Wrong ? Blood Sugar test results..

ignis

In Oz they are subsidized by the government as they know the cost will be far greater than the cost of a few test strips.

Some changes to the subsidy in Australia...

http://www.9news.com.au/health/2016/07/17/14/31/controlled-diabetics-forced-to-pay-50-times-more-for-test-strips-after-government-removes-subsidy

Wasn't aware of this change to the subsidy - price is now 50.00 AUD per 100 strips up from 14.00 AUD . It will make a lot of people think again about often they test .

Sorry not about Thailand but still has some relevance.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Oz they are subsidized by the government as they know the cost will be far greater than the cost of a few test strips.

http://www.9news.com.au/health/2016/07/17/14/31/controlled-diabetics-forced-to-pay-50-times-more-for-test-strips-after-government-removes-subsidy

Wasn't aware of this change to the subsidy - price is now 50.00 AUD per 100 strips up from 14.00 AUD . It will make a lot of people think again about often they test .

That's scandalous. I hope the diabetic association are going to protest about that.

Not testing enough due to the high cost of strips can get a lot of people into trouble.

Can you order them in online from overseas? Do they hit you with big import duties?

Edited by tropo

That's scandalous. I hope the diabetic association are going to protest about that.

Not testing enough due to the high cost of strips can get a lot of people into trouble.

Can you order them in online from overseas? Do they hit you with big import duties?

I have just ordered some from e-bay but they are coming from India. Have to wait and see if it is a satisfactory service. I use Nippo and from the States the postage brings the price up to near non subsidiary prices in OZ.

I was testing up to 4 times per day whilst i was taking steroids for my chemo-therapy. Very short sighted of this government especially whilst it is allowing the big end of town get away with minimizing their fair share of tax.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was more interested in what diabetic medication you've been taking. Burping up vinegar all day long is a heavy price to pay for limited benefit as your FBS is still way too high.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Still find it odd.. after evening Insulin injection and 1 hour after evening meal my reading is around 140… last night 18:30 was 143.. Nothing eaten + No drink of any sort before bed 22:00, wake up 06:00 and ‘fasting’ reading is so high !! this morning 280 !!! [only when I have a glass of milk with a spoon full of Cider Apple Vinegar is the reading less than 200 ]

Been taking Metformin for 20 years, and 2x 500mg morning and evening.. until about 7 years ago only ever used Pee strips for testing.. Dr in Thailand said they are no good and so bought a monitor.. even with the monitor only tested every other morning.. always fine 130 – 150..

Then this last May had a problem and was in Hospital for 5 nights, Kidneys failed, blood pressure very very low, Blood sugar very high.. [as I see it that is because I did not Pee for 4 days ?]

the outcome I know have to have new tablets for Low blood pressure, No salt in or on anything, eat a hand full of nuts and drink at least 1x large glass of full fat milk, eat some fruit every meal every day, and now Insulin injections…. Morning set the pen on 32… before evening meal set on 16… as instruction by Dr..

Just don’t know what to expect next Monday Hospital visit.

Edited by ignis

Thanks for clearing that up. I was more interested in what diabetic medication you've been taking. Burping up vinegar all day long is a heavy price to pay for limited benefit as your FBS is still way too high.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Still find it odd.. after evening Insulin injection and 1 hour after evening meal my reading is around 140… last night 18:30 was 143.. Nothing eaten + No drink of any sort before bed 22:00, wake up 06:00 and ‘fasting’ reading is so high !! this morning 280 !!! [only when I have a glass of milk with a spoon full of Cider Apple Vinegar is the reading less than 200 ]

Been taking Metformin for 20 years, and 2x 500mg morning and evening.. until about 7 years ago only ever used Pee strips for testing.. Dr in Thailand said they are no good and so bought a monitor.. even with the monitor only tested every other morning.. always fine 130 – 150..

Then this last May had a problem and was in Hospital for 5 nights, Kidneys failed, blood pressure very very low, Blood sugar very high.. [as I see it that is because I did not Pee for 4 days ?]

the outcome I know have to have new tablets for Low blood pressure, No salt in or on anything, eat a hand full of nuts and drink at least 1x large glass of full fat milk, eat some fruit every meal every day, and now Insulin injections…. Morning set the pen on 32… before evening meal set on 16… as instruction by Dr..

Just don’t know what to expect next Monday Hospital visit.

I apologize, I had no idea of the extent of your condition and that you take diabetic medication AND insulin.

My morning readings were quite high too. Then stayed fairly high most of the day. The doctor recommended taking my 30 units before I go to bed so that the morning reading was lower. He said that my diet kept my numbers fairly constant but that starting high in the morning meant that I was keeping that high number constant. Worked for me.

I hope that made sense.

