Chalerm objects Vicha's appointment to panel investigating compensation to political victims

webfact

Chalerm objects Vicha Mahakhun’s appointment to a panel investigating compensation to political victims

Chalerm-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former deputy prime minister Chalerm Yubamrung has raised objection against the appointment of a former anti-graft commissioner to sit in a panel investigating into suspected misuse of state fund by the former Yingluck government to compensate victims of political violence during 2005-2010.

A letter of objection against the appointment of Mr Vicha Mahakhun, a former member of the National Anti-Corruption Commission, was submitted to the NACC’s Office on Monday by Mr Opas Soison, a lawyer of Pol Cpt Chalerm.

In the letter, the former deputy prime minister admitted that he didn’t understand why Mr Vicha was appointed to sit in the subcommittee investigating the compensation for political victims’ case because Mr Vicha’s nine-year term with the NACC had expired last year and he used to head similar panel investigating the same case.

Chalerm claimed that Mr Vicha’s appointment was in violation of sections 46 and 12 of the anti-corruption law.

He also accused Mr Vicha of being biased against him and the other suspects, including former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra, for refusing to hear testimonies from officials of the Budget Bureau, while he headed by subcommittee investigating the case.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chalerm-objects-vicha-mahakhuns-appointment-panel-investigating-compensation-political-victims/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-21

I thought Chalerm had disappeared, well it seems he is still alive.

One has to wonder why he against / worried by the appointment of a former member of the National Anti-Corruption Commission. Something to hide? Does not want want people raking over the coals of the past?

I wonder how those prime examples of Thai manhood, his sons are doing?

I'm sure some PTP apologists will be along soon to tell us that the former deputy prime minister is a man of principles.

But I'm more interested in why the PTP leadership refused to hear testimony from the Budget Bureau in a case of political violence compensation. Could the budget boys have been pointing out that the compensation paid to redshirts involved in the 2010 insurrection vastly exceeded the normal payment? Could they be facing another bill for wasting taxpayers money to buy loyalty from their supporters?

Edited by halloween

I'm sure some PTP apologists will be along soon to tell us that the former deputy prime minister is a man of principles.

But I'm more interested in why the PTP leadership refused to hear testimony from the Budget Bureau in a case of political violence compensation. Could the budget boys have been pointing out that the compensation paid to redshirts involved in the 2010 insurrection vastly exceeded the normal payment? Could they be facing another bill for wasting taxpayers money to buy loyalty from their supporters?

Indeed they had to pay their mercenaries good compensation, better to do so from the states coffers then from their own. Without payment to their supporters the PTP is not as popular, first they buy their election victory with a rice program that cost the same as the health budget per year and keep it off books calling it self financing cheesy.gif . After that they pay their mercenaries with state funds.

You should look at what the democrats and others paid in compensation only to see the difference.

Chalerm appeared. (Who are the men in black behind you?)

Chalerm, Chalerm, Chalerm, only coming out to preempt an appointment that is against your interests....

We all know who is first on your mind, Chalerm, Chalerm, Chalerm.

Chalerm disappeared. (Taking the men in black with him)

maybe there will be future news with Chalerm in it? Looking forward to that...

Here's to living in interesting times, Chalerm...(bottoms up)

Edited by klauskunkel

Indeed they had to pay their mercenaries good compensation, better to do so from the states coffers then from their own. Without payment to their supporters the PTP is not as popular, first they buy their election victory with a rice program that cost the same as the health budget per year and keep it off books calling it self financing cheesy.gif . After that they pay their mercenaries with state funds.

You should look at what the democrats and others paid in compensation only to see the difference.

Further '... chalerm objects...'

IMHO a sizable portion of the Thai electorate, if they had the opportunity, would seriously object to chalerm holding any public positions, either now or in the last 10 years and more.

This man is an embarrassment to the struggle for democracy in Thailand, He has to walk the plank for the sake of credibility of Thaksin and the UDD. And he's not the only one, that appalling Sino-Chinese woman has to go as well.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

This man is an embarrassment to the struggle for democracy in Thailand, He has to walk the plank for the sake of credibility of Thaksin and the UDD. And he's not the only one, that appalling Sino-Chinese woman has to go as well.

Winnie

No honour amongst thieves, Winnie? You expecting Thaksin to dump Chalerm (who btw has no connection to UDD except they feed off the same tit) is one thing, but dumping his sister is a bit much to ask.

The Yingluck govt is being prosecuted for paying compensation to families of unarmed citizens, including journalists and emergency medical personnel, who were shot and killed by RTA snipers?!? Who better deserves the money?

Nobody is disputing that those hurt/killed don't deserve compensation, though I would about who caused the injuries. The easily justified claim is that the LEVEL of payment was far higher than compensation paid before or since. If PTP wants to buy loyalty from their supporters, let them do it with their own money, not taxpayers'.

That is the whole trouble with Thaksin administrations, they have difficulty telling the difference, and a tendency to use the wrong account for personal expenses. That, and a belief that being elected gives them the right to enact laws for their own personal benefit.

I thought he had a lifelong policy ban and got therefore impunity.
Now he reappears without disguise.
Has he still his pink Bently car which cost him 25 million baht?
And is he still a Police Captain and gets salary?

