Malaysian driver acts dumb as he replaces clamped wheel with the spare

webfact

Malaysian driver acts dumb as he replaces clamped wheel with the spare

s4a.jpg
Image: Daily News

HAY YAI: -- A Malaysian tourist who parked his car illegally at a Hat Yai market came back after doing some shopping to find the front wheel had been clamped. So he changed it for the spare in the boot.

Unfortunately for him a Kim Yong market trader saw him changing the wheel on his Volkswagen and she immediately alerted police. Ong Beng Ek, 25, told police that he had no intention of fleeing, reported Daily News.

s4ab.jpg
Image: Daily New

"I don't know the Thai law, " he claimed. "I was in a hurry to get back to my hotel as I have to get back to Malaysia today."

Police took pity on him. Instead of charging him with removing (or damaging) the clamp that carries a penalty of up to three months in jail or a fine of up to 5000 baht or both, he was just fined for the illegal parking - and given some helpful advice about the Thai law.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-24

Good idea, removing the wheel with the boot and replacing with your spare, but....

A variation on this I saw in D.C. back in 1986-'87 when cars were parked overly long near the Lincoln Memorial was that when you parked and expected to be more than the two hours on the meter, you took off one wheel and replaced it with a spare wheel from the trunk that already had a D.C. style boot on it. After work, reverse and go home.

I just paid the fine(s) promptly thus avoided a frequent offender flag, it was cheaper than paying for a parking spot in the State Dept bldg basement.

Mac

of course completely legal to take off clamped wheels in Malaysia and Police there can also take 'pity' on offenders and not apply the law without fear or favour when they feel like it

Edited by LannaGuy

One might speculate that the market trader that called the police was doing so for a second time. He he.

The ethnic Chinese, of any nationality, are space invaders by custom, constantly trying to extend the area over which they have control by judicious and surreptitious use of flower pots, umbrella shades, traffic cones, vehicles, the moving of boundary markers or the creation of islands. The trouble begins when two of these encroachers meet and they fight like cats.

One might speculate that the market trader that called the police was doing so for a second time. He he.

The ethnic Chinese, of any nationality, are space invaders by custom, constantly trying to extend the area over which they have control by judicious and surreptitious use of flower pots, umbrella shades, traffic cones, vehicles, the moving of boundary markers or the creation of islands. The trouble begins when two of these encroachers meet and they fight like cats.

that's true but so are Thais pushing out onto the pavement everywhere and, particularly, blocking off parking in front their of houses and shops and I suspect the person who reported this guy felt his/her space was taken

of course there is wheel clamping in malaysia.

must say this guy has guts to so blatantly contravene traffic

laws and to make it worse interfere with police enforcement.

possibly the wheel clamp used in this instance needs structural improvement

so that the wheel cannot be changed.

now to the question of police action in this case:

one way of looking at it is that the response by the police was very humane

although the action of the driver in this case of changing the clamped wheel

cannot be justified under any circumstances.

on the other hand will it set a precedent that you can get away with selfish

and indiscriminate parking.

i am just curious what he would have done with the wheel clamp had he succeeded in

effecting the change and had driven off from the site.

Perfectly plausible, I didn't know that law either, and I've been here 20 years. Good on the police for being a bit flexible.

Nobody wants gestapo police.

You didnt know that drivers are not allowed to remove wheel clamps? What do you think they are put there for in the first place? Decoration?

I cannot believe that the Thai police are using such Micky Mouse clamps as the one in the picture.Are you seriously telling me that the wire square is what passes for a wheel clamp?Did the bright spark who thought this one up have no idea that all you had to do was remove the wheel.?? The very idea, is to render the vehicle immovable. So therefore the wheel nuts must be covered by the clamp body as they are in most countries.Oh wait a sec,was the company who made them someones brother in law or cousin?Who plundered the budget before going into manufacture,and this all they could afford afterwards?

Yep,i guess thats the answer.If i was a copper I'd be embarrassed to be seen fitting one of these.

of course completely legal to take off clamped wheels in Malaysia and Police there can also take 'pity' on offenders and not apply the law without fear or favour when they feel like it

yes, maybe they do if you are Malay. But just let a Chinese or Indian try it whistling.gif

Bet they wouldnt have clamped the car if it had Thai plates on it...

Just landed in Thailand?

No ..been here 15 years..why ? your not going to pull, "you have been here longer than me" line and i must bow down to your all knowing farang knowlege of all things Thai are you ?

Old trick replacing tyres. I doubt he is that innocent judging from the way he said he needs to get back to the hotel and back to Malaysia. Obviously this is not the first time for him and he knows his way around to the point of ready to change the tyres. So, "acts dumb" is apt in the OP title!

His biggest mistakes were not able to converse in Thai and having a Malaysian registration plate. I have seen my Thai friends scolding police for "lesser crimes"