Something George And Jai Dee Are Missing ?

farangsay

I have finally figured it out what is bothering me about English language reporting

in Thailand.

I offer you this from the Bangkok Post today :

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thaksin urged to wait a year before returning

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont takes a delegation of Muslim youths from the deep South on a 800m trek in Khao Yai National Park in the Northeast yesterday. The activity is part of his project to create understanding between Thai Muslims in the far South and others in the different parts of the country. — PATTANAPONG HIRUNARD POST REPORTERS

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont yesterday made clear that deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra should wait another year before returning to Thailand.

The most appropriate time would be after a new government is in place, he said. And talks towards this should take place towards the end of the interim government's term, after the new constitution is promulgated, a referendum has been held and preparations towards general elections are under way, he added.

"If he returned and one group supporting him caused conflict in the country again, would it be appropriate?" he asked.

Gen Surayud rejected former prime minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh's suggestion that he let Mr Thaksin come back to his residence in Thon Buri so as to keep an eye on him more easily.

"It would be tantamount to limiting Mr Thaksin's rights, detaining him at home which is something that should not be done," he said.

Keeping him under house arrest would be like something a neighbouring country might do, and inappropriate, he said, without elaborating.

Mr Thaksin's return was not contingent on the lifting of martial law, which was another matter before the Council for National Security, he added.

Even after martial law is lifted, talks would be needed before Mr Thaksin headed back to the country.

"I cannot give orders to Mr Thaksin. It would be up to a mutual agreement as to what we can do for the country, which means making a sacrifice," he said.

"We have to discuss what sacrifice Mr Thaksin can make for the country," he added. Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday questioned Gen Chavalit's intentions in making such a suggestion while political activity was under way, including a rally against the CNS at Sanam Luang on Saturday.

Mr Abhisit urged Mr Thaksin to declare his intentions because rumours were good for no one. Suriyasai Katasila, secretary-general of the Campaign for Popular Democracy, said Mr Thaksin's return and detention would boost political undercurrents in his favour whereas his absence from the country obstructed the movements of his supporters.

Democrat spokesman Ong-art Klampaibul called on the government to identify its opponents clearly. He said "old powers" loyal to the previous government and businessmen with vested interests outnumbered pro-democracy idealists.

The "old powers" were trying to create undercurrents to convince people that they would return to power, he added.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you figured it out yet ?

It's the passive voice !

First line in the article tells you it was Surayud doing the "urging"

so why don't they say that in the headline ?

Does anybody out there understand what I'm talking about ?

Yours

A voice in the wilderness

:o

I have finally figured it out what is bothering me about English language reporting

in Thailand.

I offer you this from the Bangkok Post today :

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thaksin urged to wait a year before returning

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont takes a delegation of Muslim youths from the deep South on a 800m trek in Khao Yai National Park in the Northeast yesterday. The activity is part of his project to create understanding between Thai Muslims in the far South and others in the different parts of the country. — PATTANAPONG HIRUNARD POST REPORTERS

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont yesterday made clear that deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra should wait another year before returning to Thailand.

The most appropriate time would be after a new government is in place, he said. And talks towards this should take place towards the end of the interim government's term, after the new constitution is promulgated, a referendum has been held and preparations towards general elections are under way, he added.

"If he returned and one group supporting him caused conflict in the country again, would it be appropriate?" he asked.

Gen Surayud rejected former prime minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh's suggestion that he let Mr Thaksin come back to his residence in Thon Buri so as to keep an eye on him more easily.

"It would be tantamount to limiting Mr Thaksin's rights, detaining him at home which is something that should not be done," he said.

Keeping him under house arrest would be like something a neighbouring country might do, and inappropriate, he said, without elaborating.

Mr Thaksin's return was not contingent on the lifting of martial law, which was another matter before the Council for National Security, he added.

Even after martial law is lifted, talks would be needed before Mr Thaksin headed back to the country.

"I cannot give orders to Mr Thaksin. It would be up to a mutual agreement as to what we can do for the country, which means making a sacrifice," he said.

"We have to discuss what sacrifice Mr Thaksin can make for the country," he added. Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday questioned Gen Chavalit's intentions in making such a suggestion while political activity was under way, including a rally against the CNS at Sanam Luang on Saturday.

Mr Abhisit urged Mr Thaksin to declare his intentions because rumours were good for no one. Suriyasai Katasila, secretary-general of the Campaign for Popular Democracy, said Mr Thaksin's return and detention would boost political undercurrents in his favour whereas his absence from the country obstructed the movements of his supporters.

Democrat spokesman Ong-art Klampaibul called on the government to identify its opponents clearly. He said "old powers" loyal to the previous government and businessmen with vested interests outnumbered pro-democracy idealists.

The "old powers" were trying to create undercurrents to convince people that they would return to power, he added.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you figured it out yet ?

It's the passive voice !

First line in the article tells you it was Surayud doing the "urging"

so why don't they say that in the headline ?

Yours

A voice in the wilderness

:D

No. You are not a voice in the wilderness - you are spot on.

I believe that such prose is indicative of the US media, whereas proper English (I am biased - from EngLAND) is reported usually in the past tense.

I must be a bit of a stickler for such matters, same as you! :o

Edited by bkkandrew

I do, but one sees that all the time in English-language newspapers, more often in the tabloids, perhaps. Nothing to get het up about, really.

---------------

Maestro

Sorry fellas... George and I don't usually mess with the headlines of news bulletins... except maybe to clear up the English translation a little bit.

We'd never stoop so low as to unnecessarily sensationalize a story or mix our tenses... :o