Officials eye plans to zone migrant workers

webfact

Officials eye plans to zone migrant workers
Phuket Gazette

zo.jpeg
Governor Chamroen said that the new system will make it easier to manage the thousands of foreigners who currently live and work in Phuket. Photo: Sukawin Tanthavanich

PHUKET: -- Officials are mulling over regulations that would restrict migrant workers in the province to specific zones.

Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada on Friday announced that authorities are chalking out plans to manage unskilled migrant laborers ‘more effectively’.

“Each local authority should designate specific areas for foreign workers to live in,” Governor Chamroen said. “Those areas should be separated from the main residential areas where locals live. Moreover, these areas must have separate master plans for buildings, security systems, water and electricity.”

Gov Chamroen’s statements would most likely apply principally to migrant workers from neighboring countries, who tend to live close to construction sites around the island. In April, Vice Governor Prajiad Aksornthammakul advocated for a crackdown on immigrant settlements, citing concerns of increased drug use, disease and potential conflict with local communities that allegedly occurs more frequently near migrant worker camps

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Officials-eye-plans-zone-migrant-workers/64103?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-06-20

I would have thought that larger immigrant camps, for that's what they'd be, would increase the possibility of disease, drugs and violence. But what it does do is enable the police to check their papers on a regular basis. I hate to imagine how often these places would be "raided". I think this is what they mean by "managing unskilled labourers more effectively".

I noticed all trucks carrying Myanmar workers being stopped near Honda this morning.

"Crackdown on immigrant settlements, citing concerns of increased drug use, disease and potential conflict with local communities".

I seem to recall similar policies around the 1940s and we all know where that ended up.

For drug use they just need to visit Khlong Toey in Bangkok. It has been said that 50% of the people use drugs regularly. Dont know if it is true but as they say where there is smoke there is fire

"Crackdown on immigrant settlements, citing concerns of increased drug use, disease and potential conflict with local communities".

I seem to recall similar policies around the 1940s and we all know where that ended up.

Yes, maybe they should make the migrant laborers wear armbands in the flags of their various nations.

What a disgrace.

Anyway, in the not to distant future many of these laborers will return home to build their own country, as foreign investment continues to flood into neighboring countries. Then, good luck finding Thai laborers to work in construction.