Body of missing Scottish dad Steve Balfour is found in police morgue in Thailand

webfact

""The resort’s manager, Mike Williams, told how he was knocked unconscious by a “large American” in a bar before he went missing."

That was in the night of may 14.

In the early hours of may 15 this happened to steve:

http://www.dailystar...ssion-wild-romp

"She reports the foreigner died in the early hours of Sunday, May 15 after hitting his head on a wall during a wild romp with a ladyboy at a hotel in Pattaya."

As you see, his head has taken more then 1 hit that night..."

Good bit of detective work there,so it was murder!

Do you believe the story or the word of a friend who said he was hit months ago?

He wasn't the only one to say that it happened months before either.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sorry to hear this young man has died, In whatever circumstances, maybe a full on mind explosion. This place can be very crazy.

My condolences to his Mother and Father. I hope you can find some way to cope with your loss.

""The resort’s manager, Mike Williams, told how he was knocked unconscious by a “large American” in a bar before he went missing."

"She reports the foreigner died in the early hours of Sunday, May 15 after hitting his head on a wall during a wild romp with a ladyboy at a hotel in Pattaya."

Do you believe the story or the word of a friend who said he was hit months ago?

Post #131

Same version of events.

Different source. This could be true. Check my post it has url link.

Post #131

Same version of events.

Different source. This could be true. Check my post it has url link.

Yes.

I meant the incident with the American being on the same day/ night.

:)

How about finding and jailing who ever was involved,

He's apparently dead, after falling down drunk..

You want the guy, that caused his own death arrested?

In the morgue, the day he died...

He should have kept his passport with him, or a copy of it!!

Can you all please stop speculating, Steve was a friend of mine and a lot of other people in this town and a very nice, funny and quietly spoken guy he was. He doted on his daughter and loved her very very much. The attack in the bar happened well before his disappearance, by as much as maybe 6 months, I know the reasons why but will not divulge them to you lot, it was an horrific attack, and Steve did receive medical attention after, and CCTV footage was recovered.

As for the events of May 15, I have no idea, and I am not going to speculate on anything. As to why he wasn't reported missing sooner no one knows, certain people were out of town at that time who may have kept closer contact with him and hence an earlier Missing Persons report may have been filed.

All his friends here are devastated by this news as is his family and friends back in Scotland some of whom are here in town at the moment I believe, so please, I understand your interest in this story but can you please try and be respectful, he was a young man with his whole life ahead of him, his daughter has lost her dad, his parents have lost a son and he has a couple of brothers as well, so please, no sarcasm of pointless remarks out of respect for a good friend.

Thank you

Were charges laid in the attack on him?

Not that I'm aware of. I can't comment further.

As the other thread is likely to be closed, I'll repeat my question.

Why couldn't the Thai police manage to match up missing person reports to dead bodies found?

There can't be that many white males found dead in Pattaya every night.

Person missing on 14 May, dead body found on 15 May. This isn't rocket science.

sounds to me like they wanted a possible murder to fade away, the police involved need to be seriously scrutinised as to why this was not investigated properly, I smell a huge rat

The shory of Steve and the LadyBoy was put out the day he died..

Hardly some conspiracy to cover up a murder, that never happened..

As the other thread is likely to be closed, I'll repeat my question.

Why couldn't the Thai police manage to match up missing person reports to dead bodies found?

There can't be that many white males found dead in Pattaya every night.

Person missing on 14 May, dead body found on 15 May. This isn't rocket science.

Could not agree more. This death created International attention and suddenly there was an investigation.

Then after a few days Detective Sherlock goes to morgue 'just in case' - Ohhhh there he is! Would you not think that would be the first place to start, plus hospitals in the area???? Derrrr.

Yes,yes.And the only corpse in the morgue? The only farang? Probably not.And probably one of many corpses. Expecting some special action from Police who have many such delivered daily "pending" follow up investigation because farang rate higher in the boring mundane rhetorical questioning of witnesses who customarily "know nothing" ? Is anyone other than the assigned to the case aware of any details?

"Identified" by virtue of a tattoo? No passport or other I.D at scene of death ? Randomly selected romping partner had no insight?

And same assigned Police has additional other cases of multiple mutilated corpses as a result of infidelity excuses, drunk/ ya ba driving accidents with waiting family members climbing down his throat for an announcement of culpability for which a price can be extracted!

And as part of the late night/ early morning routine having to additionally write up reports from fazed tourists claiming the theft of a wallet, handbag ,camera, cellphone that went missing while they were down an alley or in a shop front vomiting up excesses of alcohol!blink.png In the secure knowledge it is likely to only be a ploy to claim on travel insurance!

The perception that the RTP wholly are useless is an unjustifiable slight.

My sadness is for the family of this man. As concerned parents they now have an answer as to his whereabouts. It is unlikely that true details will be generally disseminated.

In places like Pattaya it amazes me that the Police do not resign enmasse or go loose with their own guns!facepalm.gif

Most of the police do not care...while they never have.

