UK pound plunges as referendum results point to EU exit

webfact

No-one has discussed the effect of Brexit on the Euro! The Euro is down even more than the Pound. They both lost value after the vote, but the Pound is down about 8% and the Euro is down about 10%!

The stupidest message of the day, you are definitely Champion.

Everyone can view on favorite site for parity consteter how your claims are wrong data.
If supporters of Brexit are a reflection of your speech, we better understand the true nature of this suicidal vote.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And many people on here are trying to play up the devaluation of the GBP as a plus.... but the fact is that history has often pointed out that you cannot devalue your way to prosperity.... in fact often it is a race to the bottom caused by economic problems. Sometimes these economic problems leave countries no option to devalue their currencies...

Why does devaluation not work well? Often because things that "could be helped" by devaluation such as manufacturing are dependent on external trade itself which means most of the inputs prices get inflated due to a weak currency, the cost of living goes up as imports of basics rise ... oil & food .... which then trickles through the economy and workers get upset because their wages are not keeping up and labour unrest disrupts the economy and inflation rises.... eventually forcing interest rates to rise to stop the fall in the currency and keep inflation in check. If left too long the medicine becomes incredibly expensive and hurts etc. etc. etc. What is needed is really currency stability.

History shows you cannot devalue your way to prosperity because countries that try this do so by printing/issuing more money, so causing high inflation. However, the point you seem to be missing is that the UK is not trying to devalue its way to prosperity so there won't be an accompanying rise in the money supply as far as this particular devaluation is concerned. A lot of amateur economists on this board.

Actually, high inflation is one way countries do get out of depression. For example,thanks to WW2 there was a lot of inflation in the USA and people who were being held back because they were deeply in debt easily paid their way out of it. Not good in the short run for banks and such, but the ensuing economic prosperity was. And issuing money in itself does not cause high inflation.

Nonsense. A country in depression would be experiencing debt deflation, not inflation.

But a country getting out of it would not. WW2 got America out of the Depression. Lots of deficit spending and lots of inflation. And they were both good things.

Thailand's requirement for a foreigner to retire here is only Thb 65,000 per month. For a retiree from the UK planning to live here, 6,000 miles from Blighty, if their finances cannot survive a 10-15% fluctuation of income, one has to question if they made the right choice in the first instance.

a rather unfair comment because a British retiree drawing a pension or social security of £1,000.- might have chosen to live in Thailand when £1k bought THB 75,000 (~10 years ago) but faces now a loss of 37%

besides, the requirement THB 65k/month is not mandatory because the option THB 800k bank balance in lieu of minimum income is available.

A British retiree who started living here 10 years ago would have seen (and felt) the direction the currency was headed and would have (or should have) made contingency plans

Furthermore, to have made irreversible plans solely on the basis of a pension income is foolish, to say the least.

For those that took the second option of having Thb 800k in the bank, presumably they would have a source of income for day to day living as well. If this happens to be the British pension, then a 10% reduction is easy to deal with - just cut back on some items.

A British retiree who started living here 10 years ago would have seen (and felt) the direction the currency was headed and would have (or should have) made contingency plans

Furthermore, to have made irreversible plans solely on the basis of a pension income is foolish, to say the least.

For those that took the second option of having Thb 800k in the bank, presumably they would have a source of income for day to day living as well. If this happens to be the British pension, then a 10% reduction is easy to deal with - just cut back on some items.

tell me oh learned guru what direction of GBP/THB you would have felt during the last 7 years whistling.gif

post-35218-0-68827000-1467038379_thumb.p

In a couple of days when they realise the sky isn't falling

well it is 3 days and the sky isnt falling but the pound still is

wanna have another guess? ;-)

Barclay, RBS, Easy jet all sunk 30% today. At which point you concider the sky is falling?

No, not 30% just on today but the financials getting hammered again. FTSE resistance at 6000 looks to be having a little trouble. Cable right near the 1.32 mark.

No need to worry here.

The commercial banks get the money from the central banks to almost zero cost.

The business banks simply do not earn money, they are losing.

Money is there, just no one wants to have it and to pay for it a lot of interest, except the private sector buys then on credit cars, homes and wardrobes.

Yields of international companies are narrow, Also to invest in apartment buildings is becoming increasingly difficult, as prices for land has risen like a rocket in major cities.

Interest on savings, capital life insurance and retirement products are 0,0XX.

The variety of all European countries (UK included) are in debt up to its neck.

If the interest rate should rise again, the state budgets had to pay huge sums on interest.

Much capital flows into the equity markets.

With an Brexit, the narrow yields of international companies are at risk and the shares are falling.

Beside the commercial banks with enough liquidity then, leverage with all imaginable financial products to get some yield.

And then we went in exchange rates, which makes the hinge to other economies.

