Jomtiem Beach

EvenSteven

I'm thinking about staying in the Jomtien area for a week or so on my next trip. I'd like to know if the beach is fairly clean and the water safe to swim-in insofar as cleanliness and safe from jelly fish and sharks etc?

Edited by EvenSteven

If you want to avoid ear and eye infections, use the hotel pool.

The flood surface water that drains into the sea now is full of nasy bacteria.

No beach area is totally safe at night, especially if you are alone and wearing jewelry. Avoid, people that approach you that are overly friendly.

Edited by Kabula

When I want an ocean swim I take a ferry (30baht) to Koh Larn, (coral island) for the day. The water is clearer and I have never had any type illness afterwards.

the only place I swim around Pattaya and Jomtien

I lived at the beach for 12 years so far and never gone in the water. Would rather swim in own toilet, as at least I know who's poo.....

I used to wear sandals for daily walks on the sidewalks. Got very nasty strep infection on right foot, year later recurring nasty fungus ate holes in left foot. Can't say if just coincidence, but now it's shoes an socks for me.

Oh might want to keep an eye on those new stairs from "improvement". One near Family Mart looks about ready to collapse. Ah adventure living!

Water quality has gone down more and more over the years.

I just walk in to the hips.

If you want fairly clean water you have to drive south about 15 km or more.

Jelly fish are a potential problem depending on season.

It's ok if you can stand the views....just stay out of the water and use your hotel pool.....????

Thanks for the photo...I may download and use this pic as my avatar for my social media sites...lol

Just use the beach for deckchair ,and eating ,sleeping ,reading ,people watching .I usually stay at the Silver Sands resort ,which has two huge pools for swimming ,and the rooms in the back portion of the hotel are also extra large with a balcony .

"I usually stay at the Silver Sands resort ,which has two huge pools for swimming..."

Personally, I find it hilarious that someone would go to the beach and swim in a pool, 555

Kind of like going to NYC and then eating at a chain restaurant like Olive Garden, that you can get anywhere, 555

I must be stupid. When I want to go for a swim in a pool, I stay home and head over to the University OLYMPIC SIZE pool and pay 50B.

Here's the number of Olympic size pools at "resorts" in Pattaya: 0. Zip. None.

Sheer genius! ?

Edited by SiSePuede419

"I usually stay at the Silver Sands resort ,which has two huge pools for swimming..."

Personally, I find it hilarious that someone would go to the beach and swim in a pool, 555

Kind of like going to NYC and then eating at a chain restaurant like Olive Garden, that you can get anywhere, 555

I must be stupid. When I want to go for a swim in a pool, I stay home and head over to the University OLYMPIC SIZE pool and pay 50B.

Here's the number of Olympic size pools at "resorts" in Pattaya: 0. Zip. None.

Sheer genius! ?

Didn't know you need an Olympic size pool

Just to have a swim.

A wealth of advice indeed. Forgot about ear infections from swimming in dirty water in the ocean. Infected water is usually the reason I stay out of public pools. After all, how many people soap down and shower before jumping into the hotel pool, and how often is the water changed and monitored? I assume the worst, which means just about everyone who jumps into these hotel pools cleans out the crack of their ass in the water and that water stays put for weeks, maybe months, or even years. How nice! Just the thought of it is enough for me to lose my breakfast. bah.gif

Edited by EvenSteven

A wealth of advice indeed. Forgot about ear infections from swimming in dirty water in the ocean. Infected water is usually the reason I stay out of public pools. After all, how many people soap down and shower before jumping into the hotel pool, and how often is the water changed and monitored? I assume the worst, which means just about everyone who jumps into these hotel pools cleans out the crack of their ass in the water and that water stays put for weeks, maybe months, or even years. How nice! Just the thought of it is enough for me to lose my breakfast. bah.gif

Pool water is filtered ,and chemically treated against infection .You can see the bottom of the pool ,you can not see the sea bed in Jomtien or Pattaya beaches .

Pool water is filtered ,and chemically treated against infection .You can see the bottom of the pool ,you can not see the sea bed in Jomtien or Pattaya beaches .

Yes, indeed. Who would dip their toe in a pool with chocolate bars floating around like in Caddy Shack. The microscopic particles need to be treated with chemicals. But are there standards and inspections and enforcement of rules and regulations of pools in Thailand?

Edited by EvenSteven

After reading some of the last posts I am surprised I came out alive and well from my public pool visits during the last few decades biggrin.png

Paranoia reigns.

How do you comment that a lot of hardened tourists even survive swimming in the Jomtien sea tongue.png

Believe it or not: some even dip into Pattaya beach blink.pngbiggrin.png

The latter one is indeed over my limit.

After reading some of the last posts I am surprised I came out alive and well from my public pool visits during the last few decades biggrin.png

Paranoia reigns.

How do you comment that a lot of hardened tourists even survive swimming in the Jomtien sea tongue.png

Believe it or not: some even dip into Pattaya beach blink.pngbiggrin.png

The latter one is indeed over my limit.

When i lived in Jomtien Beach Condominium ,i swam in the pool daily for 3 years aprox ,without a problem .I do keep my mouth closed however when swimming anywhere .