Now, Illegal to Walk in CM Roads? I Don't THINK So. Please tell it to the MPs !

WonderousWand

Had just come from a religious meeting that had lifted his heart.Ermmmmm,over indulged in the ceremonial wine a tad too much.High on happiness to his fellow man.I think high on something else.I dont believe a word of it.The guys crazy,seeing an American Military man in uniform whilst walking in the road?.I dont know what time this was posted,but i bet it wasn't long after closing.Is this the same guy that saw the Malayan flight from his balcony ,hovering over Bangkok or where ever.

Crazy,i tell ya's.

1. I did not say he was in uniform. I said he was a USA MP, based on the same profiling techniques used by all major city police forces in the USA.

2. I have never lived in Bangkok. And never had a balcony there.

3. But I do have a film of aircraft flying low, landing, which I might post in the future, on another topic.

Now we learn you are an expert on "profiling techniques used by all major city police forces in the USA."

You are a man of many talents. Strange that you can't walk without banging into street signs.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had just come from a religious meeting that had lifted his heart.Ermmmmm,over indulged in the ceremonial wine a tad too much.High on happiness to his fellow man.I think high on something else.I dont believe a word of it.The guys crazy,seeing an American Military man in uniform whilst walking in the road?.I dont know what time this was posted,but i bet it wasn't long after closing.Is this the same guy that saw the Malayan flight from his balcony ,hovering over Bangkok or where ever.

Crazy,i tell ya's.

1. I did not say he was in uniform. I said he was a USA MP, based on the same profiling techniques used by all major city police forces in the USA.

3. But I do have a film of aircraft flying low, landing, which I might post in the future, on another topic.

Now we learn you are an expert on "profiling techniques used by all major city police forces in the USA."

You are a man of many talents. Strange that you can't walk without banging into street signs.

My head banging problem has been solved already.

I have taken to walking in the road, and not on the pavement.

By the way, I very much welcome the Aussies who like to say Pathway.

But, I guess pavement is correct, and then sidewalk, and then on down to pathway.

You start out by complaining about not being able to walk in the road which is meant for vehicle traffic...as opposed to walking on the sidewalk which is designed for pedestrian traffic...

Enter fat man on bike dressed as military police...you do not know for sure he is American...but you assume he is...telling you to walk where everyone is supposed to walk...the sidewalk...

Peeved at being put in your place...you deflect your attention and begin a rant on about America and Americans to soothe your fragile ego...

Please...do go walk in the mountains...they have elephants who patrol the roads up there...

You start out by complaining about not being able to walk in the road which is meant for vehicle traffic...as opposed to walking on the sidewalk which is designed for pedestrian traffic...

Enter fat man on bike dressed as military police...you do not know for sure he is American...but you assume he is...telling you to walk where everyone is supposed to walk...the sidewalk...

Peeved at being put in your place...you deflect your attention and begin a rant on about America and Americans to soothe your fragile ego...

Please...do go walk in the mountains...they have elephants who patrol the roads up there...

If this so-called American had ordered me to get back on the pavement, then I would have happily complied.

This would have shown he had a broader knowledge of the world, and just for that I might have gladly humored him.

But he assumed everyone thought of the unmaintained area as a sidewalk, which it actually was not.

It was more of a ledge for growing potted trees, and planting advertising signposts.

"Then suddenly I saw ahead of me what looked like one of those GI Joe figures astride a bike coming towards me in one of those bike lanes I do not often notice. When this military man was just about on top of me, he suddenly stretched out his left arm in traffic cop fashion and called out for me to get back up on the sidewalk. Apparently, I had inadvertently encroached on his bike lane territory. He seemed extremely displeased, just as I was dismayed.

His accent left no doubt he was American, and he looked like a giant USA MP."

Are you stating that a large man in a US military uniform did this, or are you practicing your creative writing skills?

I think he is recovering fr0m the rise in the cost of eggs. He eats 5 a day and it has proven to be an immense dent in his spending money.

eggcactely blame Bangkok for not providing enough funds

Crazy,i tell ya's.

But, I guess pavement is correct, and then sidewalk, and then on down to pathway.

So instead of paying attention to your surroundings, you have left the sidewalk and are walking in traffic. In the interest of safety, of course.

Are you sure you thoroughly thought this one through?

Crazy,i tell ya's.

So instead of paying attention to your surroundings, you have left the sidewalk and are walking in traffic. In the interest of safety, of course.

Absolutely...

1. It is not very practical to try to walk 15 kilometers on the pavement here in Chiang Mai, especially if one is walking at about 6Kph.

2. The problem ensues, because one needs to keep alternating from the road to the pavement, and back again, each time the pavement is blocked by bus waiting booths, by trees, by people that park their cars so that they completely block pedestrian travel, and due to the pavement just ending for a long distance.

3. So the smart move is to not risk straining an ankle on the uneven pavement, but instead to walk against oncoming traffic, while traveling as close to the curb as possible.

4. In the future, probably I will choose routes where there are as few sidewalks as possible.

5. And, I will not walk where there are many bikers, especially those coming down from the zoo area.

6. If well planned, I should be able to choose a route where there are few Farang bikers.

Some riders and drivers probably do not realize that it is safest for pedestrians to walk against traffic, if they must walk in the road.

