What's the benefit of a Curved TV screen

skippybangkok

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The technology used to make these very high definition screens does not allow for flat screens, they must be curved by necessity. I haven't studied the technology in detail I just know from an early tech review that was the case when these screens first popped up in the shows.

And for 3D TV (Samsung Plasma) I bought one without actually knowing it had 3D functionality until I unpacked it at home. I am very happy with the 3D and watch downloaded 3D movies on it all the time when they are released, amazing immersive experience. But the Screen has to be really big to enjoy the 3D fully, at least 54 inch.

Edited by AlQaholic

The technology used to make these very high definition screens does not allow for flat screens, they must be curved by necessity. I haven't studied the technology in detail I just know from an early tech review that was the case when these screens first popped up in the shows.

And for 3D TV (Samsung Plasma) I bought one without actually knowing it had 3D functionality until I unpacked it at home. I am very happy with the 3D and watch downloaded 3D movies on it all the time when they are released, amazing immersive experience. But the Screen has to be really big to enjoy the 3D fully, at least 54 inch.

Oh!

I must inspect my 4K TV more closely.

From every angle I have looked at it, it seems to be as flat as a pancake.

Maybe I have some production defective model?

I have always looked at curved TVs in the store and wondered " What moron will buy this " Now I have my answer

Thanks Guys

it's a matter of perspective and attitude to think that somebody who can afford to spend a few hundred thousand Baht for a TV is a moron.

and it's a matter of personal taste buying a curved, straight, waved, square, round, tiny, huge or crooked TV.

now you have my answer whistling.gif

I have a 65 inch OLED LG tv. It's curved but opposite to LED the screen looks the same from every angle. Actually the price of the one shown above is not too bad for a 78 inch. If you go higher than 55 inch prices of Tvs go up fast.

Yeah I thought the price was decent and am going to have a look.

Sorry regarding my statement about curved tv being a result of technology used, I just checked and I was wrong, I apparently mixed up some early tech review about the curved screens and the manufacturers claim that curved TV offers a better viewing experience. My apologies, I will check my facts better next time I open my blabby trap.

I have always looked at curved TVs in the store and wondered " What moron will buy this " Now I have my answer

Thanks Guys

it's a matter of perspective and attitude to think that somebody who can afford to spend a few hundred thousand Baht for a TV is a moron.

and it's a matter of personal taste buying a curved, straight, waved, square, round, tiny, huge or crooked TV.

now you have my answer whistling.gif

Indeed.. seems a lot like envy by some posters here. Personally I would not spend my money on it but I don't judge others spending on it either.

There is NO advantage, unless you, and you alone are the only one watching the TV and you ALWAYS sit at the focal point of the curve.

Like too many things, the curved screen is nothing more than a marketing gimmick aimed at the unwashed masses.

...unwatching masses...

Curved or flat, any modern 1080p HDTV will have a good picture with smaller screen sizes. With larger screen sizes 4K UHD can bring some benefit, though at this stage 4K programs is still quite limited.

Curved amy be a little more immersive, but seems a gimmick. In the end it is content that makes or breaks TV. No matter how flash the tech, it is not going to make a rubbish program any better. About the only TV I watch is sport at a pub, which these days looks quite good on a decent sized flat screen from various angles. Rugby is often a look…..soccer never is..

Edited by Aj Mick

Thanks Guys

Obviously we’re impressed with this monitor. Its uniqueness is almost enough to recommend on its own, but it performs well too. Because there is truly nothing else like it and it delivers on accuracy, build quality and styling, we’re giving the 34UC97 our Tom’s Approved award.

LG 34UC97 34-Inch Ultra-Wide Curved Monitor Review.

I've a 34 in curved monitor and a 55 inch flat screen Sony TV. Both are 4K.

I sit in directly in front of the monitor and the curved screen is great for immersive movie watching. The flat screen I sit about 10 feet away and it will do 4k or internet or 3d and play station and cast from phones. Sony has a thing that upscales non 4k content to much better resolution.

