'Jack Dekfarang' apologizes for taxi rant which riled Phuket

webfact

'Jack Dekfarang' apologizes for taxi rant which riled Phuket
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

jack.jpg
Jack Brown offers a wai offscreen to a taxi driver Monday at the Phuket Tourist Police station. Photo: Phuket Times Newspaper / Facebook

PHUKET — An expat and online personality whose rant about a Phuket tuk-tuk grabbed wide attention was called in by the authorities Monday to deliver a Thai-language mea culpa for getting it wrong.

Jack Brown, a Briton known online as Jack Dekfarang, apologized in front of the press at the Phuket Tourist Police station after authorities said there was nothing wrong with the 200 baht fare he complained about paying to travel one kilometer in a viral video posted Saturday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/net/2016/06/20/jack-dekfarang-apologizes-taxi-rant-riled-phuket/

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-06-21

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, he could have used his smart mouth to get the authorities to justify why he paid 200B for a 1km ride and why this extortionate price has been authorized ..

I will watch the whole of the video later, but it seems like he may have fallen foul of Thailands deformation laws.

The crooked local government had authorized the criminal taxi mafia pricing scheme .. Therefore it's all legal, above board and beyond question.

Sickening.

In BKK 30 km about THB 250.-, fair deal

IN Phuket 1 km THB 200.- is not overcharged ? No, it is totally rip off bah.gifbah.gif

30 Kim's for a measly 250 is not a fair deal.

Why should the price in Phuket be the same as Bangkok?

In London a similar journey costs more. Does Jack complain about that?

Pretty simple, if it was too expensive he could have just walked the kilometer or just declined. There was no need to be rude.

He was lucky the cops gave him an attitude adjustment, if the driver decided to he may well have been bashed.

What is wrong with these people with no manners coming to Thailand as a guest but thinking they set the rules and wanting the locals to wait on them hand and foot?

Go back to where you came from Jack.

IN Phuket 1 km THB 200.- is not overcharged ? No, it is totally rip off bah.gifbah.gif

Pretty simple, if it was too expensive he could have just walked the kilometer or just declined. There was no need to be rude.

He was lucky the cops gave him an attitude adjustment, if the driver decided to he may well have been bashed.

What is wrong with these people with no manners coming to Thailand as a guest but thinking they set the rules and wanting the locals to wait on them hand and foot?

Why should he go back?

The guy speaks Thai so I guess he has lived here for many years.

I don't think he was being rude but merely pointing out a fact.

I know several Thai people who don't like the high prices in Phuket, but being Thai they don't complain.

Compared with other Thai cities 200 baht for 1 Km IS expensive.

Compared with London it is cheap

Compared with Delhi it is very expensive!

I don't know why people compare with other countries. This is Thailand. Salaries and the cost of living is different from other countries.

I have to go now. Let me just check if I have 15 baht for my 1 km motorcycle ride to Sukhumvit Road.

It's not because your are not living in your country that you have to say Amen to everything.

200Thb for the course he did is way too expensive in Thailand... even not in an ariconed taxi, but just a noisy tuk tuk.

Taxi price in BKK is cheap, too cheap for the driver to make a good living, but Phuket is gone too far.

If you have to pay more for Taxi than what you are paying for your booze.... something is wrong.

Cut the price, make it clear and they might increase their income with more job and also push some people to use their service to go out at night instead of using their motorbike...

Win Win situation

It's not because your are not living in your country that you have to say Amen to everything.

200Thb for the course he did is way too expensive in Thailand... even not in an ariconed taxi, but just a noisy tuk tuk.

Taxi price in BKK is cheap, too cheap for the driver to make a good living, but Phuket is gone too far.

If you have to pay more for Taxi than what you are paying for your booze.... something is wrong.

Cut the price, make it clear and they might increase their income with more job and also push some people to use their service to go out at night instead of using their motorbike...

Win Win situation

Jack was given the rate that was set three years ago.

I agree something is wrong if you have to pay more for your booze than the taxi.

At 200 baht you sound like a cheap drunk.

If a few bucks is too expensive for tightarse Jack he shouldn't be in Phuket.

Edited by Roomuck

This is all about face. Nothing more

Yip.

"face" is the thing that has held this country back and so many other negative problems the place has.

Glad to be leaving

Any room in your suitcase for Jack?

See yah.

You're not allowed to put a human in a suitcase and put him on a plane mate. I'd get in trouble and most likely Jack would get an injury.