Sorry , had to cut for quote.

tell me oh learned guru what direction of GBP/THB you would have felt during the last 7 years whistling.gif

attachicon.gifGBPTHB.png

Haha. And I thought you were the self proclaimed financial guru of TV?

Let's say 10 ago, the pound was trading at Thb 75 as you said (I have no idea nor could I care less what the actual rate was then). By 2010, this was down to Thb 56 (as per your chart) - lower than the threshold for a visa based on retirement for somewhere drawing a 1,000 pound pension. So if they were obviously depending solely upon their pension income, they would have become ineligible for continued stay in the Kingdom.

Over the following 2-3 years, the situation got worse.

So in answer to your question, it would have been obvious to all (except you I guess) which direction the pound was heading.

Having said that, it was rather ingenious of you to produce a chart showing the exchange rates since 2010 in your desperate bid to support your failed argument. You might be able to fool your barstool companions but some of us do have some financial acumen.

XE.com - GBP_THB Chart.html

Andy Borowitz, satirist at the New Yorker, has new piece, "British Lose Right to Claim that Americans are Dumber."

Across the United Kingdom on Friday, Britons mourned their long-cherished right to claim that Americans were significantly dumber than they are.

Luxuriating in the superiority of their intellect over Americans’ has long been a favorite pastime in Britain, surpassing in popularity such games as cricket, darts, and snooker.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/british-lose-right-to-claim-that-americans-are-dumber?intcid=mod-most-popular

Barclay, RBS, Easy jet all sunk 30% today. At which point you concider the sky is falling?

No, not 30% just on today but the financials getting hammered again. FTSE resistance at 6000 looks to be having a little trouble. Cable right near the 1.32 mark.

No need to worry here.

Money is there, just no one wants to have it and to pay for it a lot of interest, except the private sector buys then on credit cars, homes and wardrobes.

Yields of international companies are narrow, Also to invest in apartment buildings is becoming increasingly difficult, as prices for land has risen like a rocket in major cities.

If the interest rate should rise again, the state budgets had to pay huge sums on interest.

With an Brexit, the narrow yields of international companies are at risk and the shares are falling.

Beside the commercial banks with enough liquidity then, leverage with all imaginable financial products to get some yield.

I wish people would just make a contribution rather than cutting and pasting meaningless twaddle which contribute nothing to the discussion. The point about what is happening to stocks and sterling is that sterling assets and income are getting hammered as far as actual and potential retirees to Thailand are concerned. See if you can address that rather than the usual snip, snip here, snip snip there.

I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but how much is the weekly UK pension? Is this a fixed amount regardless of contributions over the years or does it depend on how much has been contributed over the years?

No need to worry here.

I wish people would just make a contribution rather than cutting and pasting meaningless twaddle which contribute nothing to the discussion. The point about what is happening to stocks and sterling is that sterling assets and income are getting hammered as far as actual and potential retirees to Thailand are concerned. See if you can address that rather than the usual snip, snip here, snip snip there.

This was in context with my post 178.

No reason to be nasty here.

Andy Borowitz, satirist at the New Yorker, has new piece, "British Lose Right to Claim that Americans are Dumber."

Across the United Kingdom on Friday, Britons mourned their long-cherished right to claim that Americans were significantly dumber than they are.

Luxuriating in the superiority of their intellect over Americans has long been a favorite pastime in Britain, surpassing in popularity such games as cricket, darts, and snooker.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/british-lose-right-to-claim-that-americans-are-dumber?intcid=mod-most-popular

Sterling down further in Asian markets Monday morning. The expat guys here seemingly happy with sterling's drop (assuming that they aren't the usual resentful crowd who have already been forced back home) apparently a couple of planks short of a full floorboard. Are they all from Sunderland? (who we can only hope are relegated next season)

Sterling's fall is what it is. There's no point in being emotional about it. Not all of us British expats receive all of our income in GBP and not all of us are stuck on a fixed pension. Some of us can actually take measures to cope with the devaluation and those who can't may be well able to cope with a fall in income without being 'forced back home' as you put it. I'm not happy with it but I'm not devastated either. I see some posters moaning about British expats for 'whining' about the result and others moaning about British expats who aren't whining about the result. Seems like some people just want to take the opportunity to have a pop at the British whenever they can - a regrettable attitude really. I'm not living on the breadline so a 10-12% drop in my income wouldn't cause me any financial distress anyway, even if you wish it would - sorry to disappoint.

