Helmet advice

Kenny202

Looking around at helmets..done a bit of research and appears the Thai Index brand and their ilk not safe and no international cert / testing.

I don't have the money to spend on a Shoei or AGV etc. Few brands I've seen are Real, Bimola and HJC. I really like the HJC CL ST11 and is at the right price at 3800 baht. Any advice welcome

I remember back in Australia HJC were about the bottom of the barrel. Mind you I can remember back in the 70s Shoei were crap

Edited by Kenny202

i like the REAL brand helmet, they can be a little hot but i noticed a few of the newer models now have the grooved foam which in theory should promote air flow.

At least with the REAL there is little chance of someone stealing it, and it does a good job on protection; at least for low speed as i have crash tested one at 20-30 kph. Saved the noggin from a hard whack with the tarmac, not even a head ache. Collarbone was a different story.

Shark also has some helmets around the 3-4k mark. But find a helmet that suits your head. The REAL suits my head shape while i know for others it is not a good fit. If you like the HJC grab it and then put a REAL sticker over the top of the HJC logo. laugh.png

Edited by taichiplanet

I went an tried a HJC XL size and it was just too snug. I don't know if I'd be able to wear any full face helmet here after that. Just too hot and uncomfortable

Personal choice of course, but i'd rather be sweaty than plant my face on the road.

From the forehead down, you have a 63.6% chance of hitting your face in an accident, with the highest rate of impact on the lower-right chin area at 19.4%

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2014/04/oh-no-they-didnt-icon-goes-there-with-the-airframe-statistic/

post-70604-0-09121000-1466343270_thumb.g

stats were gathered from 218 accidents, so not a huge sample

http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/hic/Helmeted_MC_JTrauma.pdf

Edited by taichiplanet

I don't trust Real helmets, i had one, to me there was too much polystyrene and not enough foam. I also found the inner material to wear rather too quickly in areas of high abrasion.

I checked out a work colleagues bimola the other week, the build quality was far better than I had imagined, but I don't like the shape myself, but they do come in nice bright colors.

I have 3x LS2 helmets which I think are the same quality and price as HJC .. I put Bimola in the same price Vs quality bracket.

For a PCX there is a Thai? / Asian helmet that has a flip up BMW style visor.

Can't remember the name but I'm still looking. I thought it started with a P but it might be LS2? The one I'm thinking was only about 2,000 baht.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/680544-ls2-helmets-any-reviews-or-opinions-about-the-quality/

ls2-ff394-epic-flip-up-helmet-gets-snell

Edited by VocalNeal

For a PCX there is a Thai? / Asian helmet that has a flip up BMW style visor.

Can't remember the name but I'm still looking. I thought it started with a P but it might be LS2? The one I'm thinking was only about 2,000 baht.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/680544-ls2-helmets-any-reviews-or-opinions-about-the-quality/

ls2-ff394-epic-flip-up-helmet-gets-snell

Bilmola do a flip up helmet like that, saw one yesterday. Looked nice too but I've heard the flip up helmets are no where near the same protection as a full face. In any case I'd have the thing flipped up all the time defeating the purpose!

Tried to buy an open face ,Bimola and Real helmet from the shops and internet. Even they didnt have my size or couldnt be bothered to order, I went in the end to Ali Express and bought a Beon make open face. 2,000 bht and got 2 weeks later. No taxes.Pleased with the result as only seen it in the pictures. I know its always best to try on first but by now was pissed off with trying to get one here. Even contacted Real HQ asking to send one but they couldnt be bothered asking me to contact the local dealer who didnt have one or even stock that model !

Ended up buying a HJC CL17. Shop only had one, didn't actually see it there sitting in a corner by itself. Was surprised to see it had DOT and Snell Certification so has to b e a bargain for 4200 bt. Reviews are very good. Wasn't really tge colour I wanted but hey, happy to get such a safe helmet at a good price.

I tried the flip faces didn't like them at all. With the front flipped up was very over balanced pulling ur head forward. They only had 2 cheaper styles there so maybe the higher end ones are better

Ended up buying a HJC CL17. Shop only had one, didn't actually see it there sitting in a corner by itself. Was surprised to see it had DOT and Snell Certification so has to b e a bargain for 4200 bt. Reviews are very good. Wasn't really tge colour I wanted but hey, happy to get such a safe helmet at a good price.

