British expatriates fear for their future after UK vote

webfact

Merkel has called for calm reasoned and that the negotiations should not be particularly nasty (i.e. business like discussions on exit).... but she in no way inferred that the process should not be started immediately - just that the negotiations should follow their due process. The process should not be "indefinite".

You do realize that the majority of "big business" is held by things like pension funds, mutual funds etc. A lot of people seem to think they should be almost completely charitable and do things that make no business sense -- and let the pensioners starve to death.

You do realise that this currently happening in the UK whilst taxpayer funds are shovelled into the EU for the benefit of Big Business.

Yet you appear to be quite happy that taxpayer funds are used for the benefit of Big Business.

Joe Bloggs on the street does not care a jot about pension funds, mutual funds etc, when he struggles to make ends meet from week to week.

Where will Joe Bloggs retirement money come from? Yours and my tax?

Define retirement income ?

If you mean the state pension because they have not got a hope in hell of getting anything better, then yes, it will be OUR tax money that pays for this,

Guess we can thank retarded Politicians for that. Foresight is a great thing, pity they cannot see past getting re-elected 4 or 5 years down the line.

You mean the people getting State Pension didn't pay into it while they were working?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some advice from a very experienced veteran bureaucrat of what lies ahead and what the British people have to expect - And have to keep an eye on!

Despite the Vote, the Odds Are Against Britain Leaving the EU

The British people should not be so naive as to think that their vote settles the matter. The fight has only begun.

Remember, the Irish voted against the EU and pressure was kept on them until they reversed their vote. This is the likely fate of the British.

Know your opponents and their tools, and be aware of the weaknesses of your own representatives. Support and force them to respect and honour the people's decision: Leave the EU.

"Once you learn to think about how things really are and not as the presstitutes present them, you will be able to add to the list all by yourself."

I am not inferring or stating anything. I have pointed out that it appears that the leaving Country must invoke Article 50. It should also be noted that the result of the referendum must be passed in Parliament before Article 50 can be invoked.

Merkel has called for everyone to calm down and not rush into anything.

I think that she is perhaps looking for a way that both the EU and the UK can save face and step back from this exit. Whatever way it goes Germany will not want to lose its massive exports to the UK.

The main beneficiaries of EU membership is Big business, not your everyday layperson. The UK's annual EU contribution sticks in the craw of many whilst austerity measures are being implemented left right and centre.

As Big Business is the main beneficiary, why do Big Business not dip into their massive collective profits and pay this fee that benefits them and take the burden off the normal, everyday taxpayer.

After all £12 Billion is nothing to them.

Merkel has called for calm reasoned and that the negotiations should not be particularly nasty (i.e. business like discussions on exit).... but she in no way inferred that the process should not be started immediately - just that the negotiations should follow their due process. The process should not be "indefinite".

You do realize that the majority of "big business" is held by things like pension funds, mutual funds etc. A lot of people seem to think they should be almost completely charitable and do things that make no business sense -- and let the pensioners starve to death.

You do realise that this currently happening in the UK whilst taxpayer funds are shovelled into the EU for the benefit of Big Business.

Yet you appear to be quite happy that taxpayer funds are used for the benefit of Big Business.

Joe Bloggs on the street does not care a jot about pension funds, mutual funds etc, when he struggles to make ends meet from week to week.

If you mean the state pension because they have not got a hope in hell of getting anything better, then yes, it will be OUR tax money that pays for this,

Guess we can thank retarded Politicians for that. Foresight is a great thing, pity they cannot see past getting re-elected 4 or 5 years down the line.

And do you think politicians put the tax money under a bed? Not a big fan of the financial institutions, unfortunately a necessary evil. When are you going to post some facts? Where are Boris and Nigel? Lame duck Britain is all I can see.

"Where are Boris and Nigel" probably the same place as George Osbourne?

I am not inferring or stating anything. I have pointed out that it appears that the leaving Country must invoke Article 50. It should also be noted that the result of the referendum must be passed in Parliament before Article 50 can be invoked.

I think that she is perhaps looking for a way that both the EU and the UK can save face and step back from this exit. Whatever way it goes Germany will not want to lose its massive exports to the UK.

The main beneficiaries of EU membership is Big business, not your everyday layperson. The UK's annual EU contribution sticks in the craw of many whilst austerity measures are being implemented left right and centre.

