'Rare' gold-ringed cat snake gets stuck under Phuket man's car, freed

webfact

'Rare' gold-ringed cat snake gets stuck under Phuket man's car, freed

1466332590_1.jpg

PHUKET: -- It took rescue workers the better part of 20 minutes to carefully free a gold-ringed cat snake from the bottom of a man's car in Phuket City's Talad Yai sub district.

Sompop Jeungcharoen went to eat at rice and curry with his family at a restaurant on Luang Por Sam Rd, as he usually does. But this time, upon returning to his car, he noticed something shiny on the bottom of his car. Closer examination revealed that it was a snake, but not any kind of snake that anyone could identify, so Sompop called for help.

"In all my 40 years I've never seen a snake. This is the first one!" an excited Sompop reported to Kusoldham Rescue Workers, who were also surprised to see the snake.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/rare-gold-ringed-cat-snake-gets-stuck-under-phuket-man-car-freed-57922.php

(Phuket News)

Where is the Cat come from in it's name?

I'm pretty sure that snake is a banded krait.

banded%20krait%201.jpg

Not rare at all.

Very nasty though.

I agree with you it looks very much like a Krait. Definitely not a snake to mess with. A worthwhile ebook is "Snakes of Thailand" it is free when you register (for free as well). If anyone wants a copy and can't find it let me know and I will post a copy

banded%20krait%201.jpg

Not rare at all.

Very nasty though.

Just looked up Cat snakes and it looks like a Mangrove snake to me , black with gold bands and lives in Southern Thailand and Malaysia.

banded%20krait%201.jpg

Not rare at all.

Very nasty though.

I agree with you it looks very much like a Krait. Definitely not a snake to mess with. A worthwhile ebook is "Snakes of Thailand" it is free when you register (for free as well). If anyone wants a copy and can't find it let me know and I will post a copy

Why not post a copy and make it a sticky?

banded%20krait%201.jpg

Not rare at all.

Very nasty though.

Please post one for me..thanks

Large brown colored eyes have vertical pupil, these give appearance of Cat's eyes and so the name Cat snake.

More about the snake https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiga_dendrophila

A beauty......! I love snakes !!!

banded%20krait%201.jpg

Not rare at all.

Very nasty though.

Based on multiple sources, including the cool .pdf (e-book) you recommended...thanks for that...pretty sure it's not a Banded Krait (Bungarus fasciatus) for numerous reasons and is Gold-ringed Cat Sa-nake (Boiga dendrophila), as stated in the article.