I tried the flip faces didn't like them at all. With the front flipped up was very over balanced pulling ur head forward. They only had 2 cheaper styles there so maybe the higher end ones are better

Good one! i might end up getting the same or a Shark. The LS2 doesn't seem bad either. The thing that worries me about the REAL and Bilmola helmets is that while they say they comply with DOT and ECE, i've never seen them sold overseas where i would think they'd have to be tested to be certified. Maybe someone can correct me if this is wrong. Also DOT standard is basically self regulated anyway.

i've never had any quality issues with REAL, and have used them for 7 years, but i get a new one every 2 years and don't leave it out in the sun.

this online shop has been mentioned before in the bike forum, but worth mentioning again as it seems to have a good variety

http://www.helmet2home.com

I didn't think Real had a DOT rating? Least not the ones I've seen. I don't even know if they have the ECE rating. Same for Bilmola. The HJC I bought has a DOT and Snell rating. Apparently the Snell rating is the most regarded. Nice looking helmets granted but the guy in the shop told me they were built for looks not accidents! I'm in Khon Kaen and stocks / brands mainly cheapie so I was lucky to get what I could. I would have liked to look at the LS2 but couldn't find any here. I'd be careful buying online mate. I tried on a lot of helmets last 2 weeks and found size L in one brand very roomy and XL in another brand too snug. Sometimes 2 helmets, same brand and size felt different. I couldn't find anything much on foreign websites but the HJC I bought is recognised as huge bang for buck and safety in the States. Good enough for me

Edited by Kenny202

Well done on the HJC.

I think that they are a great bang-for-buck helmet, and while they are not an AGV, Shoei etc., I think the quality gap between the most expensive and the cheapest (still properly certified) is way smaller than 10 - 15 years ago.

I didn't think Real had a DOT rating? Least not the ones I've seen. I don't even know if they have the ECE rating. Same for Bilmola. The HJC I bought has a DOT and Snell rating. Apparently the Snell rating is the most regarded. Nice looking helmets granted but the guy in the shop told me they were built for looks not accidents! I'm in Khon Kaen and stocks / brands mainly cheapie so I was lucky to get what I could. I would have liked to look at the LS2 but couldn't find any here. I'd be careful buying online mate. I tried on a lot of helmets last 2 weeks and found size L in one brand very roomy and XL in another brand too snug. Sometimes 2 helmets, same brand and size felt different. I couldn't find anything much on foreign websites but the HJC I bought is recognised as huge bang for buck and safety in the States. Good enough for me

how is the CL 17? seems to have good airflow, what about the noise level?

i went to a couple of shops today that had HJC, Shark, Bilmola and REAL. Now deciding between the HJC CL-17 (THB 4200) or HJC CL-ST (THB 3800). Probably go with the CL-17 as has more air vents but can only get it with the Matt finish which i find marks too easily. The Shark S600 (THB 5100) was okay, but not many air vents. The CL-ST was a slightly better fit for me, but not many vents.

Anyone have the CL-ST and found the airlfow was okay?

a few years ago several REAL helmets were DOT rated, now mainly ECE. Looks like only one of the current helmets is DOT.

A couple of links to check ratings/certification (different organisations have different tests. cannot find a list of helmets that are certified ECE)

Snell www.smf.org/cert

SHARP http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ (UK Government rating)

Mate I been sick last few days so haven't had an opportunity to use it. Mines matt finish, that's all they had. Was in another shop today had a great selection of gloss in the same models. Wish I would have known they've been closed last 2 weeks with a death in the family

Edited by Kenny202

I just looked at the rear of my real helmet and it has a dot rateing stamp. I had a bilmola modular helmet that I used for a 6 months prior to owning the Real helmet and the bilmola was showing signs of wear on the inside within 6 months, it was also 1.8kg and the Real is 1.4kg. The Real is a better fit for my head, better double D closure. I have also have owned A shoie and Bell helmets in the past and I have to say for the price the Real helmet is a stand out. I will be replacing my helmet shortly and if I'm buying it in thailand it will be a Real.

I'd be careful buying online mate.

It used to be the only way i could find a helmet within the 4-7K bracket.

Places in my town either sold overinflated shark helmets or last years model AGV and similar which I'm never too sure if they are copies. They never stocked my size and I was forever nagging them to order ("next time we place an order we will get a small sir" yeah OK.

So I started to use helmet2home .. It's a risk ordering online, I know, but you can always return a helmet to him.

