US Supreme Court ruling means illegal immigrants with US born children will be deported

webfact

US Supreme Court ruling means illegal immigrants with US born children will be deported

606x341_336535.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- The Supreme Court of the United States has blocked President Obama’s plan to prevent around four million illegal immigrants from being deported if they have US born children and haven’t got a criminal record.

Because the court was equally split in its vote a lower-court ruling from 2015 which invalidated Obama’s plan will be left in place. He told reporters that the US immigration system has been broken for two decades and that the ruling will set it back even further.

“I think it is heartbreaking for the millions of immigrants who made their lives here, who’ve raised families here, who hope for the opportunity to work or pay taxes, serve in our military and fully contribute to this country we all love in an open way,” he said.

The ruling, coming seven months before Obama’s term in office ends, is the latest success that the Republican party has had in thwarting a major policy initiative of the Democrat president.

Obama had hoped that overhauling the immigration system and resolving the fate of the estimated 11 million illegal migrants in the US would be part of his presidential legacy.

The ruling is now likely to further amplify the role that the immigration issue will play in the presidential election campaign.

Republican presumptive nominee Donald Trump had already called for all illegal immigrants to be deported and he’s claimed that he will build a wall between Mexico and the US if he is elected on November 8.

A split ruling was possible because the court was down to eight justices, four liberals and four conservatives, after conservative justice Antonin Scalia died in February.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-24

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's must have been a shock to Obama to learn that despite his relentless efforts to flood the US

with illegal immigrants and pay for them out of the tax payer dime, the supreme court sees that

differently, that will go down well in his up coming memoirs book, probebly titled ; "yes we can, but we didn't"....

Obama immigration plan blocked by 4-4 tie at Supreme Court
By MARK SHERMAN

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court deadlocked Thursday on President Barack Obama's immigration plan that sought to shield millions living in the U.S. illegally from deportation, effectively killing the plan for the rest of his presidency.

The outcome underscores that the direction of U.S. immigration policy will be determined in large part by this fall's presidential election, a campaign in which immigration already has played an outsized role.

People who would have benefited from Obama's plan face no imminent threat of deportation because Congress has provided money to deal with only a small percentage of people who live in the country illegally, and the president retains ample discretion to decide whom to deport. But Obama's effort to expand that protection to many others is effectively stymied.

Obama said Thursday's impasse "takes us further from the country we aspire to be."

The 4-4 tie vote sets no national precedent but leaves in place the ruling by the lower court. The justices issued a one-sentence opinion, with no further comment.

A nine-justice court agreed to hear the case in January, but by the time of the arguments in late April, Justice Antonin Scalia had died. That left eight justices to decide the case, and the court presumably split along liberal and conservative lines, although the court did not say how each justice voted.

In this case, the federal appeals court in New Orleans said the Obama administration lacked the authority to shield up to 4 million immigrants from deportation and make them eligible for work permits without approval from Congress.

Texas led 26 Republican-dominated states in challenging the program Obama announced in November 2014. Congressional Republicans also backed the states' lawsuit.

The Obama administration announced the programs — protections for parents of children who are in the country legally and an expansion of the program that benefits people who were brought to this country as children — in November 2014. Obama decided to move forward after Republicans won control of the Senate in the 2014 midterm elections, and the chances for an immigration overhaul, already remote, were further diminished.

The Senate had passed a broad immigration bill with Democratic and Republican support in 2013, but the measure went nowhere in the GOP-controlled House of Representatives.

The states quickly went to court to block the Obama initiatives. Their lawsuit was heard by U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen in Brownsville, Texas. Hanen previously had criticized the administration for lax immigration enforcement.

Hanen sided with the states, blocking the programs from taking effect. The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals also ruled for the states, and the Justice Department rushed an appeal to the high court so that it could be heard this term.

Had Scalia still been alive, though, he almost certainly would have voted with his fellow conservatives to form a majority in favor of the states.

In practical terms, a victory by presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump could mean an end to the programs anyway, since he has vowed to deport the roughly 11 million immigrants who are in the United States illegally.

If Hillary Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee, is elected, she could attempt to revive the programs or work with the new Congress on comprehensive immigration legislation.