Edited by tomacht8

Winnie

No honour amongst thieves, Winnie? You expecting Thaksin to dump Chalerm (who btw has no connection to UDD except they feed off the same tit) is one thing, but dumping his sister is a bit much to ask.

Well, I didn't call you, but now you;re here...

Thaksin should have dumped this guy, he was only in the camp because he was/is allegedly a local mafia godfather.

The woman I referred to was not Yingluck. Apart from that you're wrong, you're right.

Please wait until you're called next time, these impromptu whinings of yours get tiresome.

Winnie

Winnie

".. for the credibility of Thaksin and the UDD...". How can that be?

Now stand by for the usual junta hugger and the now often personal attacks.

Edited by scorecard

Winnie

Thaksin should have dumped this guy, he was only in the camp because he was/is allegedly a local mafia godfather.

The woman I referred to was not Yingluck. Apart from that you're wrong, you're right.

Please wait until you're called next time, these impromptu whinings of yours get tiresome.

Winnie

cheesy.gif Chalerm is a Thaksin crony from waaaay back, helping him get some of his earlier corrupt deals. Known scum, second only to Thaksin, when Thaksin could get on the party list.

Amusing how you immediately jump to the defense of Yingluk, previously unmentioned. Thaksin has 2 sisters, one even more appalling than the other.

But of course, the combination of UDD and "appalling Sino-Chinese woman" more naturally leads to Thida Thawonset, right? But if you think Thaksin should dump Thida from the UDD, isn't that an admission that you believe he controls it? Oh dear, and all this time you've been feeding us porkies about its independence.

I think Chalerm has a couple of valid points.

First, if the previous NACC panel did not come to a satisfactory conclusion of its work, than the current panel should not be staffed with members of the previous panels. Instead, those previous panel members should be called to testify before the new panel.

Second, I believe a couple of members above have misconstrued Chalerm's complaint at the end of the article. He is complaining that Vicha previously displayed bias by not allowing testimony by officials from the Budget Bureau to that previous panel. One would assume the Budget Bureau would be a relevant source of information about disbursements that were perhaps too large or misused.

I don't have an opinion about guilt versus innocence on this matter. It just seems to me there is a predictable collection of Thai characters that draw almost exclusively "ad hominem" criticisms on this forum. Ad hominem remarks are usually a lazy and ineffective substitute for refuting an argument using evidence and reason.

Winnie

Winnie

cheesy.gif Chalerm is a Thaksin crony from waaaay back, helping him get some of his earlier corrupt deals. Known scum, second only to Thaksin, when Thaksin could get on the party list.

Amusing how you immediately jump to the defense of Yingluk, previously unmentioned. Thaksin has 2 sisters, one even more appalling than the other.

But of course, the combination of UDD and "appalling Sino-Chinese woman" more naturally leads to Thida Thawonset, right? But if you think Thaksin should dump Thida from the UDD, isn't that an admission that you believe he controls it? Oh dear, and all this time you've been feeding us porkies about its independence.

*yawn* coffee1.gif

Nothing to see here folks. Da DJ doing a braindump is all...

W

First, if the previous NACC panel did not come to a satisfactory conclusion of its work, than the current panel should not be staffed with members of the previous panels. Instead, those previous panel members should be called to testify before the new panel.

Second, I believe a couple of members above have misconstrued Chalerm's complaint at the end of the article. He is complaining that Vicha previously displayed bias by not allowing testimony by officials from the Budget Bureau to that previous panel. One would assume the Budget Bureau would be a relevant source of information about disbursements that were perhaps too large or misused.

I don't have an opinion about guilt versus innocence on this matter. It just seems to me there is a predictable collection of Thai characters that draw almost exclusively "ad hominem" criticisms on this forum. Ad hominem remarks are usually a lazy and ineffective substitute for refuting an argument using evidence and reason.

What Chalerm needs is a couple of valid convictions, followed by a life sentence. The man has a long history of corrupt deals, cronyism, nepotism, witness intimidation, murderous family members miraculously exonerated and then promoted, incompetence, false claims, lying to parliament, misrepresenting ownership of his assets, and public intoxication, notably while representing his country abroad.

And yet, this scum is regularly #2 on Thaksin's party list, and appointed as DPM. If you want one shining example of the problems with Thai democracy, he is IT.

What Chalerm needs is a couple of valid convictions, followed by a life sentence. The man has a long history of corrupt deals, cronyism, nepotism, witness intimidation, murderous family members miraculously exonerated and then promoted, incompetence, false claims, lying to parliament, misrepresenting ownership of his assets, and public intoxication, notably while representing his country abroad.

And yet, this scum is regularly #2 on Thaksin's party list, and appointed as DPM. If you want one shining example of the problems with Thai democracy, he is IT.

I knew someone would prove my point.

I knew someone would prove my point.

Do forgive me, I'll be more specific to your points. To begin Chalerm suspects Vicha is biased against him. If you wonder why that would be, refer to my last posting.

You claim that the previous panel members should be excluded. Why? AFAIK only the head of the panel is involved, he is familiar with the case, which he can now bring to a conclusion without political pressure to drop it.

What relevant information could the budget Office bring? They knew the payments were made, the inquiry is about the inappropriate size of those payments. What can the budget office say, there was plenty of taxpayer's money to squander?