695 Baht for a Jacobs Creek Chardonnay at 7/Eleven?

giddyup

Got a couple of friends coming for lunch tomorrow so decided to get a bottle of white wine to go with the seafood. It's pretty slim pickings in this area (dark side) for choice of wine, so decided to buy an old standard, a bottle of Jacobs Creek Chardonnay, but nearly fell over when they said 695 Baht, that's like A$28! Strangely enough the JC red was only 395 baht, so I don't know if a mistake was made or not.

I've virtually stopped drinking wine when in Thailand, even crap wine is normally two or three times the price I can buy it in Aus.

I rarely buy it, but I wanted to serve some with lunch.

I'm sure most ex-pats must be familiar with the price of wine in Thailand which is way above western prices due to their huge import duties. Strangely enough Australian wines can be bought in the UK for much the same price as they can in Australia despite the 12,000 mile freight journey! But I digress. By far the cheapest way to buy wines in Thailand is by the box. Peter Vella (red or white) in 4 litre boxes sold at 799 baht wherever you can find it is a drinkable 'house' chardonnay, if a little on the sweet side. Mont Claire in 5 litre boxes is also found everywhere wine is sold and if you order a glass of house wine in a restaurant it's more than likely to be Mont Claire.

If you live on the dark side and head right down to the bottom of Nern Plub Waan, turn left at the T junction, just on the left a few metres down there's a drinks shop that sells a selection of wines at prices that you probably won't better. Obviously there's no getting away from Thai wine prices in general though. Also these small shops are the best places to buy gin and vodka rather than the much higher prices charged in most supermarkets like BigC and Tesco (e.g Gordons gin about 775 baht compared to BigC at around 830 baht).

7/11 also sell half bottles of Jacobs Creek so if the price of the red you saw was at 395 baht it was either a half bottle you saw or they genuinely mis-priced it.

I'm sure most ex-pats must be familiar with the price of wine in Thailand which is way above western prices due to their huge import duties. Strangely enough Australian wines can be bought in the UK for much the same price as they can in Australia despite the 12,000 mile freight journey! But I digress. By far the cheapest way to buy wines in Thailand is by the box. Peter Vella (red or white) in 4 litre boxes sold at 799 baht wherever you can find it is a drinkable 'house' chardonnay, if a little on the sweet side. Mont Claire in 5 litre boxes is also found everywhere wine is sold and if you order a glass of house wine in a restaurant it's more than likely to be Mont Claire.

If you live on the dark side and head right down to the bottom of Nern Plub Waan, turn left at the T junction, just on the left a few metres down there's a drinks shop that sells a selection of wines at prices that you probably won't better. Obviously there's no getting away from Thai wine prices in general though. Also these small shops are the best places to buy gin and vodka rather than the much higher prices charged in most supermarkets like BigC and Tesco (e.g Gordons gin about 775 baht compared to BigC at around 830 baht).

7/11 also sell half bottles of Jacobs Creek so if the price of the red you saw was at 395 baht it was either a half bottle you saw or they genuinely mis-priced it.

down to the bottom of Nern Plub Waan

Sorry but presumably you mean heading away from Suk?

As mentioned the cheap "plonk" you can buy elsewhere is way overpriced here.

I have only bought wine a couple of times in LoS and regretted it each time. Whatever brand was just not worth the money I paid.

Local made wines are only useful for polishing silver wear.....

My one big, big, big mistake with wine was when I stupidly agreed to have a bottle of wine in an Indian Restaurant to impress a Thai lady friend I was with.... she picked it without me checking the price or how many Brown Bhat notes were in my wallet.

It is the only time I have had to use Mastercad to pay a "bin"....

It's pretty slim pickings in this area (dark side) for choice of wine,

You're allowed to travel across Sukumvit without a re-entry permit. Doubt you'll find it much cheaper over here, but you can check at Friendship or Big C Extra.

The small 375 ml bottles of white or red Jacobs Creek are Baht 360 at Friendship.

The majority of imposed foods and beverages are subject to an import tariff from as much as 50% to 100% of the value stand on the invoice. In the case of alcohol its is taxed additionally depending on the amount of alcohol in the selling unit.

It's pretty slim pickings in this area (dark side) for choice of wine,

You're allowed to travel across Sukumvit without a re-entry permit. Doubt you'll find it much cheaper over here, but you can check at Friendship or Big C Extra.

The small 375 ml bottles of white or red Jacobs Creek are Baht 360 at Friendship.

It was a 750 ml bottle, so 695 baht sounds about right. It's been quite a while since I've had a white wine in Thailand, 6 years at least, so it tasted pretty good I must admit.