Chinaman arrested for theft at Swampy tries to bribe cops - now faces two charges

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"CHINAMAN??"

Headline written by someone over 70 years old who hasn't read the news since 1945?

Unbelievable in this century.

Outrageously objectionable word. Hasn't been part of common English usage since WW1.

What is wrong with chinaman you pussies he's a man from China <deleted> what should you call him

What?? 500 wasn't enough???

It's good to see that some police are trying to enforce the laws instead of taking bribes... perhaps some of the actions the pm has taken is actually making a small difference.

Banging the drum for the regime - Sad and deluded.

"CHINAMAN??"

Headline written by someone over 70 years old who hasn't read the news since 1945?

Outrageously objectionable word. Hasn't been part of common English usage since WW1.

What is wrong with chinaman you pussies he's a man from China <deleted> what should you call him

Just as "colored people" are now "people of color" .... "chinaman" is now "man of china".... I assume?wai2.gif

Edited by daoyai

The term "Chinaman" is an extremely derogatory word. I am part Chinese. It is almost the equivalent to the "N" word. I do not appreciate your using it in a headline. It shows possible racism, but more likely ignorance. Either one not a good quality for conveying the news.

Whats the difference between Chinaman or Chinese man?

Doesn't seem racist or derogatory to me.

But if Chinese people don't like it, l won't use it.

l didn't know that they didn't like the term.

The "N" word is not in my vocabulary, although l have heard black people using it.

The term "Chinaman" is an extremely derogatory word. I am part Chinese. It is almost the equivalent to the "N" word. I do not appreciate your using it in a headline. It shows possible racism, but more likely ignorance. Either one not a good quality for conveying the news.

Whats the difference between Chinaman or Chinese man?

Doesn't seem racist or derogatory to me.

But if Chinese people don't like it, l won't use it.

l didn't know that they didn't like the term.

The "N" word is not in my vocabulary, although l have heard black people using it.

African Americans like Chris Rock and others use the "N" word often, just to rub "whitey's" nose in it. They can use it, whites cannot!

So should it be a 'Chinese Man' or a 'man from China', if you are 'part Chinese' and educated in the west to claim 'Chinaman' is racist or objectionable is just bloody silly. If anyone on here refers to me as a 'Brit Man' I am going to sue you ok!

What is the difference between Irishman, Welshman Frenchman, Englishman and Chineseman? how on earth can it be derogatory? Anyway as you are only part Chinese you should be only party 'offended'. To equate it with the N word and think it racist is just absurd. People just love to be offended these days don't they

"CHINAMAN??"

Chinaman, Chineseman not unlike Englishman or Dutchman, except have "slanty eyes". Just another old word not now in common usage.

It's either Chinaman or Chinese, not Chineseman. You could however also say Chinese man.

What's the big deal anyway? In Hong Kong, farangs are referred to as Gweilos as another poster (Card) had mentioned. Call me a Chinaman any day - I couldn't care less .

"CHINAMAN??"

I guess it's OK if he's a coolie.
...and if it's the 19th century...

So, do all Chinese men and women find adjectives acceptable and all China men and women find nouns unacceptable? The term Chinatown must be very upsetting for you.
Another dinosaur. In fact, most "Chinatowns" have been renamed "International District" or similar names. However, don't expect to see that term in 3rd world locations such as Bangkok. You really should get out more.

"CHINAMAN??"

Chinaman, Chineseman not unlike Englishman or Dutchman, except have "slanty eyes". Just another old word not now in common usage.

It's either Chinaman or Chinese, not Chineseman. You could however also say Chinese man.

What's the big deal anyway? In Hong Kong, farangs are referred to as Gweilos as another poster (Card) had mentioned. Call me a Chinaman any day - I couldn't care less .

. It's obvious you DO care because you went to the trouble to post your 19th century opinion.

Tip: You shouldn't take your social cues from the racism of Asia.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Posts have been removed.

Can I use the words "farang" (Thailand) and "gaijin" (Japan) to refer to white people of any nationality? Those words still seem to be in fashion in the countries mentioned. The fashion of words changes over time. In the USA, there has been a transition from negro to colored to black being the acceptable word. Similarly, the words actress and and stewardess are no longer acceptable. Instead, we have flight attendant and actor. Language changes over time but it seems that people still use old terms, especially if English is not their first language. I suggest that we give the user of "Chinaman" an amnesty and urge him to use "a Chinese man" the next time.

What?? 500 wasn't enough???

It's good to see that some police are trying to enforce the laws instead of taking bribes... perhaps some of the actions the pm has taken is actually making a small difference.

Not all cops take bribes in Thailand. However we all know very well the majority do. .

Over the years I have seen many reports where the guys are charged with trying to bribe the police on top of the original charges.

So, do all Chinese men and women find adjectives acceptable and all China men and women find nouns unacceptable? The term Chinatown must be very upsetting for you.
Another dinosaur. In fact, most "Chinatowns" have been renamed "International District" or similar names. However, don't expect to see that term in 3rd world locations such as Bangkok. You really should get out more.

"International district" LOL. What planet do you live on? That term only exists in your imagination.

There are Chinatowns all over the world and yes they are still called "Chinatowns" and probably always will. There is a Chinatown in Sydney, there's one in Los Angeles. There's one in San Francisco and one in Toronto. One in Melbourne and one in Paris. I have visited all of them. There is also a Koreatown in Los Angeles, a "Little Tokyo" also in LA as well as a "Thai town". There is a Thai town in Sydney too. I've also been to all these ethnic districts.

I have never heard of an "international district" how are you supposed to differentiate a Chinatown from a Koreatown from a Thai town if it's all the same, apparently? I guess all cultures are the same to you?

"3rd world locations such as Bangkok"? Seriously, if Bangkok is such a bad place, maybe you better go back home? Sounds like you have a real problem with Thailand and Asia in general.

This thread has definitely been hijacked by the language police. Instead of commenting about the more relevant issue of a criminal who stole cash from a passenger's luggage and then tried to pass off a lowball bribe, apparently some white guy (a self-appointed snowflake spokesperson) thought it was more important to derail the topic and point out that there is a problem with calling someone a "Chinaman", when the terms "Frenchman", "Dutchman" and others still exist.

"Chinaman" may be a little old fashioned, as are terms like "occidental" (from the French) but they are nothing more than short-hand descriptive words used because they either shorten or add "punch" to a headline. In the same way, the word "farang" is often used quite liberally both by the English and Thai language media, especially the latter and mostly in informal stories. No offence is intended to be caused.

Let's get back on topic here - a Chinese criminal went through another passenger's bag while on board an aircraft in order to steal some money. Then tries to plead innocence once caught; failing which a much too small bribe was offered. Been happening for years. There was a case on Singapore's "Crime watch" one of the 2015 episodes that had presented the case of a Chinese national who flew into Singapore regularly from Macau, stealing money from unsuspecting passengers while they slept onboard. He was part of a gang and caught red-handed with stolen money at a hotel in the seedy Geylang area. Criminal was unemployed - most of them are.

Bribing a kop...

I bet the charge will be dropped, it will put others off making quick, ticket less payments.

That's a lot of dosh ...did she declare it??? (money laundering laws)

She was heading to HongKong. Hk has a different limit for $$