Two Zika cases reported in Chiang Mai

webfact

Two Zika cases reported in Chiang Mai

2106009-wpcf_728x409.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- A house in Chiang Mai’s Sansai district and its surrounding area within 100-metre radius have been declared off-limits to unauthorized outsiders by Tambon Sansai Luang municipality after a boy and a girl were tested positive with Zika virus.

Mr Nathee Damrong, the mayor of the municipality, said that the declaration of disease control area around a house in Ban Jo, village five of Tambon Sansai Noi for 28 days was necessary to keep the virus from spreading as a precaution after the two Zika cases were confirmed.

It was however reported that the two kids, both about 10-11 years old, had already been treated at a hospital and their conditions have returned to normal and they have now been discharged.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/two-zika-cases-reported-chiang-mai/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-22

Crisis centers set up in Chiang Mai after discovery of Zika infections

z.jpg

BANGKOK, 22 June 2016 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health has set up crisis centers against the Zika virus, dispatching officials to monitor against the disease 24 hours a day after discovering cases of the infection in San Sai district of Chiang Mai province.

Authorities have designated Baan Jo village of San Sai district in Chiang Mai an area of control after an 11 year old boy and a 9 year old girl were discovered to have contracted the Zika virus.

Authorities are now searching for all people who were in contact with the two children over the past 14 days and set up a 100 meter quarantine around their homes. The Department of Disease Control has set up a crisis center at both the district and provincial levels to implement all necessary control measures but has reported that checks have uncovered no additional infections of the disease.

The department has reminded that the virus itself only results in minor flu-like symptoms in those infected and usually clears up in 2-7 days, but warned that pregnant women exposed to the illness can be at risk of giving birth to children with microcephaly, or an abnormally small head. It urged citizens to join in eliminating mosquito breeding grounds to limit the diseases spread.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-22 footer_n.gif

If you have seen the babies with microcephaly that Zika causes you would understand that it is a devastating virus. Perhaps not fatal but creating lifetime problems in newborns. So it is well worth trying to prevent it spreading.

If you have seen the babies with microcephaly that Zika causes you would understand that it is a devastating virus. Perhaps not fatal but creating lifetime problems in newborns. So it is well worth trying to prevent it spreading.

Yeah, because clearly the 100+ that died of Dengue in Thailand last year were not at all devastating for anyone, nor the 100,000+ non-fatal cases, many (or perhaps most) of which were debilitating.

And the fact that this year is expected to beat that isn't at all devastating either.

Perhaps you are missing my point.

Horses. Stable Doors.

Edited by Chicog

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dengue has caused a number of actual DEATHS this year, so why are they getting quite so excited about this?

Not sure about your neighborhood, but in the rural village where I maintain a home the local authorities respond pretty quickly to any case of Dengue with a good spraying of insecticide within a set radius of the house of the diseased individual. Local governments agencies, usually the tambon administration, work well in this regard. Given a tropical environment, the Thai government does a good job of keeping mosquito borne diseases in check. The government would be well advised to use the same protocols when Zika is reported.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dengue has caused a number of actual DEATHS this year, so why are they getting quite so excited about this?

Not sure about your neighborhood, but in the rural village where I maintain a home the local authorities respond pretty quickly to any case of Dengue with a good spraying of insecticide within a set radius of the house of the diseased individual. Local governments agencies, usually the tambon administration, work well in this regard. Given a tropical environment, the Thai government does a good job of keeping mosquito borne diseases in check. The government would be well advised to use the same protocols when Zika is reported.

Spraying needs to be regular - not one-off. Numbers soon bounce back unless the cycle can be broken.

That place in near my home!

Not worries as I am a healthy adult.. so if I get it, it will be like mild flue. My friend has got Dengue fever and is in hospital. My partner got Dengue fever a few year ago too.

The local authorities do not go around spraying the area to kill the mosquitoes because of that... maybe there has to be a lot of cases before they do that? In 10 years living in this area.. in 3 different villages... only once did I see spraying to kill off mosquitoes.... and I hear of people getting Dengue fever here quite a lot... so perhaps the Thai government does not do such a great job of controlling the insects as Johpa says they do in his village.. or maybe its down to local authorities and some are better than others.

Perhaps this is a wake up call to the San Sai authorities. There has been a high incidence of mosquitos in San Sai Noi and evidence of Dengue mosquitos but the response from the authorities was no action as no one has died in the area.

There is absolutely no proof that the Zika virus causes microcephaly. The whole Zika virus thing is like HIV, SARS, MERS, Nile virus, Ebola, the swine flu etc. yet another despicable medical-pharmaceutical mafia scam which these criminals expect to bring in billions of taxpayer money for them from governments whose members are either gullible or are coerced by the World Health/Hell Organisation. Wake up and smell the stench of corruption!

Zika: message to purveyors of medical fraud

https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2016/06/07/zika-message-to-purveyors-of-medical-fraud/