Border Run With Infant- What Are The Rules?

My husband and I must do a visa run soon. We are both foreigners. We are uncertain what our options are regarding our Thailand-born infant. She does not have a passport and we will be unable to get one for her before we need to leave the country for our chops. She has a Thai birth certificate and a Thai house registration document. The only information I have seen on her situation stated that she was in a special category and is allowed to stay without a visa up until the time she travels into Thailand on a passport. Does anyone know if she can travel with us on her birth certificate into a neighboring country and back? We want her to accompany us, but we don't want to have a problem at the border.

Thanks for any information.

How come she is has a Thai birth certificate and is listed on Thai household papers, if her birth parents are foreigners? Sounds very fishy to me.

If the birth parents are not Thai, they should register her birth at the appropriate embassy and get the child a proper passport of that nation.

If she is Thai, her birth parents, as listed on the birth certificate, can apply for a passport on her behalf. Then you will have no problem with the Thai immigration at the border.

How come she is has a Thai birth certificate and is listed on Thai household papers, if her birth parents are foreigners?  Sounds very fishy to me.

If the birth parents are not Thai, they should register her birth at the appropriate embassy and get the child a proper passport of that nation.

If she is Thai, her birth parents, as listed on the birth certificate, can apply for a passport on her behalf.  Then you will have no problem with the Thai immigration at the border.

i can understand a birth certificate from a thailand hospital, but not your child listed on thai house papers. what nationality/passport holders are both of you?

there is your answer, as you won't be able to bring your baby across the border without a passport.

i suggest you go to your embassy and file an application for your child, take the passport application receipt to thai immigration to show them. i can almost guarantee that they will give both of you one extension to cover the period of processing your child's new passport, <2 weeks?>

let us know how it goes by posting back on thaivisa.

The only information I have seen on her situation stated that she was in a special category and is allowed to stay without a visa up until the time she travels into Thailand on a passport.

i believe you mean "without a visa up until the time she travels out of thailand on a passport"

My husband and I must do a visa run soon. We are both foreigners. We are uncertain what our options are regarding our Thailand-born infant. She does not have a passport and we will be unable to get one for her before we need to leave the country for our chops. She has a Thai birth certificate and a Thai house registration document. The only information I have seen on her situation stated that she was in a special category and is allowed to stay without a visa up until the time she travels into Thailand on a passport. Does anyone know if she can travel with us on her birth certificate into a neighboring country and back? We want her to accompany us, but we don't want to have a problem at the border.

Thanks for any information.

You are gonna have to give a bit more information to enable any reasoned response.