PM Prayut vows to overhaul Bangkok's drainage system

webfact

PM vows to overhaul drainage system of capital

BANGKOK, 22 June 2016 (NNT) – The Prime Minister has confirmed the government’s determination to revamp the entire flood drainage system in Bangkok while promising to minimize impacts on residents.

In the wake of severe flooding in many parts of Bangkok on Tuesday, Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said he had already assigned relevant agencies, including the Ministry of Interior, the military, the National Council for Peace and Order and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, to make preparations for such an incident beforehand, especially in vulnerable areas of the city.

However, the premier admitted that the improvement of the drainage system has been conducted in a selective manner, preventing the flood problem from being solved effectively. He thus disclosed a plan to give the entire system a facelift as a long-term solution.

Gen Prayut also asked citizens to trust in the government’s ability to tackle flooding while saying officials will strive to ensure that effects on the public are minimal. He then pleaded for understanding as the flood prevention work under the responsibility of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is a long-term project that requires a great amount of time and budget.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-22 footer_n.gif

If i were a programmer i would say Thailand is in an infinite loop regarding Bangkok flooding. Each year flooding and then the statements about fixing it. But nothing ever changes?

After the real big flooding the officials went all over the world to see how they dealt with floadings abroad.

But nothing has changed except downtown BKK got some huge pumps and underground canals.

I hope the general is wise enough to ask advice from foreign experts, Thai have ploblems with watersystems in general. every fountain they build is broken within 2 years.

Since it's Bkk something may actually be done, sort of, compared to less important parts of the country.

A couple of weeks ago a large quantity of big bore pipes were dumped all over the area where I live, dumped being the operative word.

The piping is still where it was dropped and absolutely no work of any description has started and that includes surveying.

The reason season started early here and there's forecasts of major rain for August and September so no doubt, when laid, the piping is designed to help but quite which rainy season it's planned for remains to be seen.

If i were a programmer i would say Thailand is in an infinite loop regarding Bangkok flooding. Each year flooding and then the statements about fixing it. But nothing ever changes?

After the real big flooding the officials went all over the world to see how they dealt with floadings abroad.

But nothing has changed except downtown BKK got some huge pumps and underground canals.

I hope the general is wise enough to ask advice from foreign experts, Thai have ploblems with watersystems in general. every fountain they build is broken within 2 years.

Heheee

Heheee

Hehee

You just made my morning a lot brighter with your nonsensical post

Sinking city. It's almost too late to save it, pumping water from one area flooding another one isn't a limited solution.

Bangkok was built in a swamp, next to a river which is subject to tidal flows -- the current reverses when the tide is rising. They have always had flooding. It used to be much worse. I don't remember which governor of Bangkok it was who implemented His Majesty's plan to improve the drainage system, but it did a great deal to improve the situation. There are areas of Bangkok that used to remain flooded from the first of June until the end of October. They no longer are. The current problem is just one of runoff. When the rain is heavy, because Bangkok is so flat it takes time for the excess water to run into the canals and river. I don't say there are no improvements to be made, but the kind of twelve inch two hour flooding we commonly see nowadays isn't going to be ended.

I first saw a story about Bangkok sinking in Mary Haas's Thai Reader, taken from a newspaper story in the 1940s. They've been saying Bangkok is sinking at a rate of 2.5 centimeters (1 inch) a year due to taking water from artesian wells for at least 70 years. Yes, rising sea levels are going to be a BIG problem.

Soooo . . . The Boss "had already assigned relevant agencies to make preparations for such an incident beforehand" BUT they didn't. I think he should give them one more last chance. In addition the good people of BKK should "trust in the governments ability to tackle flooding while saying officials will strive to ensure that effects on the public are minimal."

Not to worry then. It's all sorted this time.

Edited by bluebluewater

"The Prime Minister has confirmed the government’s determination to revamp the entire flood drainage system in Bangkok while promising to minimize impacts on residents."

clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcrazy.gif

He was told last year there would be floods. Hell, I knew that... but he (apparently) didn't. One of us must be completely stupid.

W

Bangkok has an elected Democrat Governor. If Prayut doesn't believe the Governor isn't adequetely dealing with the flood drainage system, then replace him with military officers under Article 44. Prayut has been replacing elected city mayors coming to the end of their terms with military officers under Article 44 so it's not an issue.

The only way to overhaul Bangkok's drainage system is to dig up all the existing one and lay down bigger drains. To be honest, they have been doing a good job at upgrading such as bigger pumps, and bigger pipes further down the drainage system. But the problem still lies in the beginning, where the drains are located on the road - too small, blocked, etc Hence when it rains hard, the initial drainage on the road can't move the water along fast enough.

Yes but that was before under the "old government" now General Prayut is in control everything and anything is within his capabilities.....

believe it or not?

People go on as if things have not improved, when in fact things are much better than before. Water is drained off pretty quickly now. When I was a lad blah blah blah

"PM vows to overhaul drainage system of capital"

Oh he 'vows' does he? wow, that's really impressive...

Oh well that's alright then, the bastion of the Thai feudal barons will be saved from Noah's flood by Bozo the clown riding in on his tricycle.

Jesus wept. What a complete a$$h0le.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

"...........understanding as the flood prevention work under the responsibility of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is a long-term project that requires a great amount of time and budget."

The only relevant understanding is, it is going to happen again!

As one poster suggested, bring in some overseas expertise. I might suggest the Dutch who seem to have mastered the control of water in and around their country.

"...........understanding as the flood prevention work under the responsibility of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is a long-term project that requires a great amount of time and budget."

The only relevant understanding is, it is going to happen again!

As one poster suggested, bring in some overseas expertise. I might suggest the Dutch who seem to have mastered the control of water in and around their country.

They did use the Dutch, years ago.

Unfortunately only about a third of the projects got completed which meant almost none of it worked.

Also the drains are always blocked with rubbish restricting their flow.

Loads of reasons really that are hardly ever dealt with.

Not that it is much better in Jomtien/Pattaya where I live.