If Clinton wins, the Senate will at some point fill the vacancy created by Scalia's death — either with Obama's nominee, Judge Merrick Garland, or a Clinton choice. In either case, legal challenges to executive action under her administration would come to a court that would have a majority of Democratic-appointed justices and, in all likelihood, give efforts to help immigrants a friendlier reception.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-06-24

The US needs to control its borders just like Thailand does. It should also require Thais living in America to register every 90 days or be fined. Having laws that block Thais from land ownership would be good as well. In addition, those who publicly speak out against the US should lose their visas or not get them. And when Thais quit their jobs, they should be forced to go outside the US to get a new visa. Did I mention higher fee for Thais when they enter US parks? Other businesses can determine if they want to overcharge Thais. By adding a little Thainess to US rules and laws, America could be a better place.

Edited by Alive

Sure, deport them, but first find out who is going to do all that work in agriculture, food service, construction?

Then deport them.

How much will it cost to deport them all?

A comprehensive study on the logistics of deporting the 11million undocumented workers.

AAF examined the personnel and infrastructure implications of removing all 11.3 million illegal aliens in a two-year time frame. In order to remove all illegals, each each one would have to be apprehended, detained, legally processed, and transported to their country of origin.

In order to remove all illegals in two years, the U.S. government would have to expand each of those stages of the removal process. $400 - $600 Billion.

The current annual budget for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, $13.5 billion will need to be increased to $550,000 billion.

This does not include the costs of federal, state and local law enforcement agencies dealing with apprehending, detaining and processing illegals on a daily basis.

• Federal immigration apprehension personnel to increase from 4,844 positions to 90,582 positions;
  • The number of immigration detention beds to increase from 34,000 to 348,831;
  • The number of immigration courts to increase from 58 to 1,316;
  • The number of federal attorneys legally processing undocumented immigrants to increase from 1,430 to 32,445; and
  • A minimum of 17,296 chartered flights and 30,701 chartered bus trips each year.

The US needs to control its borders just like Thailand does. It should also require Thais living in America to register every 90 days or be fined. Having laws that block Thais from land ownership would be good as well. In addition, those who publicly speak out against the US should lose their visas or not get them. And when Thais quit their jobs, they should be forced to go outside the US to get a new visa. Did I mention higher fee for Thais when they enter US parks? Other businesses can determine if they want to overcharge Thais. By adding a little Thainess to US rules and laws, America could be a better place.

Ooh, someone's been burned. [emoji39]

Ooh, someone's been burned. [emoji39]

No it's the reality in Thailand for average people. Thailand discriminates. Why should the US give itself away? Times have changed for America.

Edited by Alive

Maybe prices need to rise and wages for the American working class need to rise too. The borders need to be controlled.

Maybe higher prices are good....Maybe it will be a disaster....or Maybe check with an economist first.

What does a 1% rise in food costs do to an economy? I have seen estimates that food prices will rise 20% if mexicans are deported.

9 out of 10 jobs lost in recent years is due to automation/robotics.

Companies that are paying $1 an hour in China are not going to pay $15 an hour and survive.

They will go with robots or go belly up in may cases.

Are we going to get rid of robots too?

Why not get rid of power tools. Electric saws are putting allot carpenters out of work.

And hand tools like shovels. How many ditch diggers are out of work because of shovels? They should claw the ground with their hands or sticks.

Cars should be banned. Just look at all the saddle makers and hay farmers that went out of business.

Maybe the working class should 'get with the program' and get an education instead of competing with the masses of pitiful poor for the mindless work they perform?

Technology, science and engineering are the future engines of the economy.

Maybe public education should be expanded beyond 12 years and include college too?

Edited by Buzzz

Department of Homeland Security is on record that the maximum of mass deportations it could conduct annually under present resources is 400,000.

With 11 million the raw number, either everyone endures 20 or more years of ongoing mass deportations or the US cranks up a deportation police state as has been presented in the thread above.

Nothing like this has ever been done because it is beyond severe and drastic. Scotus has done nothing to authorise or encourage any such actions to include in its stalemated non-decision of today.

The far right and the wild radical Donald Trump driving the Republican party nationally would reduce the Constitution and its Bill of Rights to an honorary document at best, if not just shred it outright.

