Balconies ?

Ok we see it so much in the news about falling off balconies and whether it's a suicide a murder or bad workmanship .

It strikes me that this phenomenon is nearly a monthly occurrence in Thailand and I'm not sure about the figures from other countries but why so many?

I have stayed at hotels where I thought the height wasn't up to standard and if I had few I might topple over.

Just asking your thoughts.

Railings are low here, for the height of a Thai sized person.....

Below hip height for many....Their hand bridges are the same.....

Many have a habit of clutching/leaning on the railing at heights as an unconscious support....

Big mistake here......

Some of these guys bring it on themselves. They get involved with moving drugs or do something disturbing like have sex with a minor. Or they make false promises to a shady girl. This is the kind of stuff that can get people looking for you.

Edited by eldragon

While I agree that some balcony railings are low, the percentage that fall over by true accident I suspect is very low. Most are self induced whether it be suicide, drug or alcohol related or the slight "nudge" from the GF. More interesting, it seems like the majority of them happen in Pattaya and to men over 50. They can't all be clumsy or 6'5

As for railings being built to "Thai size" per Pgramm's note, Thai's are not all that short, thin maybe, but not short. Many of them are average size like foreigners. You do not hear about tall Thais going over the railings. Just a point to consider.

While I agree that some balcony railings are low, the percentage that fall over by true accident I suspect is very low. Most are self induced whether it be suicide, drug or alcohol related or the slight "nudge" from the GF. More interesting, it seems like the majority of them happen in Pattaya and to men over 50. They can't all be clumsy or 6'5

As for railings being built to "Thai size" per Pgramm's note, Thai's are not all that short, thin maybe, but not short. Many of them are average size like foreigners. You do not hear about tall Thais going over the railings. Just a point to consider.

Average male Brit or American - 5' 10"

Average male Thai - 5' 7"

Well if 3" is the deal breaker then that's a problem No? Still do not hear of Thai's going over railings, just foreigners.

I think it has very little to do with railings at all, IMHO. When I used to read about them some years back it was always the same. "Foreigner falls to death" Next line had specifics and 90% of the time it was a 50 to 60 year old foreigner man falls to death. Didn't matter what country. Japan, Aus, US, Germany, Russia...... Conditions of room was either A) They found numerous open empty bottles of Alcohol, B ) Same empty bottles with drugs, C) A perfectly clean room and a suicide note.

I have been out on many balconies here in Thailand and never once felt like I was going to flip over. Of course I was sober and my mental state of mind was normal. Oh yeah I wasn't in Pattaya either. biggrin.png . Interesting side note. in all my years here I have never been to Pattaya, never plan on it either. I think all the balcony accidents makes me nervous. I do not want to be walking on the street and be hit by someone falling 20 stories for whatever reason.

Edited by JAFO

Well if 3" is the deal breaker then that's a problem No? Still do not hear of Thai's going over railings, just foreigners.

I think it has very little to do with railings at all, IMHO. When I used to read about them some years back it was always the same. "Foreigner falls to death" Next line had specifics and 90% of the time it was a 50 to 60 year old foreigner man falls to death. Didn't matter what country. Japan, Aus, US, Germany, Russia...... Conditions of room was either A) They found numerous open empty bottles of Alcohol, B ) Same empty bottles with drugs, C) A perfectly clean room and a suicide note.

I have been out on many balconies here in Thailand and never once felt like I was going to flip over. Of course I was sober and my mental state of mind was normal. Oh yeah I wasn't in Pattaya either. biggrin.png . Interesting side note. in all my years here I have never been to Pattaya, never plan on it either. I think all the balcony accidents makes me nervous. I do not want to be walking on the street and be hit by someone falling 20 stories for whatever reason.

Thats the problem with jumpers inconsiderate cynts never thinking about what or who they may hit on the way down.

Its not the balconies that make you wanna jump.. after 1 month of it drinking chang and getting your wallet taken out... some guys just cant handle it and jump.

Its reported this way so it must be true.

Can you provide a comparison study source for that posted statistic?