Body of missing Scottish dad Steve Balfour is found in police morgue in Thailand

webfact

Body of missing Scottish dad Steve Balfour is found in police morgue in Thailand

The 35-year-old had not been seen since May 14 but now his family's worst fears have came true after his body was identified by a distinctive tattoo.

sb.jpg
Tragic Scots dad Steve Balfour with his ex-wife Nan

GLASGOW: -- THE body of missing Scot Steve Balfour has been found in a police morgue in Thailand.

Steve, whose ex-wife Nan is Thai, was last seen on May 14 at a bar in the busy resort of Pattaya. His body was identified by a distinctive tattoo.

A 22-year-old vice worker from the area’s infamous Walking Street has been questioned by police.

Steve, who was on leave from his job as a security consultant in Iraq, was visiting his estranged Thai wife and six-year-old daughter, Georgina.

The 35-year-old split from wife Nan Kidaw in a bitter divorce last year. The former soldier was found dead in a room above a bar in the red light area on May 15.

Full story: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/body-missing-scottish-dad-steve-8241674

-- DAILY RECORD 2016-06-21

RELATED: Tourist 'collapses and dies during wild romp with Thai ladyboy'

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the other thread is likely to be closed, I'll repeat my question.

Why couldn't the Thai police manage to match up missing person reports to dead bodies found?

There can't be that many white males found dead in Pattaya every night.

Person missing on 14 May, dead body found on 15 May. This isn't rocket science.

Why couldn't the Thai police manage to match up missing person reports to dead bodies found?

Do you think there are any police spokesmen that read this?

You don't know when the police matched the bodies.

Condolences to the family and please no stupid, insensitive remarks on this thread as a man has been found dead and his family most likely reading it.

According to the Daily record report, police linked the body to the missing person this weekend (19/20 June), that's over 4 weeks after the event (14/15 May).

"But questions were raised in Pattaya over the weekend after The Daily Record highlighted his disappearance and the British Embassy got involved. Local police then linked the discovery of the body with Steves disappearance."

According to the Daily record report, police linked the body to the missing person this weekend (19/20 June), that's over 4 weeks after the event (14/15 May).

When was he reported missing?

sounds to me like they wanted a possible murder to fade away, the police involved need to be seriously scrutinised as to why this was not investigated properly, I smell a huge rat

Terrible on all accounts.

Thoughts are with his family, friends and his daughter.

What a waste of life. What was the cause of his death?

Why wasn't his family back home assisted earlier and why didn't the authorities make a match in a more timely matter. Absolutely hopeless. Shame on them all.

RIP Steve.

This should be a lesson to ALL the foreigners who think that they are welcome to Thailand.

But my guess is that tomorrow the following foreigner is digging his grave in Thailand.

This is Pattaya, a massive city of brothels. It is a LONG way from the real Thailand.

I feel sad for the little girl. Not only is she being brought up in such a hellhole of a city but one day she will find out exactly what happened to her dad by using google.

How about finding and jailing who ever was involved,

RIP Steve.

This should be a lesson to ALL the foreigners who think that they are welcome to Thailand.

But my guess is that tomorrow the following foreigner is digging his grave in Thailand.

So you guys know already what really happened, and that there was foul play involved?

Thaivisa never stops to amaze

RIP Steve.

This is Pattaya, a massive city of brothels. It is a LONG way from the real Thailand.

I feel sad for the little girl. Not only is she being brought up in such a hellhole of a city but one day she will find out exactly what happened to her dad by using google.

Absolutely true except that for many visitors, I'm afraid, Pattaya and the like ARE the real Thailand in their eyes.

RIP Steve, and let's hope they can find out what happened.

So you guys know already what really happened, and that there was foul play involved?

Thaivisa never stops to amaze

By the way, TV knows more than the BIB and comments like yours are the pinnacle on here thumbsup.gif

RIP Scottish Lad

In answer to your question "because its Thai police" They do not go by normal protocal

Pattaya certainly has its dangers but foreigners are found dead and murdered across Thailand. Pattaya is just a bit more concentrated insanity. If you want to argue against Pattaya, most of the world would use the same argument against Thailand. I know that many won't agree but a lot of these folks who become victims of others or themselves often bring it on themselves especially when they are drunk, angry or give up on life.

Could not agree more. This death created International attention and suddenly there was an investigation.

Then after a few days Detective Sherlock goes to morgue 'just in case' - Ohhhh there he is! Would you not think that would be the first place to start, plus hospitals in the area???? Derrrr.

How about finding and jailing who ever was involved,

Well thats pretty obvious but its only a month old and even by western standards nailing the person within a month would be considered excellent police work however these things take time even when you know who did, you gotta prove it.

Missing Former British Soldier Confirmed Dead in Pattaya
Story by Albert Jack.

p111.jpg
Steven Balfour (pictured with ex-wife Nan) has been missing since May

Body of missing Scottish dad Steve Balfour has been found in the police morgue in Bangkok.

PATTAYA: -- Thirty-five year old Steven Balfour, an ex-British soldier, who had not been seen mid-May has been confirmed dead after his body was identified by a distinctive tattoo. Last week The Scottish Daily Record ran stories from his worried family and friends that Steve had informed them before a trip to Pattaya that if ‘anything happened to him’ his Thai ex-wife would be responsible.

This turns out not to be the case at all, at least highly unlikely. Steve was last seen on May 14th in Pattaya City during a month long trip to visit his daughter. Last week stories were reported about an altercation with a ‘large American’ and there have been other sightings and rumors surrounding the missing man and yet nothing has been seen or heard from him, until now.

On May 15 2016 Pattaya One ran a story about a mysterious death in Walking Street where an unknown man had died in strange circumstances in a room with a ladyboy. The dead man’s body has been in the police morgue in Bangkok ever since.

However, yesterday this was identified as the body of Steven Balfour, which is now in the process of being repatriated to Scotland.

The Scottish Daily Record report today that Steve’s heartbroken parents Archie and Anne, from Rosyth, were last night coming to terms with the tragic news but were still seeking answers.

Archie, who served alongside his son in the Royal Scots, said: ‘From what we have heard we’re certain it’s Steve – who else would have exactly the same tattoo of Georgina’s name on their arm. But we still don’t know what happened to him.’

‘He always went out with his wallet with bank and ID cards in it, and that wasn’t with him when he was found. He was also very fit to do his job and play golf a few times each week so it is unlikely to be a medical matter. There are lots of questions for the police to answer.’ The incident is still being investigated.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/225765/missing-former-british-soldier-confirmed-dead-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-06-21

So nobody bothered to read the article, just go and slag off all of Thailand then shall we?

Police in the room Steve was found with the ladyboy he had met

Quote: "

Officers told the paper the victim “probably tripped due to his intoxicated state causing him to injure himself”

You are absolutely right of course.

Don't underestimate, 1) The lack of system integration or any decent IT 2) The lack of activity or simply incompetence of the Police.

Whatever we say about the delay in matching up an unidentified body with this poor chap the result is still the same. The poor guy is dead and the family have to deal with the loss.

Very sad story.

RIP Steve and my prayers go out to his family, friends and particularly his little daughter

Archived