Of course not all do, but most do (have incomes based in sterling that is) and as for the 10-12% drop in sterling, well Hello Boys! bah.gif Now throw in the rout in the FTSE and those who are approaching retirement with investment pensions are going to get royally stuffed. I at least don't confuse my own position with others' or the general situation. And how many times do I have to point out to Brexit guys who seem to have a poor grasp of maths that it doesn't matter whether your pension is indexed (against inflation?) it isn't indexed against currency moves. So there we have it, a brilliant contribution above calling sterling's awful (Brexit caused) drop 'is what it is'. The dead cat blandness of response is staggering.

You're still assuming that most British expats are so short of money that they will be seriously troubled by a dip in sterling's value. I was merely pointing out that many British expats, retired or otherwise, are not living on such a tight budget that a devaluation like this will send them running for the hills, and that being happy or unhappy about it will change nothing. My response may have been bland to you but your apparently gleeful enjoyment of others misfortunes is disgusting to me and frankly, I'd much rather be bland than disgusting.

As an aside, I would challenge your assertion that most British expats in Thailand have incomes in GBP. Most retired expats maybe but certainly not most expats.

Edited by Mark123456

Sterling down further in Asian markets Monday morning. The expat guys here seemingly happy with sterling's drop (assuming that they aren't the usual resentful crowd who have already been forced back home) apparently a couple of planks short of a full floorboard. Are they all from Sunderland? (who we can only hope are relegated next season)

Sterling's fall is what it is. There's no point in being emotional about it. Not all of us British expats receive all of our income in GBP and not all of us are stuck on a fixed pension. Some of us can actually take measures to cope with the devaluation and those who can't may be well able to cope with a fall in income without being 'forced back home' as you put it. I'm not happy with it but I'm not devastated either. I see some posters moaning about British expats for 'whining' about the result and others moaning about British expats who aren't whining about the result. Seems like some people just want to take the opportunity to have a pop at the British whenever they can - a regrettable attitude really. I'm not living on the breadline so a 10-12% drop in my income wouldn't cause me any financial distress anyway, even if you wish it would - sorry to disappoint.

Of course not all do, but most do (have incomes based in sterling that is) and as for the 10-12% drop in sterling, well Hello Boys! bah.gif Now throw in the rout in the FTSE and those who are approaching retirement with investment pensions are going to get royally stuffed. I at least don't confuse my own position with others' or the general situation. And how many times do I have to point out to Brexit guys who seem to have a poor grasp of maths that it doesn't matter whether your pension is indexed (against inflation?) it isn't indexed against currency moves. So there we have it, a brilliant contribution above calling sterling's awful (Brexit caused) drop 'is what it is'. The dead cat blandness of response is staggering.

You're still assuming that most British expats are so short of money that they will be seriously troubled by a dip in sterling's value. I was merely pointing out that many British expats, retired or otherwise, are not living on such a tight budget that a devaluation like this will send them running for the hills, and that being happy or unhappy about it will change nothing. My response may have been bland to you but your apparently gleeful enjoyment of others misfortunes is disgusting to me and frankly, I'd much rather be bland than disgusting.

As an aside, I would challenge your assertion that most British expats in Thailand have incomes in GBP. Most retired expats maybe but certainly not most expats.

Sheung Wan is a suburb in Hong Kong, west of Central. When I was living there back in the early 90's, it was the last station on the Central MRT line.

From the way the poster SheungWan writes, I presume he used to live (or could still be living) there and was probably a trader of some sort. If so, he would probably deduce that I also lived in Hkg for some time based on my username.

This reminds me of a joke that some expats in Hkg used to throw around; what's the definition of FILTH? Failed In London, try Hong Kong.

Mind you, the top traders in Hong Kong in those days would have been living in Mid Levels at the very least.

Sheung Wan is a suburb in Hong Kong, west of Central. When I was living there back in the early 90's, it was the last station on the Central MRT line.

From the way the poster SheungWan writes, I presume he used to live (or could still be living) there and was probably a trader of some sort. If so, he would probably deduce that I also lived in Hkg for some time based on my username.

This reminds me of a joke that some expats in Hkg used to throw around; what's the definition of FILTH? Failed In London, try Hong Kong.

Mind you, the top traders in Hong Kong in those days would have been living in Mid Levels at the very least.

Greetings Gweiloman from Sunny HK. You were out here in a time I would have liked to have been. Moved some assets out here years ago when sterling was strong (over 15HKD) Now sterling is under 10.5. Returning to London later this week to inspect the financial carnage. I need both places but after this last week I wonder........

Ignore these indicators, all a symptom of speculation and market uncertainties. Just have a cup of tea, it will all be OK.

In a couple of days when they realise the sky isn't falling

Now now hag's, don't be like that. I know these are difficult times, I'm being pinched as well and I'm not even one of the daft pommies that started this rukkas. Talk about stooopidity, half didn't even seem to understand what they were voting for.

Now uv got 2 choice, drop ur stocks or hold.

I still think the sky's not falling & it's a very fluid situation......& my crystal ball is as good as the next guys.

