Scotland views EU vote with uncertainty

webfact

Scotland views EU vote with uncertainty

606x341_336084.jpg

EDINBURGH: -- Scotland could play a ‘pivotal role in keeping the UK inside the EU. Polls suggest Scots are in favour of the bloc by a majority of two to one and a close vote for Remain could be thanks to Scottish enthusiasm for membership.

But if the outcome does go the other way some experts claim an English-backed vote to leave could reignite the independence issue.

‘‘We are much stronger together. Britain is no longer a world power. We are a small offshore island, our economy is no more that clever. And I don’t see how we are going to survive or flourish very well on our own,” said one Oban resident.

Paulina Sienicka who originates from Poland but is now a Scottish citizen, has strongly held views on leaving the EU.

‘‘We shouldn’t be forced to take people to our home country. They take our benefits, money, everything, houses. I think that people that live in the country should come first. Not the refugees. They just come here for benefits, and that’s why I think we should leave the EU.’‘

Whatever the outcome the country will still be bound by the result of the referendum regardless.

Our reporter Julian Lopez said:
‘‘The majority of political analysts say the referendum campaign is influenced by Scotland’s own particular concerns. Scotland’s prime minister has declared that in the case of Brexit victory Scotland will organise a new vote on its independence, and this time the results could be very different from the one obtained two years ago.’‘

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-20

I find it hypocrisy that these experts were the ones wanting out of the UK not so long ago. Leaving the UK (a small club which it has been part for a few hundred years) and then staying in another club which it has been in for 40 plus years.facepalm.gif

Personally if the scots want away from the UK then that is fine. I would take a sabbatical and help them with Hadrian's wall.

As for the Scottish Leader the only person she cares for is herself.

Paulina Sienicka who originates from Poland but is now a Scottish citizen, has strongly held views on leaving the EU.

‘‘We shouldn’t be forced to take people to our home country. They take our benefits, money, everything, houses. I think that people that live in the country should come first. Not the refugees. They just come here for benefits, and that’s why I think we should leave the EU.’‘

Can we now have a long line of posts calling this lady a xenophobic little Englander

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Quote of the century

‘‘We shouldn’t be forced to take people to our home country. They take our benefits, money, everything, houses. I think that people that live in the country should come first."

Obviously, old Polish/Scot and old Jock forgot to cast their minds back to the last couple hundred years of British global colonization policies.

Indian's, Chinese, Arabs etc... today have colonized the world through immigration, no country in Europe was invaded by these immigrants by force, no one was murdered, enslaved, removed from their home land by force or brutally treated through tyranny.

Most of them used the immigration processes to enter Europe and other countries through their immigration processes and laws.

So knowing all that, who are the true barbarians?

Edited by LostTourist

I find it hypocrisy that these experts were the ones wanting out of the UK not so long ago. Leaving the UK (a small club which it has been part for a few hundred years) and then staying in another club which it has been in for 40 plus years.facepalm.gif

Personally if the scots want away from the UK then that is fine. I would take a sabbatical and help them with Hadrian's wall.

Can you provide a bit of context to your final sentence, because without examples it is just a meaningless rant.

Let's see - in Scotland's referendum, people from England living in Scotland were allowed to vote, and Scottish people living abroad weren't.

In the EU referendum, people from the EU living in the UK aren't allowed to vote (except Irish, Maltese and Cypriots, but that's because Irish and Commonwealth citizens living in the UK get to vote in most things). But British people living abroad are.

In Scotland's referendum, there was no talk of wanting out of the EU and the single market. (In fact, a lot of the threats about Scotland leaving the UK were that it voting Yes would mean we'd be outside the EU have to join the queue to apply for membership).

The Scottish referendum was about Scotland taking control of itself, but the wish was definitely to stay within Europe and the Single market because outside of certain industries (noticeably fishing - which is why Iceland and Norway are outside the EU), the gains from being inside the single market FAR outweigh the costs - or Norway wouldn't pay more per head than the UK does to be inside the single market.

Only idiots talked of border controls with England (after all, there are currently no border controls between Ireland and Northern Ireland, although Brexit might force them to be reintroduced), and getting rid of the unhealthy first past the post parliament in Westminster was one of the main reasons to vote to leave the UK (35% of the vote is enough to give you a majority in Parliament - That's Westminster's idea of democracy for you).

For Brexit, they want to take power back from Brussels (Brussels isn't perfect, but the EU parliament is actually set up to reduce the power of larger states.) - and you think Scots want to have the Eton mess in Westminster be in charge of what the EU is currently in charge of?

In the Scottish referendum, there were a few arrests, predominantly Unionists by the way, unlike what the anti-Yes press would have you believe.

The EU referendum now appears to have it's first fatality.