Eight month old girl thrown to her death from pick-up in Lampang

webfact

Eight month old girl thrown to her death from pick-up

s4pp1.jpg
Image: Daily News

LAMPANG: -- An eight month old baby was thrown from her mother's arms after a pick up collided with a guard rail during heavy rain in Lampang on Sunday evening.

The family were going home to Thoen when the father lost control. The little girl was thrown out of the vehicle and landed in a road side ditch. After a frantic search the father found her but she was unconscious, reported Daily News. She later died in hospital.

The accident happened on the Lampang - Tak road in Koh ha district at 7pm. The father Samrerng Khamla of Lampang said that he was driving home with his wife and children, a boy of four and his eight month old daughter who was in her mother's arms. There was heavy rain and when he hit water runoff streaming from a hillside he lost control of his Mazda truck. He found his daughter in a ditch of deep water by the side of the road.

They were all helped to hospital by a driver following up behind but the little girl could not be revived.

Police found the pick-up with a smashed window and understand that the child was ejected from the cab of the truck.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-20

So sad. But it would appear - and this is only an observation - that the father was probably driving too fast for the weather conditions for the little girl to be ejected from her mother's arms and through the window to land in a ditch.

So sad. But it would appear - and this is only an observation - that the father was probably driving too fast for the weather conditions for the little girl to be ejected from her mother's arms and through the window to land in a ditch.

A proper infant car seat would have almost certainly avoided this tragedy.

shutterstock_82716994.jpg?w=500

Edited by Morakot

all very sad, buys a big pick up costing a fortune and does not buy a child seat, sorry to say its about the norm here, as in buying a scooter and not buying a helmet. fatal accidents would be cut by a huge amount if only thais used some common sense.what's that i hear you say ?? is there a law , as to child seats anyone,? (doubt it)

all very sad, buys a big pick up costing a fortune and does not buy a child seat, sorry to say its about the norm here, as in buying a scooter and not buying a helmet. fatal accidents would be cut by a huge amount if only thais used some common sense.what's that i hear you say ?? is there a law , as to child seats anyone,? (doubt it)

they absolutely refuse to buy things "they dont need"....until of course they needed it.

a kid seat is 4000bt+...."no need"!

the kid can be replaced for free.

they absolutely refuse to buy things "they dont need"....until of course they needed it.

a kid seat is 4000bt+...."no need"!

the kid can be replaced for free.

And if they were given one free they'd only sell it.

....I question whether a baby's head can smash a side-window...

That's because you can't do basic maths. You'd have no problem with the idea that I could throw a bowling bool through a car window would you? Even an 8lb one. Yet, the acceleration of that bowling bool (which is lighter than the baby) would be far lower than that of an infant thrown out of seat when the car goes from 70 mph to 0 mph in an instant.

Not everything is a conspiracy and it's ugly to suggest otherwise in the face of a tragedy like this. Stop pontificating from your armchair until you learn some simple physics and how to use a calculator.

Useful formulae and theory:

Force = mass x acceleration

Pressure = force/area

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction,.

The title of this thread is misleading! I thought someone inside the pickup threw the baby out.

In any event, a tragedy easily avoided by having a proper device for keeping the baby secure and safe. I don't care they can't afford it! Thais are always borrowing money for much worse causes than this one! The parents, as many thousands of others - many who COULD afford it, are nothing less than irresponsible and criminally negligent.

A proper infant car seat would have almost certainly avoided this tragedy.

shutterstock_82716994.jpg?w=500

True, but instead of an infant car seat the mother probably bought a new iPhone. How many infant or child car seat do you see in Thailand? In the UK it is an offence to hold a baby in your arms in the car, especially if seating in the front

The title of this thread is misleading! I thought someone inside the pickup threw the baby out.

In any event, a tragedy easily avoided by having a proper device for keeping the baby secure and safe. I don't care they can't afford it! Thais are always borrowing money for much worse causes than this one! The parents, as many thousands of others - many who COULD afford it, are nothing less than irresponsible and criminally negligent.

I thought the same thing...another mother knows best story. Usually, it is at a much younger age. A girl at my uni, delivered her own baby in the dorm and put it in the trash shoot on the 6th floor. Baby survived, mom was committed for a while, and got a lot of sympathy from the court. But, yeah, life is way too cheap here. People with obviously not much money and very big, expensive pickup trucks tend to be stupid...just my observation. I've done a lot of home renovation work, and I can almost tell, who is not going to get my business by the value of their pick-up.