7. The other concern is the vendors selling food on the sidewalks, pathways, and pavement.

Not that I worry about bumping my head, but that I am often too tempted by what they are selling.

Anyway, I certainly do not mind walking in the road.

Absolutely...

1. It is not very practical to try to walk 15 kilometers on the pavement here in Chiang Mai, especially if one is walking at about 6Kph.

2. The problem ensues, because one needs to keep alternating from the road to the pavement, and back again, each time the pavement is blocked by bus waiting booths, by trees, by people that park their cars so that they completely block pedestrian travel, and due to the pavement just ending for a long distance.

3. So the smart move is to not risk straining an ankle on the uneven pavement, but instead to walk against oncoming traffic, while traveling as close to the curb as possible.

4. In the future, probably I will choose routes where there are as few sidewalks as possible.

5. And, I will not walk where there are many bikers, especially those coming down from the zoo area.

6. If well planned, I should be able to choose a route where there are few Farang bikers.

Some riders and drivers probably do not realize that it is safest for pedestrians to walk against traffic, if they must walk in the road.

7. The other concern is the vendors selling food on the sidewalks, pathways, and pavement.

Not that I worry about bumping my head, but that I am often too tempted by what they are selling.

"2. The problem ensues, because one needs to keep alternating from the road to the pavement, and back again, each time the pavement is blocked by bus waiting booths, by trees, by people that park their cars so that they completely block pedestrian travel, and due to the pavement just ending for a long distance.

3. So the smart move is to not risk straining an ankle on the uneven pavement, but instead to walk against oncoming traffic, while traveling as close to the curb as possible."

I and most other people (Chinese tourists excepted) generally alternate between the sidewalk and the edge of the road, whichever is open. The frequent sidesteps aren't all that inconvenient, and add a little extra exercise to the walk. I suggest you try it. The risk of a sprained ankle is trivial compared to the risk of being sent flying over the hood of a car or taking a motorbike in the crotch.

Oh, and keep an eye out for low hanging street signs. There's a lot to be said for watching where you are going.

Edited by heybruce

Crazy,i tell ya's.

Absolutely...

"2. The problem ensues, because one needs to keep alternating from the road to the pavement, and back again, each time the pavement is blocked by bus waiting booths, by trees, by people that park their cars so that they completely block pedestrian travel, and due to the pavement just ending for a long distance.

3. So the smart move is to not risk straining an ankle on the uneven pavement, but instead to walk against oncoming traffic, while traveling as close to the curb as possible."

I and most other people (Chinese tourists excepted) generally alternate between the sidewalk and the edge of the road, whichever is open. The frequent sidesteps aren't all that inconvenient, and add a little extra exercise to the walk. I suggest you try it. The risk of a sprained ankle is trivial compared to the risk of being sent flying over the hood of a car or taking a motorbike in the crotch.

Taking a motorbike, one with two riders aboard, in the crotch would be nothing new to me.

Edited by WonderousWand

Taking a motorbike, one with two riders aboard, in the crotch would be nothing new to me.

Wasn't once enough?

Edited by heybruce

...and what did you do?

Did you comply, just keep walking, flip the bird or cuss him out?

...and those 2 guys look more gay pride, that US military...not that there is anything wrong with that...

Those 2 in the photo...

They are American SEALs.

If by "Navy Seals" you mean Bradley Cooper the actor...then yes you are correct.

http://www.celebitchy.com/369797/bradley_cooper_shorty_shorts_american_sniper/

So, are you saying Bradley Cooper ordered you to walk on the footpath?

Awesome story bro.

Edited by DLock

Aussies use the term footpath in lieu of the American sidewalk.. I've never heard the term pathway used in Australia, except as promotional material from a financial adviser, e.g.

" Pathway to Riches/Retirement" etc. etc. " Footpath to Riches" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Edited by bazza40

Aussies use the term footpath in lieu of the American sidewalk.. I've never heard the term pathway used in Australia, except as promotional material from a financial adviser, e.g.

" Pathway to Riches/Retirement" etc. etc. " Footpath to Riches" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Footpath it is, and always has been, for us Aussies.

Now showing my age but in 1957 when I started work in George St,Sydney perhaps one of the better known Sydney streets used to have a yellow line down the centre of the footbath,you were supposed to keep on the left hand side as you would driving on the road.

I remember being admonished by a man who waved his walking stick at me for walking on the wrong side of the footpath. Why I should remember such a trivial moment I have no idea.

Footpath it is, and always has been, for us Aussies.

Now showing my age but in 1957 when I started work in George St,Sydney perhaps one of the better known Sydney streets used to have a yellow line down the centre of the footbath,you were supposed to keep on the left hand side as you would driving on the road.

I remember being admonished by a man who waved his walking stick at me for walking on the wrong side of the footpath. Why I should remember such a trivial moment I have no idea.

We humans seem to understand group hierarchy and authority. When one of the group oversteps, thereby treading on our personal space, it becomes a serious situation that we tend to replay or recall, over and over.

Maybe it has some survival benefit.

This person has to be a troll, when possible walk on the sidewalk it is safer for all

Yeah, have you tried it on Nimman?

whistling.gif

Soi on Nimman have sidewalk?blink.png

Where?

I am sure I need glass..

To old, to oldbeatdeadhorse.gifdry.png