new immigration office in Lamphun

higgy88

Time to rent or buy a place in Lamphun to make sure you qualify..?

Probably look a bit strange with 400 expats all using the same address!

Certainly sounds like something G4T could exploit.

Just apply for an ED and declare it an University. Where's the problem? People can build UFOs and declare themselves GOD in this country.

• 2 months later...

Nothing new for Lamphun office as of today Aug 31. I'm due Sept 12 but they're still not doing extension of stay based on retirement in Lamphun. Anything else I don't know. The ONLY person on-site had zero English ability and my Thai spouse said something like he does't know anything but looking at my passport he said Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai. So okay, Chiang Mai it is.

Don't know why I can't quote the OP but his directions are right on. You enter the immigration parking lot from the same road that goes to the big Buddha Temple off hwy 11. BTW Google Maps shows the new building but street view is an old pic so you won't see the office by looking there (yet). Look for OP's pic, can't miss the blue elephant.

The windows are are plastered with available services such as

EXTENSION OF STAY:

MARRIAGE

RETIREMENT

ETC.

.....just not yet.

Edited by Dogberry

On 6/19/2016 at 3:01 PM, connda said:

That would make me a happy camper. Only 30 km to the Northwest. Wife and I pass there anytime we travel to Chiang Mai, or go shopping at Big-C or the markets in Lamphun Meuang district. I'll stop by and check it out the next trip we make.

Someone else said there were very few farang here...  go into Makro any evening and start counting, You have no idea.

Hummmm ... new immigration walking distance from my house.

I'm not sure that bodes well for the area considering the new Cinema (Jampha at Chatuchak) and other amenities opening in Lamphun. It is the same everywhere I'm sure, but the never ending development continues to amaze me. 

Even the new airport (yeah or neigh and years away)  is in Lamphun Provence, never-mind it's way closer CM. It's a name recognition thing. 

Plus a couple of the best dance clubs around  (along with a hundred of the worst) and along with Lampang a reputation for  some damn fine women, makes this place an exploitable resource.

The continuation of canal road from Chaing Mai down to the intersection of the 108 is a sight. Originally cut through pristine farmland it is already beginning the process of being populated by unbridled development. See it soon (and it's a beautiful drive when the light is right) or it'l be gone forever. Look at the lack of open land along Hwy 11 south out of CM. Same-same.

But I'm a capitalist too so what can I say. 

8 hours ago, Dogberry said:

....the new Cinema (Jampha at Chatuchak)...

Didn't know about that. So a Major Cinema in Big C (single screen I think) and one at Chatuchak. Like buses, these cinemas are.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Living in Lamphun province, I just did my 90-days reporting online as usual.

On top of the screen it still says:

Immigration Branch Office in your residencd area :
Chiang Mai Immigration Tell : 0 5327 7510 , 0 5320 1756 E-mail : [email protected]

Hmm. Let's see how this turns out.  Will update this post accordingly.

I was there last week... for my 90 day.. since my 1st visit there in early September, when I did my tm-30.. they have greatly expanded the office and personel... not sure if they are completely up to the job yet, but they are close... also not sure what staff may have English skills...I bring my wife with me so not a concern for me....if it's close to you, it is worth checking out

• 2 weeks later...
On 15.10.2016 at 8:58 PM, khrab said:

Living in Lamphun province, I just did my 90-days reporting online as usual.

On top of the screen it still says:

Immigration Branch Office in your residencd area :
Chiang Mai Immigration Tell : 0 5327 7510 , 0 5320 1756 E-mail : [email protected]

Hmm. Let's see how this turns out.  Will update this post accordingly.

The approval come from CM. 3 hours later than the former ones.

Just been (again) to the Lamphun Immi Office - this time to submit a TM30 after returning from a trip abroad. More officers in the rather small office, but now there's also an information window, accessible from the outside. Gave in the TM30 and it took just a few minutes for the officer to stamp and sign the slip, which was returned to me. He didn't want (or even look at) the old TM30 slip.

LATEST INFO :

I asked whether they were doing "re-entries" yet - yes, they are. Good, as that enables us to avoid the CM office altogether - now THAT'S a pure blessing, isn't it!  :sorry:

Still not doing yearly extensions, yet - and still no info as to when they'll start on them.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Today, Fri 6.1., 16h00.

It was time for my weekend shopping at BigC Lamphun. Normaly it takes me 20 mins. to get there from my house in Mae Tha, but due to construction and congestion on Super High way this time, I arrived in Lamphun about 40 mins. later.

Knowing the online 90 days reporting system is down, I had the paperwork already done and in the car.

Yes I was pretty late, but what the heck. Just take a look to see the new place upclose. It is on my way anyway and I had still almost 3 weeks time to report.

When I pulled up around 16h40 the place was deserted and the parking lot empty. Driving by I spotted a sign saying: Hours 08:00 - 16:30. Poooh, too late, but I wanted to read all the information on the door, parked the car and got out.

Before I could reach the steps, an office came out and asked me what I want. I said: "Do you do 90 days reporting?" Not expecting anything, he said "Yes, give me your passport and have a seat." They have benches outside where I waited less than 5 mins. until he came back with my passport including the confirmation slip.

I asked him "Do you do retirement extensions as well?" and he said "YES". I asked: "Do I need an appointment?" Him: "No need. Not many people." (This is a special message to scooterboy)

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

:whistling: But there is still room for improvement. Hope next time I don't have to get out of the car.....