As Big Business is the main beneficiary, why do Big Business not dip into their massive collective profits and pay this fee that benefits them and take the burden off the normal, everyday taxpayer.

And do you think politicians put the tax money under a bed? Not a big fan of the financial institutions, unfortunately a necessary evil. When are you going to post some facts? Where are Boris and Nigel? Lame duck Britain is all I can see.

"Where are Boris and Nigel" probably the same place as George Osbourne?

George lost, surely some guidance from Boris or Nigel can be expected? Talked the talk, best to walk the walk as well.

We can agree. Britain is a lame duck that is why I live here and not there.

I have posted plenty of facts, you should try reading them.

Where are Boris and Nigel, probably hiding in the same place as Gidiout. Hopefully hatching a plan to take the UK forward, however I have my doubts. Brains and Politicians do not sit easy with me.

Do not make the mistake of thinking that I give a ( ) about any UK Politician.

Some advice from a very experienced veteran bureaucrat of what lies ahead and what the British people have to expect - And have to keep an eye on!

The British people should not be so naive as to think that their vote settles the matter. The fight has only begun.

Remember, the Irish voted against the EU and pressure was kept on them until they reversed their vote. This is the likely fate of the British.

Know your opponents and their tools, and be aware of the weaknesses of your own representatives. Support and force them to respect and honour the people's decision: Leave the EU.

"Once you learn to think about how things really are and not as the presstitutes present them, you will be able to add to the list all by yourself."

First off, you're confused. Ireland repeatedly tried to join the EU but was rejected until 1973. 83.1% of the votes cast were in favor of joining the EU. What threats were invoked? What pressure applied? I would expect a very experienced bureaucrat to very carefully check his assertions before trying to pass them off as facts.

You mean the people getting State Pension didn't pay into it while they were working?

The above post highlights your lack of knowledge.

Might be best to carry out a bit of research and educate yourself on how the UK state pension actually works.

Switzerland and Norway are doing fine outside the EU...and for that matter, so are Canada, USA, Australia, and New Zealand.

Getting the Scotch and maybe the Irish out on their own will probably be a good thing too.

Five years from now, Britain will be a fount of innovation, cultural excitement, and THE place to be. Scotland will be even more dour, wet, cold, and depressing. And they'll be grumbling about being left in the EU while all the glamour and excitement lives in the UK.

Alanrchase.

The Gidiout has made an appearance.

Thank goodness we fixed the roof, while we could, Osborne said. Leaving the EU was not the outcome that I wanted or campaigned for, but now that democracy has spoken we must act on that result. I will fully respect that result.

The economy will have to adjust.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/jun/27/brexit-live-george-osborne-economy-corbyn-shadow-cabinet

I see that as a positive statement.

Much more reading at the link provided.

Switzerland and Norway are doing fine outside the EU...and for that matter, so are Canada, USA, Australia, and New Zealand.

Getting the Scotch and maybe the Irish out on their own will probably be a good thing too.

Five years from now, Britain will be a fount of innovation, cultural excitement, and THE place to be. Scotland will be even more dour, wet, cold, and depressing. And they'll be grumbling about being left in the EU while all the glamour and excitement lives in the UK.

Donald Trump disagrees. Sat down in Scotland and agreed leaving was right. How out of touch is he when Scots overwhelmingly voted to stay in? His golf course may be quids in.

Alanrchase.

Thank goodness we fixed the roof, while we could, Osborne said. Leaving the EU was not the outcome that I wanted or campaigned for, but now that democracy has spoken we must act on that result. I will fully respect that result.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/jun/27/brexit-live-george-osborne-economy-corbyn-shadow-cabinet

Don't get me wrong, I accept the result.

Alanrchase.

Don't get me wrong, I accept the result.

tongue.pngtongue.png

I was referring to Gidiout making an appearance.

How you deem the result is up 2 you thumbsup.gif

What will happen to all the European migrant workers in the UK?

As I understand the speeches, all will be returned.

The 750,000 polish plumbers first.

Wrong again, most of those from thr EU countries,if they have

Iived in the UK for 5yrs will be able to obtain UK citizenship,in fact I believe many are now doing exactly that.