Over the last 40 years that Pattaya has been an international play ground there has been hundreds of foreigners die there in a variety of ways and possibly as much as over 1000 foreigners found dead while probably 30 to 40 to possibly 50 foreigners have died there but their bodies were never discovered.

I would say the police have become indifferent and desensitized to all the violence often occurring and somewhat uninterested in pursuing the reasons or the motives involved as to why there is a death of yet another foreigner.

As pointed out by others, numerous times before, they do not want the publicity or the scrutiny while they do not want to dig up the dirt that could or would be attached to the death of a foreigner.

I surmise the higher authorities basically let the police handle it their own way with as little publicity as possible and more or less try to do as little as possible to solve the case unless they are seriously pressured in some way or by someone to solve the case while the pressure usually results in someone being used as a convenient scape goat so they can close the case and move on.

Fortunately there have been many cases correctly investigated while the guilty perpetrators were eventually sentenced but those cases probably make up possibly 10 % of all the foreigner deaths that have occurred under nefarious circumstance.

I also believe that there are more than enough police officers that would sincerely like to pursue the cases and lawfully force the people involved to face the law and see justice served but I would surmise they are told by others in positions of authority to leave it alone and take care of other matters that need tending to.

Of course if they smell money to be made then that factor changes their indolent attitude and then they are available to assist and investigate as long as the money trail continues to flow into their hands.....but even then, paying the police to pursue a case such as the one in this OP commonly ends in frustrated dissatisfaction and a waste of time and money while the police never intended to resolve the case rather milk it for all its "worth"

Cheers

It doesnt appear that the police were at fault for the long delay. Lets focus on the British Embassy and others instead.

Mike Williams, the manager of the resort where Steve stayed, used to be a detective in Australia and now works part-time

with the local police.

From a couple of quotes taken from a newspaper article in Scotland on 17 June:

'Mike said, The Thai police cant really do anything until the British Embassy get involved, and that hasnt happened...

He defended the Thai polices handling of the investigation, saying: They are doing as much as they can, but there are

rules about when people can be questioned and gaining access to bank accounts.

[url=http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/fife-dad-fears-ex-soldier-8213339#uV6YumJXRsoiJrUu.97]

RIP Steve

Edited by Siamwhiteelephant

RIP Steve.

This should be a lesson to ALL the foreigners who think that they are welcome to Thailand.

But my guess is that tomorrow the following foreigner is digging his grave in Thailand.

This is Pattaya, a massive city of brothels. It is a LONG way from the real Thailand.

I feel sad for the little girl. Not only is she being brought up in such a hellhole of a city but one day she will find out exactly what happened to her dad by using google.

Have you ever been to Pattaya? If so, you'll know that certain areas are red light districts, like many other cities in the world. These areas can be fun to many and are far from the hellholes you describe. I suspect you've made your bed in some boring little backwater and are jealous of us who've chosen Pattaya. You'd love to settle here but the wife won't let you.

The rest of Pattaya is like any other growing city and the surrounding areas are really nice. There are thousands of kids being brought up very happily in this city and surrounds. I personally love the area. I'm married to a Thai lady who isn't an ex bar or gogo girl, just a normal hard working lass. Pattaya has its bad points but doesn't deserve the ignorant remarks that you make about it. Try paying a visit sometime and be pleasantly surprised.

I know this is straying from the subject of the thread, but it jars me to see people who don't live here constantly slagging the place.

RIP Mr Balfour.

RIP Steve.

This should be a lesson to ALL the foreigners who think that they are welcome to Thailand.

But my guess is that tomorrow the following foreigner is digging his grave in Thailand.

Really?

I been married to the same girl for +10 years. have a 6 year old boy together with my lovely wife and don't fell I am in imminent danger.

Maybe I am naive??

Boy, Thaivisa is funny sometimes, like a Benny Hill show, above only based on my own experiences over the last many years but off-course the experts here on TV know better than me and I will end up in a shallow grave one daylaugh.png .

Edited by guzzi850m2

RIP Steve.

This is Pattaya, a massive city of brothels. It is a LONG way from the real Thailand.

I feel sad for the little girl. Not only is she being brought up in such a hellhole of a city but one day she will find out exactly what happened to her dad by using google.

Have you ever been to Pattaya? If so, you'll know that certain areas are red light districts, like many other cities in the world. These areas can be fun to many and are far from the hellholes you describe. I suspect you've made your bed in some boring little backwater and are jealous of us who've chosen Pattaya. You'd love to settle here but the wife won't let you.

The rest of Pattaya is like any other growing city and the surrounding areas are really nice. There are thousands of kids being brought up very happily in this city and surrounds. I personally love the area. I'm married to a Thai lady who isn't an ex bar or gogo girl, just a normal hard working lass. Pattaya has its bad points but doesn't deserve the ignorant remarks that you make about it. Try paying a visit sometime and be pleasantly surprised.

I know this is straying from the subject of the thread, but it jars me to see people who don't live here constantly slagging the place.