My morning readings were quite high too. Then stayed fairly high most of the day. The doctor recommended taking my 30 units before I go to bed so that the morning reading was lower. He said that my diet kept my numbers fairly constant but that starting high in the morning meant that I was keeping that high number constant. Worked for me.

I hope that made sense.

makes sense to me...I inject 20 units after supper at about 1830hrs and usually get a fasting BG the next morning of around 85 - 100mg/dl, and that's with 1 x 500mg metformin only after breakfast...

with 3 x 500mg daily metformin alone I get about 120 - 130mg/dl fasting BG...I reckon that insulin puts less of a load on liver/kidneys than the metformin...

also, I've been sticking to a meat and veg diet recently with minimum carbs (one arabic bread daily)...now I got constipation problems from lack of fiber...tryin' to go after that visceral fat...

I hope that made sense.

Yes makes sense, will look to see if i have enough Insulin to last to Monday and if so maybe try a couple of days at 26 units in the evening. [at present 16 units]

You take your insulin before bed ? I take mine before evening meal, but do the test 1 hour later.

I hope that made sense.

makes sense to me...I inject 20 units after supper at about 1830hrs and usually get a fasting BG the next morning of around 85 - 100mg/dl, and that's with 1 x 500mg metformin only after breakfast...

with 3 x 500mg daily metformin alone I get about 120 - 130mg/dl fasting BG...I reckon that insulin puts less of a load on liver/kidneys than the metformin...

also, I've been sticking to a meat and veg diet recently with minimum carbs (one arabic bread daily)...now I got constipation problems from lack of fiber...tryin' to go after that visceral fat...

I reckon that insulin puts less of a load on liver/kidneys than the metformin...

So maybe that is why I have been put on Insulin.. as had Kidney failure end of May............... + another taking there shot after evening meal.. interesting.. so when do you test your blood sugar in the evenings ?

Edit: next door guy in the UK in 2002 went on Atkins Diet, blood sugar went way down, within a year no meds for diabetics anymore., for me just could not face all that meat and fat... always been the same loads of Black coffee and bowl of cornflakes., up to a point that is good because must drink milk every day.

Edited by ignis

cornflakes and milk are highly glycemic; milk has lactose (an 'ose' like in glucose) and plain cornflakes got loads of added sugar...most not sweet breakfast cereals do, if they didn't they'd taste like cardboard...

I have an apple with plain yogurt for breakfast and take a 500mg metformin right after mostly to dampen the BG spike from the lactose in the yogurt...but that's all until the insulin after supper...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

cornflakes and milk are highly glycemic; milk has lactose (an 'ose' like in glucose) and cornflakes got loads of added sugar...most not sweet breakfast cereals do, if they didn't they'd taste like cardboard...

I have an apple with plain yogurt for breakfast and take a 500mg metformin right after mostly to dampen the BG spike from the lactose in the yogurt...but that's all until the insulin after supper...

Spot on with regard to the Cornflakes, but, you are wrong about the milk.

Firstly, most people on the planet can't digest lactose. It's an evolutionary thing, but, most people that can digest lactose are from Central Asian, Caucasian ancestry.

Furthermore, milk, being a food for children, the enzyme responsible for digesting lactose, called lactase (surprise, surprise) slowly decreases throughout your life-time.

cornflakes and milk are highly glycemic; milk has lactose (an 'ose' like in glucose) and cornflakes got loads of added sugar...most not sweet breakfast cereals do, if they didn't they'd taste like cardboard...

Spot on with regard to the Cornflakes, but, you are wrong about the milk.

Firstly, most people on the planet can't digest lactose. It's an evolutionary thing, but, most people that can digest lactose are from Central Asian, Caucasian ancestry.

Furthermore, milk, being a food for children, the enzyme responsible for digesting lactose, called lactase (surprise, surprise) slowly decreases throughout your life-time.

That's a bit of an exaggeration to say "most people on the planet can't digest lactose". There's full on lactose intolerance and a reduced ability to digest lactose.

Even if you believe the figures presented here: https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/lactose-intolerance#statistics that leaves about 2.5 billion people with full ability to digest lactose. I'm happy to be one of them as I usually drink at least a liter a day.

Problem what do you follow ? the advise and diet of the Dr that is treating you, or what is suggested on the Internet, also many time written by a Drs...

In Hospital 5 days I was given Milk with all meals + last thing at night... thought also strange was given white bread 3 slices with every meal. most meals were fried.. also potatoes every evening meal..

on the sheet from the Dr... as must eat per day.. 1 lt Milk Full fat/cream, Apples min 3 per day, big handful of unsalted nuts every day, all Fresh or frozen Berries Red, black, purple best + fresh banana, Strawberries and Cherries [now out of season = way to expensive] anything fried must be done in unsalted butter + All Food needs to be high in Phosphate, Calcium and Vitamin D. NO salt added or in cooking any meals..

