papua New Guinea. They live in the sand and I am allergic to them. I itch for many days if I'm bitten.

I used tropical strength repellant and it worked, but if I miss anywhere, they were into me!!

In parts of Africa these bugs carry a disease, but I think it's not a problem here.

These animals bite ONLY at night, never during daylight hours.

I think they are most active after about 10 pm, and especially in early AM Around 1 to 4 am.

Not midges then. They're only active during daylight hours.

Night only indicates sandfly bites to me.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I think it is midges. I have noticed tiny flying bugs, about the size of a full stop in front of my eyes sometimes. Brushing a "tennis raquet", vertically not horizontally, through my hair produces a barrage of cracks. It isn't my hair 'cos I''m very short cut, and waving it around my feet and running it up my leg at right-angles does the same; even though I see nothing. The sparks are often not at the edge of the "raquet" so I don't think it is hair. My solution to the bites, and mosquito bites, is to dab them with Betadine (iodine solution): it eases the itching and they don't go septic.

The electric tennis racket suggestion of yours is too much work.

But your idea of protecting against infection is important. Serious infection risk is possible if the conditions are right. Use standard procedures to prevent infection.

How about the tiny fruitfly type insects that Thais call "lin" or lien"? I call them sandflies because in my country we have fruitflies and sandflies and only sandflies bite people. I think it is the same here but even the fruitflies seem to get aggressive here after rain.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Thank you very much.

These sites are filled with good information about this subject.

Most helpful!

They are midge bites. Wear socks when you go outside at that time.

The doctors were right when they said mosquitoes... as midges are just like small mosquitoes and probably have the same name in Thai.. of the Thais don't know the English word to tell you.

They are midge bites. Wear socks when you go outside at that time.

The doctors were right when they said mosquitoes... as midges are just like small mosquitoes and probably have the same name in Thai.. of the Thais don't know the English word to tell you.

Thanks!

Do you have poultry? ... birds? ... No one thought about this... http://pestkill.org/insect/mites/bird-mite/#Why_do_they_bite_humans

Bird mites are small, very mobile and barely visible insects. They are oval in shape and semi-transparent in colour. Usually these unpleasant biting mites are found in warmer regions, in places where birds and their nests are located. Starlings, pigeons, sparrows and poultry are their perfect host to feed from.

http://pestkill.org/insect/mites/bird-mite/

Edited by Jimbob1

Do you have poultry? ... birds? ... No one thought about this... http://pestkill.org/insect/mites/bird-mite/#Why_do_they_bite_humans

Bird mites are small, very mobile and barely visible insects. They are oval in shape and semi-transparent in colour. Usually these unpleasant biting mites are found in warmer regions, in places where birds and their nests are located. Starlings, pigeons, sparrows and poultry are their perfect host to feed from.

http://pestkill.org/insect/mites/bird-mite/

In this location, there are many trees, and quite a bit of bamboo, and pretty much what you expect to see in the Chiang Mai area jungle. I live in an area which is half houses and half natural growth.

So, due to the location, there are the usual birds, and the humidity is probably higher than center city, and probably we get a bit less sun due to the mountain occluding the sun for a time before it actually sets.

I kind of doubt that there are enough birds around here to make it more likely we would have a higher than normal amount of insects.

Whatever it is it seems to be present on the ground, and waiting for another animal, such as me or a dog or cat, to walk by, then it hops on and feeds.

I imagine I am one of those who has a more intense reaction to the bite of this insect.

The best thing that I or anyone can do is to reduce the chances of contact.

In my case, I have chosen to wear very polyethylene bags under my socks, and this has completely eliminated the risk of more bites. This works and is not too troublesome or uncomfortable.

Today, lesions continue to diminish.

But very persistent.post-257660-0-09245700-1466573325_thumb.

I have also noticed that there are now tiny misquotes which cause very uncomfortable bites the day after

Normally, in the Chiang Mai area, mosquitoes do not much bother me. However, during the past 2 weeks, there is a type that are murder. The itching and pain does not onset immediately. But 24 hours later. Murder.

I have never run into this type in North America. There, the bite itches like crazy for a few moments, then is gone. But these bites just keep getting more uncomfortable.

You cannot even much see where they have bitten you, but much more uncomfortable than the other type.

So when the rains depart and the humidity decreases, it will be welcome. post-257660-0-95977000-1466574348_thumb.

post-257660-0-09245700-1466573325_thumb.

These bites are already more than 10 days old.

Edited by WonderousWand

You are spot on - midges it is. Ankle biters they are especially at dusk. The complainant needs to rub on some lotion, problem solved.

I always scrape that kind of stuff off with my Buck knife but any knife will do or even sand paper.

Next photo set butt zits please.

Depends on how thick your skin might be.

I wish I could!

Fur trappers from France in America's Northwest of yore were tough.

I am a pussie by comparison, I admit.

Edited by WonderousWand

I have treated these bites by running the shower on my feet and ankles and scrubbing briskly with a very stiff brush , wet and soapy. The itch usually subsides after a few minutes. In America we call this class of bugs midges or "no-see-ums". The worst are chiggers, found all over the south and midwest. Campho Phenique is somtimes helpful before or after.

I have treated these bites by running the shower on my feet and ankles and scrubbing briskly with a very stiff brush , wet and soapy. The itch usually subsides after a few minutes. In America we call this class of bugs midges or "no-see-ums". The worst are chiggers, found all over the south and midwest. Campho Phenique is somtimes helpful before or after.

Correct, I think.

If you can scrub mosquitoe bites immediately, this reduces the toxins.

But mine sometimes still itch like crazy, after over 10 days.

Edited by WonderousWand

• 3 weeks later...

So many correct answers here..... I thought Id just add to this topic as I got 'hit' by theses little 'buggers' a few days ago when mowing the lawn. You cant really see them hence the term No See Ums and they are about the size of the small fruit flies or a full stop (Thats what Americans call a period in punctuation).

I read an article which suggested using a glue stick to lessen/stop the itchiness. Apparently its an old wives remedy (I wonder what the new wives use?) It has something to so with decreasing the amount of oxygen or air into the wound. And these midges or gnats dont extract your life blood like mosquitoes do. These beasties bite you with the mandibles in order for you to bleed hence getting their food by a different means.

There are a lot of anti itch potions out there with an increasing amount of chemicals in use...Im not going to get into that discussion about pros and cons. From now on Im going to have both insect repellant and a glue stick in my pocket...plus wear gumboots when I mow the lawn. Those midges do bite and hell you do feel the effects for days, as previously mentioned.

Ive also noted an increase of mosquitoes about, but thats to be expected with all this glorious rain!

Edited by CMKiwi

I read an article which suggested using a glue stick to lessen/stop the itchiness. Apparently its an old wives remedy (I wonder what the new wives use?) It has something to so with decreasing the amount of oxygen or air into the wound.

Yep, thats basically what calamine lotion does - forms a barrier (plus it likely has some antiseptic agent)