I really like the curved screen monitor but in the living room since people watch and play games from many places in the room the flat screen seems to do a better job.

Edited by Scotwight

Curved or flat, any modern 1080p HDTV will have a good picture with smaller screen sizes. With larger screen sizes 4K UHD can bring some benefit, though at this stage 4K programs is still quite limited.

Curved amy be a little more immersive, but seems a gimmick. In the end it is content that makes or breaks TV. No matter how flash the tech, it is not going to make a rubbish program any better. About the only TV I watch is sport at a pub, which these days looks quite good on a decent sized flat screen from various angles. Rugby is often a look…..soccer never is..

4K Video Ultra HD Content: YouTube, Vimeo, and Ways to Create It Using Smartphones and Camera’s. Kodi has a bunch too.

post-246924-0-25736900-1466394391_thumb.

I have a 65 inch OLED LG tv. It's curved but opposite to LED the screen looks the same from every angle. Actually the price of the one shown above is not too bad for a 78 inch. If you go higher than 55 inch prices of Tvs go up fast.

with youe wisdom and another 75 baht i can go have a cheapo charlie liquid lunch . bada bada bing

with your wisdom and another 75 baht i can go have a chepo liquid lunch ....bada bada bing

Has pretty much everyone has mentioned here - curved screen TVs have very little benefit over flat-screens and it is basically just another marketing gimmick dreamt up by the big TV manufacturers. (same as 'touch-screen' PC's).

TV manufacturers will tell you that unless you are literally 'face-on' (ie; 90 degrees) to your TV, the picture quality degenerates considerably. The argument is that anyone viewing the TV from the side gets an extremely poor view and much of this is affected by external light sources, glare etc. To be honest, this problem is easily solved by simply moving further back from your TV - thereby reducing the angle to close to the optimum 90 degrees. To repeat - curved screens are just a marketing gimmick and IMHO not worth buying!

The same can be said of 4K TV - and I would seriously urge people NOT to buy these also! 4K is merely a 'stop-gap' variant of the next generation of TV's - 8K. Unfortunately, the big TV manufacturers (Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, LG etc) have not yet perfected the technology. However 8K will be a major revolution in TV development - with full 3D, HD and 'liquid capabilities' (it will be available in a 'roll-up' form, so you can literally roll it up and take it from room to room and just affix it to any flat surface!)

Some of the current 1080p flat screen TV's on the market are perfectly adequate and as they are considered as 'outdated' can be picked up at very reasonable prices. Personally, I am sticking with my SONY flat screen until 8K comes onto the market in 2-3 years time!

Edited by gios50hk

This type of curved TV screen, is an invention based upon the indigenous Australian boomerang, and the market is aimed at avid sports fans who's team keeps loosing. So now when the enraged looser throws his TV out of the window, it returns safe and sound. So even at the retail cost of 260,000 Bhat, it works out financially viable.

That's the SALE price! Look at the price on the placard upper left - 449,990. crazy.gif

Conclusive proof that there's a sucker born every minute.

Yes that is correct. That is why electronics improvements are rolled out so rapidly so that its out with the old in with the new well after a short trip to your friendly banker.

If you get 3 or 6 of them and play a FPS game in eyefinity or vision surround I could imagine the benefit.

However it's pointless as it will probably have lots of input lag/latency V's a monitor.

I think it's a gimmick personally.

360 degree viewing buy a bunch of them and make a circle around you and buy a swivel chair.

Truth, very little. The screen is OLED (Organic light emitting diode), it is self illuminating and does not require CCFL or LED to back light the screen. It is the only flexible flatscreen technology today.

But it is hard to manufacture in large screen and Samsung, Sony, Panasonic (infact everyone except LG) is pulling away from it.

The smaller OLED screens used in smartphones will continue but the big boys are basically focusing on high resolution such as 8K screens (UHD is 4k resolution) for big TV screens.

My advice is buy a 4K flatscreen for way less, it will last years and years and give a great picture.