SURVEY: What affect will Brexit have on Europe and the EU?

Scott

SURVEY: What affect will Brexit have on Europe and the EU?  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you focus on vote leave lies and not vote remain lies ?

Has the world broke into war yet.

Anyway, I was not talking about vote leaves lies. I was talking about chaing mai's lies on the many, many TV posters who were sold on 350 million a week going to the NHS.

How sad that you cannot make that distinction.

Because it is a moot point.... whether you lose a referendum by 4% or 20% because of "lies" their is absolutely no differrence in the outcome. It only becomes a relevant point if the Remain side wins, at which point the Leave lies would be a moot point.

If leaving the EU is really this bad, why would any nation ever want to join?

..If burning down a bridge while drunk is really so bad, why would anyone ever want to build a bridge?..

But what is done, is done. Now the bridge is in ashes and the people in different parts of the river are going to mind their own businesses.

Brexit day was a shock for all of us. However we'll all get over with it and start to strengthen our own communities the best way we see fit.

We'll still be sending boats across the water in the future.

Now it's time to start negotiating what those boats can carry, what kind of schedule those are following as well as what is the price of the ticket.

..If burning down a bridge while drunk is really so bad, why would anyone ever want to build a bridge?..

But what is done, is done. Now the bridge is in ashes and the people in different parts of the river are going to mind their own businesses.

Brexit day was a shock for all of us. However we'll all get over with it and start to strengthen our own communities the best way we see fit.

Now it's time to start negotiating what those boats can carry, what kind of schedule those are following as well as what is the price of the ticket.

I';m all for a bit of metaphor. Just don't quite get it!

Edited by mommysboy

Some people hope that the Brexit makes the populist, right and left-wingers, stronger - the ones who wish to break the European Union. I see quite the opposite to happen.

The vote was a wakeup call for the moderate people, who have done their duties, living in their ordinary lives, not to be too much bothered what the wingers have been doing. The moderates thought it would not matter as those who have extreme opinions are a minority. After all, we all wish to live a happy life, without being bothered about the politics.

Now, when the UK shoot itself in to it's own feet, it's clear that time to be just a sleepy voter is over. We can't allow the future politics and elections to be determined by the wingers. It's time to be active and thus prevent something like this to happen in other parts of the EU.

UK will probably be made as an example of a bad decision. It will be bad news for all the good folks in the UK who managed to see the bigger picture in advance and voted to remain in the EU. I'm sorry for them.

It's time for the lazy moderate voters to get involved with the politics and time to speak out loud, instead of just listening/ignoring what the nutters on both sides are yelling.

It's time to demand for all to present and debug the facts as well as realistic plans, before any important vote or referendum happens. It's time to ask the real questions and not let the populist play the feeling card.

A good lesson to learn for the EU members.

Some people hope that the Brexit makes the populist, right and left-wingers, stronger - the ones who wish to break the European Union. I see quite the opposite to happen.

The vote was a wakeup call for the moderate people, who have done their duties, living in their ordinary lives, not to be too much bothered what the wingers have been doing. The moderates thought it would not matter as those who have extreme opinions are a minority. After all, we all wish to live a happy life, without being bothered about the politics.

Now, when the UK shoot itself in to it's own feet, it's clear that time to be just a sleepy voter is over. We can't allow the future politics and elections to be determined by the wingers. It's time to be active and thus prevent something like this to happen in other parts of the EU.

UK will probably be made as an example of a bad decision. It will be bad news for all the good folks in the UK who managed to see the bigger picture in advance and voted to remain in the EU. I'm sorry for them.

It's time for the lazy moderate voters to get involved with the politics and time to speak out loud, instead of just listening/ignoring what the nutters on both sides are yelling.

It's time to demand for all to present and debug the facts as well as realistic plans, before any important vote or referendum happens. It's time to ask the real questions and not let the populist play the feeling card.

You are only seeing things from your perspective. I might agree with you incidentally.

Some on the other hand, see it as a great result, and have no regard for EU. Obviously we can say it is about 50/50 in UK and around that in most areas of Europe.

You have also assumed it is in some way a doomsday scenario for UK to leave EU. But many countries in the world are independent states. And as a big first world, mature economy UK should be at least no worse off than say Canada, or Australia. Why do you think the UK of all countries can't be the same, especially as it is not fully integrated in to EU.

What we are seeing at the moment is a determined effort to apply financial pressure on UK, and the market building in future pricing based on reduced growth. It happens from time to time to all countries.

I';m all for a bit of metaphor. Just don't quite get it!

- Brexit ended the current co-operation between UK and EU

- Life will go on, on both sides, the way we want

- We all were in shock and got angry, on both sides. The anger fades soon

- We'll find ways to co-operate toget in the future

- UK exit negotiations with EU will determine what kind of relationship will have in the future and what kind of deals both sides will get

You are only seeing things from your perspective. I might agree with you incidentally.

Some on the other hand, see it as a great result, and have no regard for EU. Obviously we can say it is about 50/50 in UK and around that in most areas of Europe.