Even those who have only been in the UK for 2 or 3yrs will also be able to go down this path, as the exit negotiations will take a year or two. After the exit negotiations are completed,our fellow Europeans will then be able to obtain a visa,that is of course if their occupation is felt desirable to the British economy.

Reading those stories of UK expats living in Europe make me wonder how many of them actually thought about "Brexit" and used their vote to keep the UK in Europe.

At the moment nobody knows for sure.I suspect that all those ex-pats living in the EU on the actual day of exit,will probably be allowed to stay,especially those British pensioners living in Spain,as they bring a great deal of money to the Spanish economy,and let's not forget that the unemployment rate in Spain is very high.

So there is no way the Spanish government would want to jeapordise this little earner.

Regarding those who may wish to work or retire to the EU after exit,I've no idea,perhaps someone has experiance pre-EU.

I am not a citizen of GB so no expert on this subject. What I can't understand (maybe someone could help) though is that through this entire process I did not I hear anyone outline a strategy and a plan that was going to lead GB to the glorious future, that some people have mentioned here, post EU membership. It seems that people were satisfied to make a major decision on the basis of "we will figure it out as we go along". The pro exit leaders now seem to be grabbing at straws looking for a collection of sound bites that resonate with voters. How does something so big happen without a detailed view of the future being in place?

How do you know when a politician is lying? His lips are moving. I appreciate "ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies". However, I hope the fine people of GB demand more of their leadership going forward as recent evidence suggests that these leaders are happy to lead you off the cliff without a net/plan. Hope you can find a leader who can shape a vision of the future you can all sign up for. Is that Boris ... I guess not based on his post vote brilliance. Anyway, best of luck and hope that glorious future is just around the corner.

I am not a citizen of GB so no expert on this subject. What I can't understand (maybe someone could help) though is that through this entire process I did not I hear anyone outline a strategy and a plan that was going to lead GB to the glorious future, that some people have mentioned here, post EU membership. It seems that people were satisfied to make a major decision on the basis of "we will figure it out as we go along". The pro exit leaders now seem to be grabbing at straws looking for a collection of sound bites that resonate with voters. How does something so big happen without a detailed view of the future being in place?

How do you know when a politician is lying? His lips are moving. I appreciate "ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies". However, I hope the fine people of GB demand more of their leadership going forward as recent evidence suggests that these leaders are happy to lead you off the cliff without a net/plan. Hope you can find a leader who can shape a vision of the future you can all sign up for. Is that Boris ... I guess not based on his post vote brilliance. Anyway, best of luck and hope that glorious future is just around the corner.

There is no Plan B. There clearly wasn't even a Plan A.

Brexit isn't the problem. It's the handling of Brexit that's calamitous so far.

There is no Plan B. There clearly wasn't even a Plan A.

Brexit isn't the problem. It's the handling of Brexit that's calamitous so far.

Quite. It would appear nobody thought 'Leave' would actually win. Least of all 'The Brexiters'.

Is my computer 'stuck'? The SCB TT exchange rate has been showing 46.9 for hours now.

The average is about 47.50 it depends who you use.

My usual is showing 47.97

Is that the TT rate? I ask because SCB shows a FAR higher rate for cash.

Not TT rate

https://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=GBP&To=THB

I am a British ex-pat living in Thailand.On the front of my British passport the words "European Union" are printed. Does this affect my stay in Thailand in any way or do things just stay the same?

First off, you're confused. Ireland repeatedly tried to join the EU but was rejected until 1973. 83.1% of the votes cast were in favor of joining the EU. What threats were invoked? What pressure applied? I would expect a very experienced bureaucrat to very carefully check his assertions before trying to pass them off as facts.

You make a valid point.

Though, I think PCR is either referring to more recent events like

- The Treaty of Nice, rejected in June 2001, approved in October 2002, or

- The Treaty of Lisbon, rejected in June 2008, approved in October 2009.

Maybe it would have been less confusing, had PCR referred to an even more recent event: The Greek bailout referendum, rejected in July 2015, but shortly afterwards the government accepted a bailout with even harsher conditions! Big mistake by the Greek people for not having immediately shot their ignorant government to the moon, IMHO. Now they are even more royally screwed and will soon need an additional bailout, losing their very last shirt!