Clearly markets are on PSP at the moment, who knows where the ride will end but the sky's not falling though, is it

:D

Greetings Gweiloman from Sunny HK. You were out here in a time I would have liked to have been. Moved some assets out here years ago when sterling was strong (over 15HKD) Now sterling is under 10.5. Returning to London later this week to inspect the financial carnage. I need both places but after this last week I wonder........

I moved out some assets on 23 June itself before polling closed for the day (got a rate of HKD 11.36 or thereabouts). At least this will go some way towards offsetting some of the (paper) losses for those assets left behind.

Wonder what the longer term prognosis for the pound sterling would be.

^^What pension? I'm 41. Still working.

You don't look a day over 73.

They've been hard years lol

Upyerbum! tongue.png

Oi, I still think ur a Hansum man......5555

Now that's proper BS!

Bit like the brexit.

What a load of #%}^{+%^}#

See S&P have cut UK credit rating and taken away our AAA putting us at AA with negative outlook so a lot further to go yet I think.

Decent leaders of the U.K. would have looked at all this before the referendum and set up some models for the community to examine before they vote. Explain it to voters before they vote on something they don't really understand.

Now we have people resigning and headless chooks running around with not a clue on which way is up or down.

Seriously, that AA is looking really shaky. Nobody has their ha d on the pulse, useless, hopeless and outright criminal IMO.

This whole process has been as stupid as the rush into Iraq and Afghanistan looking for weapons of mass destruction.

Surely this has to be a terrorist attack in the financial status of the U.K. & EU.

Talk about a group of buffoons letting the team down.

It's al Ost farcical. I'm gonna get some more popcorn, this is getting interesting.

There's gonna be civil unrest of the greatest proportions unless someone with a set of testicals steps up and takes the reins. I would do the job, but I'd have to be paid in gold bullion, not sure I want to touch the British paeso at this time.

Hold on folks, this BDSM session has only just begun. There's no way off this ride, brace yourself.

Thailand's requirement for a foreigner to retire here is only Thb 65,000 per month. For a retiree from the UK planning to live here, 6,000 miles from Blighty, if their finances cannot survive a 10-15% fluctuation of income, one has to question if they made the right choice in the first instance.

a rather unfair comment because a British retiree drawing a pension or social security of £1,000.- might have chosen to live in Thailand when £1k bought THB 75,000 (~10 years ago) but faces now a loss of 37%

besides, the requirement THB 65k/month is not mandatory because the option THB 800k bank balance in lieu of minimum income is available.

LOL there are large numbers of British retirees who moved here 10 years who struggled to find their way to the airport, and one suspects their priorities had nothing to do with planning contingencies for forex movements... Edited by Bunnychow

I moved out some assets on 23 June itself before polling closed for the day (got a rate of HKD 11.36 or thereabouts). At least this will go some way towards offsetting some of the (paper) losses for those assets left behind.

Wonder what the longer term prognosis for the pound sterling would be.

The GBP will bounce back to record highs against the other major currencies when the Euro tanks on the collaspe of the EU "dream"

There are plenty of posts stating the benefits of Brexit; no unelected foreign government dictating laws, border control, etc.

What are the benefits of remaining in the EU?

Why are Switzerland and Norway successful at maintaining their own culture, sovereignty, and economy?

I do not understand the benefits of a centralized European government that is not elected and therefore not accountable to the people?

All the British pensioners can simply move back, and not have to worry about the exchange rate.

Get your NHS entitlement back and your state pension increases at the same time.

Your wife can work, instead of leeching off you, and your children can attend a proper school.

No need to worry about all those 'lazy Thai men' either.

Looks like win win to me.

10 - 15%? I wish! When I moved here, the rate was in the mid 70's, which I felt at the time was unsustainable and based my calculations on what was, at the time, a more realistic rate of 65 - £. The current fluctuation is closer to 30%. Lose - lose to me. If I had to move back, my wife would have to improve her English substantially - it would also cost me several thousand £'s to enable her to live in the UK permanently. Also, I wonder how many farangs living here have an income in excess of £22,000 (£24,000?) so that they could actually take their wife and children to the UK to live?

Alan

If I had to move back, my wife would have to improve her English substantially - it would also cost me several thousand £'s to enable her to live in the UK permanently. Also, I wonder how many farangs living here have an income in excess of £22,000 (£24,000?) so that they could actually take their wife and children to the UK to live?

Alan

I believe the requirement is 18,600gbp income or 62,000gbp in the bank for a foreign spouse.

32k in the bank + a part time shelf stacking job in Homebase/B&Q/Wickes should do it.

40k in the bank + state pension if you're older.

Hardly an impossible target, and your children are already British citizens, they're entitled already.

Edited by MissAndry