I drink a lot of Black Coffee yes is fine... Drink a lots of Diabetic Herb Tea yes fine, Mulberry fine, have tree/bush in garden, so eat the fruit + make Tea = very good..

Used to drink Pepsi Max [sugar free] but that is a big NO NO, and have not drunk any since [now 7 weeks]

When are cherries not way too expensive here? 300 baht for a small punnet right now, and that's on special... and there's never any guarantee they'll be any good no matter how much you pay. Fruit's a gamble at any price. I love cherries - wish they were affordable.

When are cherries not way too expensive here? 300 baht for a small punnet right now, and that's on special... and there's never any guarantee they'll be any good no matter how much you pay. Fruit's a gamble at any price. I love cherries - wish they were affordable.

Sadly yes...... but not just cherries......... Bananas not seen any for a 5 weeks, I pay in season long ones 35 baht a big bunch around 30 + bananas........ Strawberries in season are 60 baht per kg big fat juicy ones, cherries have paid 200 baht per kg, but season appears to be 2 weeks only... at moment Grapes are good at 60 baht per kg and have been for past 3 months also a Good Fruit and on my list to eat., Apples at moment are 40 baht for 10 Royal Gala, last week ripe mango 4 kg was 100 baht, but max is ½ one per day, so not classed as a 'Free' food.

I'm confused.

My diabetes doctor told me to try and cut down on fruit due to all the fructose it contains.

Green veggies and an increased fat intake were her recommendation.

Yes me also....... so am I been treated firstly for Kidney failure, or for Diabetes ? when in the Diabetic Clinic in the same Hospital they also said to cut down on fruit.

So reading web pages about bad Kidneys + function and good kidney health looks like my diet is for kidneys health rather than diabetics. so maybe OK because I do not want to be on dialyses 3x a week and @ 3,000 baht per session would use more than my Pension.. So another question to ask her on Monday [Hospital Dr]

Yet again before going to bed last night at 22:00 my blood sugar was 147, so fine, but on waking up 'fasting' this morning the reading was 248 !!

Those readings just don't make any sense. There could be some problem with your liver, as that is where glucose is manufactured and stored.

I take Janumet 1000g/50g twice a day. It contains two drugs; Metformin which makes the body more receptive to insulin, and Sitagliptin, which I think, causes the liver to produce less glucose.

I'm confused.

My diabetes doctor told me to try and cut down on fruit due to all the fructose it contains.

Talking to a friend yesterday, they are diabetic for about 10 years, and had a Heart Attack in February. The Dr tried different things as they had a severe allergic reaction to metformin..

For the past 6 weeks the Dr has put her on a new diet where Fruit is a FREE Food …nothing is forbidden or how much, Red meat is forbidden must eat small amount of Chicken or Fish, NO red meat at all, and medication is daily ‘Jardiance’ and ‘Tradjenta’ …… So far so good, after only 1 month ‘Jardiance’ is now 1x every 3rd day, and blood sugar reading down around 110-120 from over 200 every morning.

Looks like different Dr have different ideas on diet… My own Dr in the UK back in 2002 also told me All fruit was good sugar, and could snack on any fruit all day.

Edited by ignis

I'm confused.

Talking to a friend yesterday, they are diabetic for about 10 years, and had a Heart Attack in February. The Dr tried different things as they had a severe allergic reaction to metformin..

For the past 6 weeks the Dr has put her on a new diet where Fruit is a FREE Food …nothing is forbidden or how much, Red meat is forbidden must eat small amount of Chicken or Fish, NO red meat at all, and medication is daily ‘Jardiance’ and ‘Tradjenta’ …… So far so good, after only 1 month ‘Jardiance’ is now 1x every 3rd day, and blood sugar reading down around 110-120 from over 200 every morning.

Looks like different Dr have different ideas on diet… My own Dr in the UK back in 2002 also told me All fruit was good sugar, and could snack on any fruit all day.

If you don't already, may I recommend you join a diabetic internet forum. There's a good chance you can find someone who can help you who's been through similar battles. There's a lot of knowledgeable people on these forums and you won't get flamed left right and centre for asking questions, as is often the case on this forum. People are very polite and helpful and they have categories for the various types of diabetic sufferers. i.e. Pre-diabetic, Type I, Type II and Type 1.5 (I think that could be your type).