I ordered 2 sizes in the model I wanted, tried them both around the house for as long as I wanted and returned one. You can't do that in a shop. :D

He's a cool guy, always happy to help. Contactable on line messenger where he will send you pictures .. Delivery is usually the next day ( CM to Songkhla !! ) great service.

I just looked at the rear of my real helmet and it has a dot rateing stamp. I had a bilmola modular helmet that I used for a 6 months prior to owning the Real helmet and the bilmola was showing signs of wear on the inside within 6 months, it was also 1.8kg and the Real is 1.4kg. The Real is a better fit for my head, better double D closure. I have also have owned A shoie and Bell helmets in the past and I have to say for the price the Real helmet is a stand out. I will be replacing my helmet shortly and if I'm buying it in thailand it will be a Real.

the thing that worries me about REAL (and Bilmola) is that i haven't seen any independant tests. it is easy enough putting a label on something saying it complies with such and such, but until it is actually sold in that market, then i would guess it doesn't have to be actually certified. i am not saying that they don't comply, just that it would be nice to know for sure that they have gone through something like the SHARP test.

Anyone know of a list of ECE certified Helmets?

Apparently Bilmola is looking at selling into Europe at some stage. Maybe!

http://www.autospinn.com/2016/01/bilmola-helmet-aim-to-growth-40-in-2016/

i wouldn't mind getting a REAL Hornet-GP-Race for tootling around town, but haven't seen any available.

Edited by taichiplanet

Good one! i might end up getting the same or a Shark. The LS2 doesn't seem bad either. The thing that worries me about the REAL and Bilmola helmets is that while they say they comply with DOT and ECE, i've never seen them sold overseas where i would think they'd have to be tested to be certified. Maybe someone can correct me if this is wrong. Also DOT standard is basically self regulated anyway.

i've never had any quality issues with REAL, and have used them for 7 years, but i get a new one every 2 years and don't leave it out in the sun.

7 years?blink.png

quality helmet is the protection of head.

For seven years, any helmet will lose its quality protection.
1. your sweat is corrosive chemicals
capable of destroying the inside of the helmet.
2. The outer layer is also prone to acid alkaline substances

Took the CL17 out today for first ride and must say very impressed. Normally hate full faced helmets but the venting in this one amazing. Hot sweaty humid day today and didn't feel uncomfortable at all. Is there anything you can do to limit sweat in the helmet apart from wiping your melon before you put the helmet on

7 years?blink.png

quality helmet is the protection of head.

For seven years, any helmet will lose its quality protection.
1. your sweat is corrosive chemicals
capable of destroying the inside of the helmet.
2. The outer layer is also prone to acid alkaline substances

i actually said i have been using "them" for several years and get a new one every 2 years; meaning in the last 7 years i have had 4 REAL helmets replacing the old one with a new one. For the very reasons you stated, and don't forget about UV.

Took the CL17 out today for first ride and must say very impressed. Normally hate full faced helmets but the venting in this one amazing. Hot sweaty humid day today and didn't feel uncomfortable at all. Is there anything you can do to limit sweat in the helmet apart from wiping your melon before you put the helmet on

other than strapping a couple of cold beer cans to the side of it, i don't think so. burp.gif

post-70604-0-24429700-1466744438_thumb.j

i actually said i have been using "them" for several years and get a new one every 2 years; meaning in the last 7 years i have had 4 REAL helmets replacing the old one with a new one. For the very reasons you stated, and don't forget about UV.

Ok then

Sorry

change evry 2-3 year its good.

Hope you never tested qality any helmet.

Best regards on roars

I do not trust DOT

DOT care about helmet not about my head and brain

DOT - testing the manufacturer in his laboratory. not even obliged to send full test results.

DOT standarts from 1985..

ECE tested in his laboratory NOT helmets manufacturer 7 different way.

SHARP on my opinion more seriose testing.

its as mix SNELL+ECE

And I hear need test not one time model need test each batch produced helmets.

Be advised that the HJC CL-17 only includes the Snell certification in the sizes below 3XL. Otherwise it is DOT certified only.

I wonder how many other helmets have similar caveats.

• DOT & SNELL M2015 approved
    • CL-17 Plus (3XL-5XL): DOT Only
  • Available Sizes: XS – 5XL (CL-17 PLUS: 3XL-5XL-DOT only)