One of the people I work with in Thailand took time off from work to go to America to get her kid citizenship. It was a 2-3 month trip. She's wealthy so it was easy for her. Thaksin's son Panthongthae was born in the US. I wonder if he renounced his citizenship? You won't get citizenship in Thailand that way. If I remember correctly it used to be that luk-kreungs even if they had only Thai citizenship couldn't take government civil servant jobs in Thailand because they weren't pure Thai blood. Maybe that's still the same.

While it seems wrong and illogical to allow illegal immigrants (ie people who have either entered illegally or are staying illegally) to remain in the country - perhaps the US should consider that these people show extraordinary resourcefulness and dedication. Admirable attributes for citizens. Give them citizenship. Perhaps extra point for people who entered illegally instead of just overstaying a visa and maybe a minimum time period - 5 years, 10 years of successfully staying in the country illegally. Extra points as well for serving in the US military. Just a different perspective.

None of your petty little ideas would work because most Thais living in America are in fact US citizens.

Buzz, I've got a solution. We'll keep the illegals in the food industry picking vegetables and give them work visas. Everyone else can be deported. That should reduce your numbers. As for the money involved in deportation, just look at Thailand. It doesn't give free plane rides out. We can fine the illegals and make them help pay their own transport. You seem to think US citizens have to pay for this alone.

I'm not against immigration. I am for controlled immigration. I'd also like to see the US refocus and get production going abroad to go to the Americas. I want the nations in the Americas to open up to US citizens in the way we have opened to their citizens. In the future, all of the Americas could be more open to all. We just need to have more control over things now. We wouldn't be in this mess if laws were enforced.

None of your petty little ideas would work because most Thais living in America are in fact US citizens.

Berkshire, I wrote them because this is what Thailand forces on foreigners. Do you think Thailand is right to use these? I don't. But if you do why not use them in the US? Do you know that just 15 years ago a Thai woman would lose her right to buy land under the law if she married a foreigner? But not a Thai man who married a foreign woman. Things are better but foreigners are still second-class citizens under Thai law. Thailand discriminates and is racist in many ways. Why would you defend Thailand abusing people.

Do you know if I quit or lose my job, I have to leave Thailand in 10 days even though I have a family here? I don't have a load of money in the bank to 'buy' the right visa. When it comes to Thai law and foreigners, Thailandd is heartless compared to America. Thais talk about Trump being racist while their nation's laws and leaders are ten times as racist. That's how I see it.

Buzz, I've got a solution. We'll keep the illegals in the food industry picking vegetables and give them work visas. Everyone else can be deported. That should reduce your numbers. As for the money involved in deportation, just look at Thailand. It doesn't give free plane rides out. We can fine the illegals and make them help pay their own transport. You seem to think US citizens have to pay for this alone.

I'm not against immigration. I am for controlled immigration. I'd also like to see the US refocus and get production going abroad to go to the Americas. I want the nations in the Americas to open up to US citizens in the way we have opened to their citizens. In the future, all of the Americas could be more open to all. We just need to have more control over things now. We wouldn't be in this mess if laws were enforced.

I agree. A viable work visa system is the solution. Reagan proposed that. Never did much about it though.

Technology will have an answer for tracking these people soon.

Let's not go 'Hitler' on our poor hardworking neighbors for now.

By the way, the undocumented workers are using fake social security numbers in the job applications and leaving $23 billion a year in the fund.

How is the government going to force the Mexicans to pay for their own deportation I wonder?

Washing dishes?

Immigration has the deportation thing already figured out.

I posted the numbers above.

Edited by Buzzz

Buzz enjoy your enchilada, amigo. You win. Let 'em all in.

My Nexican next door neighbors in California were excellent cooks. Made their own booze too out of cactus. Probably the nicest, most honest ethical people I know.

A few of their undocumented cousins would show up every spring to work in agriculture.

Never a problem.

The neighbors on the other side were from Oklahoma. Thieving crackheads on welfare.

