Cancelling work permit and getting retirement extension

I am working in Bangkok, will resign on June 30th and plan to retire in Thailand after that. I was told by immigration that I must cancel my work permit before applying for an extension based on retirement (all my other documents were in order, including a letter from my employer stating I was finishing work on 30 JUne).). I currently am on Non B extension.

Will cancelling my WP automatically cancel my extension as well? I'm told I have to cancel my WP at Chamchuri Sq. Does this mean I would have to cancel it in the morning and then make my way to CW on the same day to apply for the retirement extension? Has anybody actually done this?

Some say you can get 7 days grace period. Others say, no, you have to apply for a 7-day extension. If so, can that be done at Chamchuri? And can I apply for an extension based on retirement during those 7 days?

Any first-hand accounts of people who have done this in Bangkok would be most useful. (I will definitely post my experience when it is all over.)

I was at the Ministry of Labor today and attempted to cancel my work permit. I told them I was leaving on a Sunday night bus to Mukdahan and would exit Thailand Monday morning. They gave me 2 options: 1: cancel work permit today and immediately be technically on overstay or 2: leave country, get new Visa and re-enter. Then I can come and cancel work permit to clean up the record.

They absolutely refused to post date my cancellation until Monday. They said they will only cancel it the day you are there, putting you on overstay if you cannot leave the country immediately (that day). Absurd policies.

You can go to the one stop center a few days before your termination date shown on a letter from your employer. They will post date the cancellation of your extension to that date. Then you have time to do your extension based upon retirement prior to that date.

I was at the Ministry of Labor today and attempted to cancel my work permit. I told them I was leaving on a Sunday night bus to Mukdahan and would exit Thailand Monday morning. They gave me 2 options: 1: cancel work permit today and immediately be technically on overstay or 2: leave country, get new Visa and re-enter. Then I can come and cancel work permit to clean up the record.

They absolutely refused to post date my cancellation until Monday. They said they will only cancel it the day you are there, putting you on overstay if you cannot leave the country immediately (that day). Absurd policies.

Canceling your work permit does not automatically cancel your extension of stay. Nobody notifies immigration when your work permit is canceled.

Without having a termination letter from your employer you may not be allowed to depart the country at Mukdahan.

Canceling your work permit does not automatically cancel your extension of stay. Nobody notifies immigration when your work permit is canceled.

Without having a termination letter from your employer you may not be allowed to depart the country at Mukdahan.

My extension of stay ends July 1st. I don't know why someone at MOL would inform me of this otherwise.

My extension of stay ends July 1st. I don't know why someone at MOL would inform me of this otherwise.

You wrote technically and that is exactly what it is. Whoever told you that at the MOL may not be aware of immigration's requirements.

You can go to the one stop center a few days before your termination date shown on a letter from your employer. They will post date the cancellation of your extension to that date. Then you have time to do your extension based upon retirement prior to that date.

Thanks ubonjoe. That'll work fine.

My Colleague transferred out of Thailand a few months ago, work permit handed in and canceled as per process,

Returned last week for short holiday, preparing to follow tourist visa process, when Imigration pointed out. His visa taken out with work permit is still valid for another month.

It would appear when work multiple entry visa will remain valid until expiry date. Seems strange that the WP & WV are not both canceled at the same time.

Exited at Mukdahan without termination letter from employer. No issues. No questions.

Exited at Mukdahan without termination letter from employer. No issues. No questions.

Did you end up canceling the work permit in the end or did you just exit at mukdahan without canceling extension & work permit and without having a termination letter?

Did you end up canceling the work permit in the end or did you just exit at mukdahan without canceling extension & work permit and without having a termination letter?

Since they would not post date my cancellation I did not cancel ...will do this Friday. I exited Mukdahan without any termination letter. It was not an issue, stamped right thru.

Since they would not post date my cancellation I did not cancel ...will do this Friday. I exited Mukdahan without any termination letter. It was not an issue, stamped right thru.

Did you go to laos to get new visa like multiple entry?

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed quoting error by removing the excess and uneeded quotes only 4 are allowed

Did you go to laos to get new visa like multiple entry?

I received a new single entry Non-Immigrant B Visa for my new job.