I don't want to mention the forum I use here, but PM me if your interested.

up-date re post 38...

yesterday evening was just 30 units left in a Vial, so gave myself the 30 units [been on 16 units evenings]

06:30 this morning my reading is 87 .. guess that was too much Insulin ?....... as have enough Insulin will try 26 units tonight

glade I tried at least will have something to show the Dr on Monday... maybe I need a higher dose than Dr 16 units.and she will correct it ?

per these folks,

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/Diabetes/diagnosis-diabetes-prediabetes/Pages/index.aspx

below 99mg/dl is a normal fasting BG reading so I would target that same range as something to achieve with insulin injections...I been messing around with the insulin recently meself, started with 20 units after supper which gave around 85mg/dl in the morning then 15 units which gave about the same and then with 10 units I got 97mg/dl...so I'll stick with around 15 units...

for about 11 years after I was diagnosed with type 2 my BG was badly controlled, then I developed high blood pressure which I ignored until I was laid low by a mild stroke and an ishemic (sp?) incident after...from the poorly controlled BG I now have bad neuropathy in my feet and have had erectile dysfunction now for about 10 years...

best to try and control the BG (i.e., stay close to normal) as best ye can...

Maybe of interest to others.. last 3 nights gave myself 26 units of insulin.. Fasting reading well down.. 148, 151 and this morning 149. [so well below the Dr's recommended 200 or just under target]

Maybe of interest to others.. last 3 nights gave myself 26 units of insulin.. Fasting reading well down.. 148, 151 and this morning 149. [so well below the Dr's recommended 200 or just under target]

I don't understand how a doctor could recommend 200 or just under as a target. According to the research I've seen cellular damage starts at around 140 mg/dl.

Some of these research findings may come as a surprise to many (they were for me):

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php

Edited by tropo

I don't understand how a doctor could recommend 200 or just under as a target. According to the research I've seen cellular damage starts at around 140 mg/dl.

Some of these research findings may come as a surprise to many (they were for me):

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045678.php

Dr wrote it in English and in Thai, so 100% correct on what she stated... there again UK did have a different type of reading, My Dr in UK 20 years ago and up to 2003 [when I moved here] said I should aim for a reading of 12, and not more than 14.. that is double what the website states you posted..

Maybe this was re 1st visit to Red Cross Hospital outpatients and Insulin, and tomorrow she will give another figure...

What a day.. out from home at 4:30 - arrived back home at 21:40... worst problem is the noise, every floor and room I had to visit was the noise.. and yes before leaving home took 2 pain killer, yet before midday my head was killing me with all the noise..

The outcome she the Dr is very happy with results, and still is under 200 is a good reading !! when I pointed out this was high she said the goal in a year or so is 100 - 140... she has upped my evening Insulin to 26 from 16...

Odd things.. I need a glaucoma test every 6 months., fine same as before for some years, but that ended end of 2003 in the UK when I moved here.. but the 1st available appointment here is end March 2560 YES 2017 for a glaucoma test !!.. I have asked in years past many time, here [Opticians and is local Hospitals] and no one knows what a glaucoma test is or how to do.... The other test must see a foot Dr every 6 months,, very 1st appointment for this is 22 September, at least it is this year.. No idea why, as do not need a Dr to tell me about my feet.. No feelings/nerves in them for past 15 + years, if damage then is only what I can see, eg: pool of blood on floor, yes a few times, yes been to Hospital a couple of times here for stitches and dressings, on top cut or black toes = I have dropped something on them or hit them somewhere, very often.... at least there has been no pain in them for years.. what on earth can a new Dr tell me ?.

It's hard to fathom how difficult it is to have a glaucoma test - a test necessary to protect your eyes from further harm. It really is sad and makes one wonder what we're doing in such a backward country.

Maybe the foot doctor is necessary to determine when an amputation is necessary. Judging on how much you seem to know and how difficult it is to get to see a doctor, you're probably better off not wasting your time... and just focus on getting the glaucoma test sometime this decade.smile.png .. and keeping your BG as low as possible.

Edited by tropo

• 1 month later...

tropo Quote....... Maybe the foot doctor is necessary to determine when an amputation is necessary..........

Well was there yesterday, what a performance, 2 girls, then another 2, then a older one a Dr with a different girl, then 2 Doctors. all doing the same tests and asking the same questions...... went into the room [5th floor] at 12:40 came out at 16:35, the outcome was I am having shoes and saddles made. shoes maker appointment next Thursday..  but also came with a warning.. will take 4 months to make them !!!

I did learn something, why/possible reason  feet and ankles so swollen, was at stage 5 of kidney failure, getting better with a diet of high dairy products  and fruit intake.. bad kidneys = bad circulation + maybe the Insulin? have an allege?  can also affect foot swelling..  Problem is 20 years on Metformin often leads to Kidney problems/failure

It is simple.. I came to Thailand with 3x shoes + 2 x saddles in 2003,  the only UK shoe left is far to small when my feet are swollen so cannot wear,  so wear Crocs which are far to small...  my size is UK 13 or size 47 here, largest size here 44..  about 4 years ago did have a pair made, very expensive and fell to bits within 1 yr..

Re the BG, last 2 months evenings 98 - 130, morning 112 - 140.. ..   Foot Dr also took a BG test was 132 mid afternoon.