All I can say, humbly and most respectfully: Britons, watch, listen, learn. And keep your government on a very short leash; Finally it's completely up to you, of course.

I am a British ex-pat living in Thailand.On the front of my British passport the words "European Union" are printed. Does this affect my stay in Thailand in any way or do things just stay the same?

Yes. It means you're stateless and you should report to your nearest immigration detention centre for "processing".

(Kidding, no don't worry, nothing changes for a long time yet).

It was also quite clear that the London-centric favouritism, in particular the finance industry did not sit well with the poorer regions of the UK. I am personally not convinced that the majority of the finance industry in its current state is even beneficial to the country. A lot of it is pure rent-seeking, and concentrating the wealth of the nation into a couple of square miles.

The poorer regions of the UK don't seem to mind the fact that London contributes 22% of the national GDP and therefore funds their benefits to a certain extent. On that note, I've never heard a northerner complain that unemployment benefits are not weighted according to the region in which you live. The cost of living in London is higher, the salaries are higher, which means the tax and national insurance contributions are higher, yet the benefits are the same. Perhaps everybody north of Birmingham could join Scotland and leave the UK - then we might have a viable country once more?

I would also like to bet good money (not GBP now of course) that when the north/south divide was the other way around, i.e. during the industrial revolution, there were not many northerners heard to be complaining about how unfair it all was.

Edited by Mark123456

What will happen to all the European migrant workers in the UK?

As I understand the speeches, all will be returned.

The 750,000 polish plumbers first.

Iived in the UK for 5yrs will be able to obtain UK citizenship,in fact I believe many are now doing exactly that.

Even those who have only been in the UK for 2 or 3yrs will also be able to go down this path, as the exit negotiations will take a year or two. After the exit negotiations are completed,our fellow Europeans will then be able to obtain a visa,that is of course if their occupation is felt desirable to the British economy.

Thx

Exactly what I have read in the UKIP party program.

In the last election in 2015 they have indeed getting 3.881.129 votes.

This is a vote share of 12.6%.

It raises the question whether if this 5 year UKIP proposal for EU foreigners, can really find a majority in parliament.

Is my computer 'stuck'? The SCB TT exchange rate has been showing 46.9 for hours now.

Not TT rate

Sorry and not to be pedantic but you can't actually exchange currency at either oanda xe and I think this is where lots of the disagreement about currency values spring from. The other aspect of course is that the onshore and offshore rates are often different, as certainly are the banks margins.

The current average exchange rate for GBP/THB across all banks in Thailand is 46.83.

https://daytodaydata.net/

Not TT rate

Sorry and not to be pedantic but you can't actually exchange currency at either oanda xe and I think this is where lots of the disagreement about currency values spring from. The other aspect of course is that the onshore and offshore rates are often different, as certainly are the banks margins.

The current average exchange rate for GBP/THB across all banks in Thailand is 46.83.

https://daytodaydata.net/

You are correct - those sites list the trading price (i.e. the last agreed sell/buy trade between institutions. For the ordinary folk exchanging currency they typically are selling from inventory and have a sell rate and a buy rate and they make the difference between those two values. If your order is large enough that they cannot handle through normal retail channels you can place a currency order which gets a better rate since you are trading it with fees for executing etc. Since Forex booths here in Thailand are typically only buying you see the buy retail rate. It gets even more complicated in Thailand since I think they still have currency controls and the rate inside the country may differ from outside.

Looks like some folks have something to fear Sarge:-

Independent: Wave of Racial Abuse and Hate Crimes Reported

'More then a hundred instances'... Not very nice, totally uncalled for!

It's beginning to look like the only way EU immigration will be curbed, unfortunately. This abuse is not a good outcome.

Thx

Exactly what I have read in the UKIP party program.

In the last election in 2015 they have indeed getting 3.881.129 votes.

This is a vote share of 12.6%.

It raises the question whether if this 5 year UKIP proposal for EU foreigners, can really find a majority in parliament.

The description is slightly confused, has nothing to do with UKIP, and has already been accepted by Parliament. After 5 years of lawful residence under the EEA Regulations (typically by working, but it also includes wives and children), they automatically obtain 'permanent residence'. That is EU law (Directive 2004/38/EC). If you have permanent residence, you count as settled. After one year of being settled, and with 5 years of 'continuous residence', they may apply for naturalisation.