RIP Mr Balfour.

Of course I've been to Pattaya. I live in a city. I'd hate to live in Pattaya for many reasons. I certainly wouldn't want my kids there. Why the need to tell us your wife wasn't a prostitute? Strange thing to say.

The way you lot put this man down, over pages and pages of inane vitriol on the other thread is horrible. With comments about his wife, his way of life and even proposing the fact that his six year old daughter shall become a prostitute.

Has absolutely shocked me. You should be ashamed of yourselves, and perhaps look in the mirror.

RIP

RIP this guy.

My two pen'uth here. The Police have done this right and well. They have visited the crime scene/accident scene, interviewed the ladyboy, preserved the body etc. That they can do nothing further until the British Embassy report the dissapearance is not their fault. And it seems the Embassy has not reacted until the message has got through to them from the guy's scottish relatives. Strictly speaking, that is correct too. Distraught freinds are not the same as a police missing persons report from the UK.

I would like to know where the wife hails from. If BuriRam there could be some explaining to do. (ladyboy from BuriRam...)

Otherwise it does appear to be a tragically straightforward accident. And with excellent attention from the Boys in Blue.

Moral of the story? Please try not to croak in anonymous surroundings in a foreign land.....

It doesnt appear that the police were at fault for the long delay. Lets focus on the British Embassy and others instead.

Mike Williams, the manager of the resort where Steve stayed, used to be a detective in Australia and now works part-time

with the local police.

From a couple of quotes taken from a newspaper article in Scotland on 17 June:

'Mike said, The Thai police cant really do anything until the British Embassy get involved, and that hasnt happened...

He defended the Thai polices handling of the investigation, saying: They are doing as much as they can, but there are

rules about when people can be questioned and gaining access to bank accounts.

[url=

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/fife-dad-fears-ex-soldier-8213339%23uV6YumJXRsoiJrUu.97%20]RIP Steve

However, it baffles me that without any investigation at that initial point needed, the police didn't notice the connection with the unidentified body and the missing person(Steve).

Edited by Siamwhiteelephant

RIP Steve.

Right, because all girls in Thailand are bad. Been living and working in Thailand over 20 years never had

any problems with girls trying to hurt or kill me.

Get out of the bar scene and you might discover there is a whole different Thailand available.

Awful way to be remembered & about worst scenario could be for familly .

I was involved with a murder enquiry few years back as guy who got shot was linked to friends of mine who was related to him & wanted me follow & translate some things, was awful experience, uk newspapers had investigator pretty much rap up case in 24hrs as thais talk easy for small cash, Was shot by blokes who were paid by his wife, Police had let her go & probably been paid too, they quite simply do not want do any work if not getting something extra from it, it as simple as that, had pull her in again after private investigation effort & newspapers made it hard for it to be not washed over.

You can guarantee it will be sloppy investigation beyond belief & any storyline is possible if enough money & right contacts are available, that just how thailand is unfortunately ... This guy was reported as a bodyguard so not average fat belly oap yet he still ended up brown bread ...

The Gutters of thailand like Pattaya are death traps at worst & life ruining memories at best, remember where you are, life is worth less than 25satang here ...

RIP Steve.

Really?

I been married to the same girl for +10 years. have a 6 year old boy together with my lovely wife and don't fell I am in imminent danger.

Maybe I am naive??

Boy, Thaivisa is funny sometimes, like a Benny Hill show, above only based on my own experiences over the last many years but off-course the experts here on TV know better than me and I will end up in a shallow grave one daylaugh.png .

Lol agreed, I managed to last 13 years in Pattaya and I'm ok and still very happy after 15 years with the same girl.

:)

Edited by davethailand

R.I.P. Steve, Again another life cut short way before time. no matter who is wrong, who is culpable, Condolences to his Family, and I hope his young Daughter makes it through this trauma in her life and has happy memories of an obviously loving Father.

"Have you ever been to Pattaya? If so, you'll know that certain areas are red light districts, like many other cities in the world. These areas can be fun to many and are far from the hellholes you describe. I suspect you've made your bed in some boring little backwater and are jealous of us who've chosen Pattaya. You'd love to settle here but the wife won't let you.

I know this is straying from the subject of the thread, but it jars me to see people who don't live here constantly slagging the place."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I thought I'd heard it all,jealous of someone living in Pattaya?I'd rather live in Baghdad,Beirut or Syria! bah.gif

"Have you ever been to Pattaya? If so, you'll know that certain areas are red light districts, like many other cities in the world. These areas can be fun to many and are far from the hellholes you describe. I suspect you've made your bed in some boring little backwater and are jealous of us who've chosen Pattaya. You'd love to settle here but the wife won't let you.

I know this is straying from the subject of the thread, but it jars me to see people who don't live here constantly slagging the place."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I thought I'd heard it all,jealous of someone living in Pattaya?I'd rather live in Baghdad,Beirut or Syria! bah.gif

The amazing thing is that I know this guy and others actually think this way.