(:whistling:=irony)

Later I looked at the slip and it was odd. Not from my form and not a computer print. Something that looked like a photo copy of a photo copy of a photo copy. No name on but at least the red Immi stamp and a signature.

I guess I'll update with my experience.  I've been there twice for 90 day reports.  The first time I went I took my Thai wife as I wanted her to do another TM.30.  We had done it about a year ago at the main Lamphun police station.  They didn't want it.  I had also completed the "Foreign National Information form" and they also did not want that either.  Both times I went was about 1pm, right after lunch, and both times I was their only customer.  The last time I also took a pic as I wanted the telephone number that was listed.

20161130_130427.jpg

Yeah - thanks for the update, it certainly confirms our own "experience".

We'd been to a temple fair a month or two ago, where there was an Immi booth at the rear of the fair. Not sure why they were there, as there aren't really many foreigners in our area. The guys looked pretty bored, so we went to chat with them. I was the first farang they'd seen that day - probably the only one they'd see at the fair, too.  We naturally asked about retirement renewals and re-entry permits. The head honcho assured us they they now did every kind of service imaginable.

We were also informed that when you renew your yearly retirement extension for the first time at the Lamphun office, then they'd come to your address later on to check things out and to take a photo of you outside your house/apartment/hovel. This apparently only happens once, then you're left alone thereafter. Exactly what "things" they would want to check, wasn't answered - just that it wouldn't take long.

We'll be visiting the office in a week or so, for 90-days renewal and for a re-entry stamp. I'll give a report and whatever details that may be interesting.

Cheers  :smile:

@khrab - tried to reply to your pm. The TV system just gave me "error"...:sad:

Edited by scooterboy

• 3 weeks later...

Recently went to do a 90 days and for the re-entry. No waiting and the 90 days was done on the spot, which took around 10 minutes -probably due to being "registered" for the first time on their computer.

Re-entry was next - no waiting again and the info was put onto another computer. The officer didn't

read or check any of the papers I'd submitted - he just asked when (and where) I was leaving and when I'd be back, putting that info onto the computer. The signing officer was sitting behind him, so it took just a couple of minutes to sign and give back the passport. All in all we spent around 15-20 minutes at the office. Now that beats CM Office any day! Apart from the one (Chinese?) guy just finishing when we came - there were no other "customers".

A heads-up - there is NO mail-in possibility for 90-days, once you're registered at the Lamphun office. No, you can't use the CM mail-in address, either. The signing officer looked gobsmacked when asked about a mail-in address - like it was something they'd never considered. We got the answer "If they ever made a mail-in address, then we'd be informed". So, it looks like we'll have to make the journey to Lamphun every 90-days.

Ah, well - win some, lose some.

Cheers :smile:

Oh yeah - I'd brought along the beloved "Foreigner Form" (2, actually), but they didn't ask for it - and I didn't see any blank forms lying around. So maybe that crap has finally gone....about time, too......

Edited by scooterboy

• 2 months later...
On 25.1.2017 at 3:20 PM, scooterboy said:

..... The signing officer looked gobsmacked when asked about a mail-in address - like it was something they'd never considered. We got the answer "If they ever made a mail-in address, then we'd be informed".....

Was there last month. Seems they have an email address. Proudly presented on a board next to back door. For your convience the also display the password.

• 4 weeks later...

My report on my first annual retirement extension to be done at Lamphun immigration.

I got there with my wife at about 1pm today, right after lunch, and I was their only customer, but other people did start showing up shortly after I sat down in front of the officer.  He was not friendly, barely talked, and I really can’t see how he could have done things any slower.

He studied each and every page of my passport, which wasn’t much as the passport was only about a year and a half old and there weren’t a lot of stamps in it.

I do not use income, only the money in my bank account, which is a 3 month fixed account with no other deposits and very few withdrawals. He studied each and every page of my bankbook, and then got out his calculator and apparently spent the next 15/20 minutes adding up all of the interest I had gotten since opening the account about 7 years ago.  We just watched, and my wife told me afterwards what he was doing with the calculator.

I then paid, there were a couple of other forms I had to sign, he stamped my application and passport, and he then took a pic of me with his phone, while I was holding up both my passport on the information page and the back of the TM 7 application that has my photo.

He then left and went to the office next door, apparently to get the big guy to sign. That took a little while longer.

I asked my wife to ask him about the report that first time extensions at this office would be getting a home visit. He said no, there would not be a home visit, but then I got the impression that he was probably just a low level guy who may not know so much.

The process took about 45 minutes, but could have easily been done in less than half that time.   Still much, much better than going to Chiang Mai immigration, which I hope to never have to visit again.

On 1.5.2017 at 4:29 PM, higgy88 said:

My report on my first annual retirement extension to be done at Lamphun immigration.

I....

Thanky you Higgy for your interesting report.

My extention will be due shortly and the first time at the now not so new office anymore.

Will report back.

PLEASE....PLEASE......  for anyone living in Lamphun and now able to use the immigration service there:

Try to go with a good attitude.   Just follow the instructions given to you (yes, i know that sometimes they are

not the same , don't ""make sense", or whatever).    Trying to argue or getting angry is not the way to win.

Why do i make this  stupid (to some members, i am sure) request ??    Well,  maybe I will be the next one in line !

As long as we can show Lamphun immigration that we are respectful ....the longer we will be treated in a

similar way. 

Thank you