You have also assumed it is in some way a doomsday scenario for UK to leave EU. But many countries in the world are independent states. And as a big first world, mature economy UK should be at least no worse off than say Canada, or Australia. Why do you think the UK of all countries can't be the same, especially as it is not fully integrated in to EU.

What we are seeing at the moment is a determined effort to apply financial pressure on UK, and the market building in future pricing based on reduced growth. It happens from time to time to all countries.

True, I mostly care what is good for us in the EU. However I'm sympathetic for my UK friends and other UK folks who would have rather stayed together, instead of getting a divorce.

Overall I think both sides share a huge amount of same DNA. Same values and same history. We are interconnected and have friends on both sides. These ties will not end, even if we are on the other sides of the table in the future. People are people, politics is a different entity.. for most of us anyway.

The Brexit is a mayhem for the first, but things tend to find their own path at the end of the day. It's not the end of UK, while it's likely to loose some global power as it's now acting alone.

It's also not the end of EU.

Hopefully the Brexit is the end of the wingers, who want to destroy instead of build. They don't know better. At least we moderates should start to act as responsible adults and take their matches away :)

True, I mostly care what is good for us in the EU. However I'm sympathetic for my UK friends and other UK folks who would have rather stayed together, instead of getting a divorce.

Overall I think both sides share a huge amount of same DNA. Same values and same history. We are interconnected and have friends on both sides. These ties will not end, even if we are on the other sides of the table in the future. People are people, politics is a different entity.. for most of us anyway.

The Brexit is a mayhem for the first, but things tend to find their own path at the end of the day. It's not the end of UK, while it's likely to loose some global power as it's now acting alone.

Hopefully the Brexit is the end of the wingers, who want to destroy instead of build. They don't know better. At least we moderates should start to act as responsible adults and take their matches away smile.png

For what it's worth, I really don't see Article 50 being enacted. No poitician wants to get near it. It's like falling on a hand grenade.

But one concern I have is that the EU could be in real trouble. There could be another debt crisis looming. EU seems to be developing plans for further political integration.

For what it's worth, I really don't see Article 50 being enacted. No poitician wants to get near it. It's like falling on a hand grenade.

But one concern I have is that the EU could be in real trouble. There could be another debt crisis looming. EU seems to be developing plans for further political integration.

I agree, there is a big chance that Article 50 is not pushed forward or it's delayed far too long.

At the moment it seems that the parties who wanted to Brexit, are doing their best not to take responsibilities of their action. If this continues and if UK still wishes to be part of the EU, UK might be required to do some drastic actions. Even if those are symbolic.

Something like the queen making a public apology for her boys not being too smart. That might be too far fetched, but it would send a very clear message not to let the populist to "Make people stupid again".

EU has it's problems, which definitely has to be addressed. Further political integration, like creating a common military and foreign policy, is not an problem, it's more of an opportunity for us.

Free movement of people. Ability to live and work anywhere.. those are the reasons why I'm moving back to Europe from Thailand. I really miss the freedom.

Also.....the euro was introduced 1st jan 1999...so 17 yrs old......Didn't Great Britain become 'great britain' before the euro!...

Why is everyone so scared of going back to what once worked-after 17 years look where we're at(i know there''s other factors)but still.....

And as for all this trade deal trade talk,in today's enviroment countries imo will revert back to what's best for them....new deals and so on...etc

I chose answer number one - it doesn't change much for the EU.

I'd be interested to know how many of the 76% that answered option #2 in this poll are British, American or Australian.

You folks largely overestimate Britain's importance.

First, halting the UK's contribution to EU's budget will only have limited consequences - Maggie Thatcher made sure of that, the UK contributes only marginally more than it receives in aids from the EU.

Second, UK always has been very good at criticizing, but I can't remember the last time I hard the words "British proposal" in connection with general EU matters, if ever.

Third, this is also London breaking off from Europe as a financial center, so London becomes offshore. This will greatly weaken London's current hegemony as a financial center and everyone can expect large EU lawsuits against London-based financial services companies for money laundering and tax evasion, which London is at the forefront of organizing.

Fourth, with UK leaving, the power of Germany and France in the EU grows further.

I'm sure there could be fifth and sixth, etc.

On the other hand, brexit also won't change much in the immediate future for citizens of either Britain and EU - I expect Britain to have a status similar to Switzerland's. Switzerland isn't member of the EU, but has several "bilateral agreements" among which Schengen and a FTA with exceptions. There are no controls at the borders and EU citizens can settle in Switzerland quite easily.

BTW, a recent referendum in Switzerland orders the government to withdraw Switzerland's official application to become a member of the EU...

Euro is a flawed concept from day 1.

Cannot have a monetary union without political and fiscal union.

Plus some countries are strong and low inflation while others are weak and much higher inflation.

What politician wants to give up his trough? They all have different characters and will never agree is a trillion years.

The euro will eventually fail at a horrific cost.

Absolutely, "You cannot have a monetary union without political and fiscal union."

"The Euro will eventually fail at a horrific cost."

At which point the union will unravel.

Personally I rather suspect that The Euro was always essentially a vanity project. I suspect that it was intended, if not announced, to challenge and possibly replace the US Dollar as the preeminent world currency.