We gave our proper child seats (two of them) away as ours grew up to Thai neighbors with a baby & younger child.

The smiled and said thank you and never ever used it as far as we could tell.

Ya can't fix stupid unfortunately.

let's say the mother is holding the child in her arms and the truck goes from 60 - 70 mph to 0 mph almost instantly.... the mother with a seat belt holding her in place will suddenly find her eight month old baby is still going 60 - 70.... won't be able to hold the baby girl at that speed... baby's head hits windshield at about 50 mph or more...

.... . no more windshield..... baby gone.

Use certified child and baby restraints for vehicles... ... please parents...

Look what happens in a bus that stopped suddenly from only about 30 mph......

Edited by Catoni

This was a preventable tragedy If the child had been in a car seat belted properly and not in the mothers arm then he would have survived the impact. But for some reason Thais do not restrain their children in cars

it is impossible to hold onto a child in a car during an impact Plain and simple

Having said that my heart goes out to the child

Add to this the fact that a child of that age still has a soft cranium.

Mom wore a seat belt?

Even if the child was not ejected, she may of not survived anyways.

Nobody says anything about the very young children on scooters, in front of mom.

No helmet....no chance of surviving even the slightest collision.

Edited by slipperylobster

And pickup trucks have rear seat belts standard.

NO

Yes they do. But of course babies don't use them. I've never seen a Thai use a baby seat - only farang drivers. And also there is no law that states rear passengers must use a seat belt.

Edited by DavisH

NO

Yes they do. But of course babies don't use them. I've never seen a Thai use a baby seat - only farang drivers. And also there is no law that states rear passengers must use a seat belt.

Even if there was, they wouldn't enforce it so it would be pointless.

These "parents" should be prosecuted for criminal negiglence. They are responsible for the death of their child.

If you're in your forties or older and a farang, you probably grew up not using a car seat though they were available. So I guess our parents also deserve the scorn that you all are heaping on these poor people. Be sure to tell your parents what scumbags they were when you next see them. Or maybe they're dead from lung cancer from all the smoking they did. Or a thousand other things they did that the Thais now do. Or you could give them a break as you PROBABLY do your parents and hope they learn in a generation or so.

Everyone SHOULD use a car seat. But it's not just the cost. If someone can afford a car, they would not hesitate to purchase car seats for their children if they believed in them. And secondly, if you have kids, you know some kids HATE car seats. If it weren't for the law, I myself would have been tempted to "just this once" skip the car seat for a short trip to the store.

NO

many do, but not enough of them use them.

We gave our proper child seats (two of them) away as ours grew up to Thai neighbors with a baby & younger child.

The smiled and said thank you and never ever used it as far as we could tell.

Ya can't fix stupid unfortunately.

And at the introduction of the horseless carriage came also the childseat ? No? What is now stupid to those whom something was enforced need consider.

That's because you can't do basic maths. You'd have no problem with the idea that I could throw a bowling bool through a car window would you? Even an 8lb one. Yet, the acceleration of that bowling bool (which is lighter than the baby) would be far lower than that of an infant thrown out of seat when the car goes from 70 mph to 0 mph in an instant.

Not everything is a conspiracy and it's ugly to suggest otherwise in the face of a tragedy like this. Stop pontificating from your armchair until you learn some simple physics and how to use a calculator.

Useful formulae and theory:

Force = mass x acceleration

Pressure = force/area

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction,.

Wow, a junior Einstein.

Forget all about your "formulae & theory & bowling bools". Automotive glass is designed to prevent breakage from body impact. Try punching or kicking a window as hard as you can .... it won't break. Special tools have been developed for the task. Some vehicles now come with said tool as standard equipment. It's the point of the tool, or a substitute, that breaks the glass on impact.

The tool is a cheap investment. Yes, I carry one in the door pocket of my car.

An 8 month old baby's head, skull, is still relatively soft. Skull can take up to a couple of years to harden. So, baby's skull way too soft to break glass.

SOTIRIOS was only questioning whether a baby's head could break the glass, he wasn't actually disputing the allegation. Have another read of your post, it's harsh at least & totally inaccurate at best.

I suggest you go & play with your bowling bool.

Cheers..... Mal.