Edited by Buzzz

I know plenty of nice people from abroad. My view on this has nothing to do with that. i only care about rule of law and control over the borders. The world is full of decent people. Thailand too. I'm all for equality but I do believe in nations with borders. Some people don't care. I wonder if I could go to Mexico and start a small business without visa or paperwork. If the rest of the world were as open and as kind as America is to foreigners I'd have different feelings. Letting 12 - 40 million people crossing a border illegally and to work and often give them visas etc is much more generous than most nations of the world are to foreigners. The US capitalists love the cheap labor and the Democrats love the votes. For working Americans, it just means more people, higher rental costs, job competition and wage suppression in my view.

Edited by Alive

While it seems wrong and illogical to allow illegal immigrants (ie people who have either entered illegally or are staying illegally) to remain in the country - perhaps the US should consider that these people show extraordinary resourcefulness and dedication. Admirable attributes for citizens. Give them citizenship. Perhaps extra point for people who entered illegally instead of just overstaying a visa and maybe a minimum time period - 5 years, 10 years of successfully staying in the country illegally. Extra points as well for serving in the US military. Just a different perspective.

That's what Ronald Reagan did. Gave amnesty to 3 million that had proven they were worthy and had been filling a need in the community.

Reagan wanted to be compassionate with our poor next door neighbors. He knew they had a symbiotic relationship with the American people providing needed services that US citizens won't do.

Open borders and a guest worker program is what Reagan worked for.

Please stay on the topic of the US, Immigration and the Court ruling. This topic is not about Thailand or any other country. The laws, regulations and how they are made can vary a great deal from country to country.

Berkshire, I wrote them because this is what Thailand forces on foreigners. Do you think Thailand is right to use these? I don't. But if you do why not use them in the US? Do you know that just 15 years ago a Thai woman would lose her right to buy land under the law if she married a foreigner? But not a Thai man who married a foreign woman. Things are better but foreigners are still second-class citizens under Thai law. Thailand discriminates and is racist in many ways. Why would you defend Thailand abusing people.

Do you know if I quit or lose my job, I have to leave Thailand in 10 days even though I have a family here? I don't have a load of money in the bank to 'buy' the right visa. When it comes to Thai law and foreigners, Thailandd is heartless compared to America. Thais talk about Trump being racist while their nation's laws and leaders are ten times as racist. That's how I see it.

I understand your frustration, but you're cherry-picking. It would be much more difficult for a Thai to just go live in America, the way foreigners can just come live in Thailand. If Thailand were as strict as the US regarding, say, retirement visas, most of the expats in Thailand wouldn't be allowed to live here in the first place. As for foreigners in the US, they really don't have rights the way you're implying.

Regarding the OP, I agree with President Obama. It's really about compassion and decency more than anything else.

But of course they won't be.

Factually. Latino Leaders have named Obama "Deporter in Chief "because more illegal immigrants have been deported during the Obama administration than under any previous president.

About 396,000 immigrants per year have been deported since 2009, compared to about 252,000 deportations a year under Bush.

Obama does have concern for the pain his deportation policy is causing to families and poor and has asked for a review of the broken immigration system. The republicans block the reform.

Edited by Buzzz

In Oz, nationality is not determined by geography of your birthplace, but by the nationality of your parents. This is news to most illegal immigrants who think we follow the US model, and quite a disappointment when they find their new-born is also an illegal immigrant. It still seems that every female arrivee of child-bearing age is knocked up on arrival or soon after. Even in the male-only detention centres, they are busy hoping for a miracle. The bleeding hearts claim that we shouldn't lock up children, so, of course, their parents have to be released too. But still nowhere near the legal and constitutional complications of mixed nationality families.

Perhaps the US should consider a change in concept to one less open to exploitation, and without all the amendments needed for military bases, embassies and the like.

In fact the Court ruling, because it was a tie vote, decided nothing. It let stand the Fifth Circuit's prior decision, but when Hillary takes office in January the government will file a rehearing since the Court failed to decide the issue. Or maybe after a new, liberal justice is confirmed. In the meantime, few of the undocumented aliens with children who are US citizens will actually be deported, because funding for deportation proceedings has been reduced.

The right wing, inhabiting as they do a fantasy world, will have to come to terms eventually with the fact that 11 million undocumented aliens are not ever going to be deported. Nor are the 4 million with US children. Somehow the Republic will manage to carry on.