Even the guy who's brainchild the Euro was said it was poorly implemented.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Hopefully the Brexit is the end of the wingers, who want to destroy instead of build. They don't know better. At least we moderates should start to act as responsible adults and take their matches away smile.png

Short message from Jim Mellon . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuOIjK86c4o

Just so you know, here in Blighty no one really gives a monkeys.

Here in the jungle I'll be watching Braindead. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4877736/

Simply hilarious tv-series, which future generations will probably look as an documentary of this era.

I knew we were in trouble, when in the last few years before I left UK.13 years ago The main topic of conversion was "Did you see Big Brother last night?"

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Short message from Jim Mellon . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuOIjK86c4o

I don't put much stock in economists.... they are more like a broken clock than scientists.... in that they can be right twice a day but are it does not mean much in the end. They then take those two right times and like a politician can spin that as if they actually knew what was going on.

Countries like Italy are not in problem because of the Euro, they are in trouble because of decades of mismanagement... which they try to spin as not their fault but of something issue - ducking responsibility.

If Europe did implode like he said and enters a depression, Britain is screwed regardless of being in or out.... being out just means they start screwing themselves up 5 years earlier. It is like Canada and the US. The US has been completely mismanaging their own affairs running up a massive debt, while Canada had been working it's way towards a balanced budget. The thing is that if the US falls off a cliff, Canada being fiscally prudent means nothing... we are screwed anyways.

^^I'd sooner be independently screwed than tied into the EU "plan". I find their insidious erosion of nation states towards what looks very much like a Soviet style dictatorship deeply disturbing.

Yes, I agree though that 2008 was fudged to put off the pain a while longer. Proper old exercise in can kicking if ever there was one.

Edited by MJP

^^I'd sooner be independently screwed than tied into the EU "plan". I find their insidious erosion of nation states towards what looks very much like a Soviet style dictatorship deeply disturbing.

Yes, I agree though that 2008 was fudged to put off the pain a while longer. Proper old exercise in can kicking if ever there was one.

"I'd sooner be independently screwed than tied into the EU "plan".

Your wish has been granted.

I agree, there is a big chance that Article 50 is not pushed forward or it's delayed far too long.

At the moment it seems that the parties who wanted to Brexit, are doing their best not to take responsibilities of their action. If this continues and if UK still wishes to be part of the EU, UK might be required to do some drastic actions. Even if those are symbolic.

Something like the queen making a public apology for her boys not being too smart. That might be too far fetched, but it would send a very clear message not to let the populist to "Make people stupid again".

EU has it's problems, which definitely has to be addressed. Further political integration, like creating a common military and foreign policy, is not an problem, it's more of an opportunity for us.

Free movement of people. Ability to live and work anywhere.. those are the reasons why I'm moving back to Europe from Thailand. I really miss the freedom.

This gets back to what I was saying. Although proportions vary from state to state, half agree with you, but half don't.

There is also the suggestion that EU has another debt crisis looming.

Yes. Its all hilarious in the eurozone too

Together with existing schemes to buy private debt and funnel hundreds of billions of euros in cheap loans to banks, the new quantitative easing program will release 60 billion euros ($68 billion) a month into the economy, ECB President Mario Draghi said.

By September next year, more than 1 trillion euros will have been created under quantitative easing, the ECB's last remaining major policy option for reviving economic growth and warding off deflation.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ecb-policy-idUSKBN0KU2ST20150122

Mind the crash

We're three months into that program, and the results at the half way point are exhilarating are they not, no, they're far from.

Reading problems changers ?

The article clearly states that the QE program of euro 60 Billion a month is due to finish in September 2016, not 3 months into the program.

The program is clearly not working, couple that with the suppressed EU financial report of Spain and Italy and the further bail out that Greece needs in August to pay it's loan repayments it looks like the euro goose is well and truly cooked and all they are doing is kicking the inevitable further down the road.

Mind the crash, it is going to be loud and messy.

"I'd sooner be independently screwed than tied into the EU "plan".

Your wish has been granted.

Whilst I prefered to remain, I do think you are being a bit bleak. Doesn't your stance also assume life within EU is a rose garden?

Together with existing schemes to buy private debt and funnel hundreds of billions of euros in cheap loans to banks, the new quantitative easing program will release 60 billion euros ($68 billion) a month into the economy, ECB President Mario Draghi said.

By September next year, more than 1 trillion euros will have been created under quantitative easing, the ECB's last remaining major policy option for reviving economic growth and warding off deflation.

Mind the crash

We're three months into that program, and the results at the half way point are exhilarating are they not, no, they're far from.

The article clearly states that the QE program of euro 60 Billion a month is due to finish in September 2016, not 3 months into the program.

The program is clearly not working, couple that with the suppressed EU financial report of Spain and Italy and the further bail out that Greece needs in August to pay it's loan repayments it looks like the euro goose is well and truly cooked and all they are doing is kicking the inevitable further down the road.

Yes, here we go again. That will send markets tumbling globally.

Mind the crash

Are you totally unable to read and understand what I wrote or do you not understand maths at any level, 3 months is the halfway point of a six month program!!!!!!