Songkhla welcomes 3 albino lions

webfact

Songkhla welcomes 3 albino lions

alb.JPG

SONGKHLA, 28 June 2016 (NNT) - Songkhla Zoo received three albino lions from Ubon Ratchathani Zoo and will allow visitors to see them from July 7 onwards.

The three albino lions, including one male and two females, are two-and-a-half years old. Albino lions are extremely rare in the wild. All three have been pronounced in healthy condition.

The zoo will hold a naming contest for the lions. Zoo-goers can see the animals up close at the tiger show arena from July 7. The day coincides with the Islamic holiday ‘Hari Raya Aidilfitri’, which marks the end of the fasting period.

Many Thai Muslims from the restive South often visit Songkhla Zoo each year during the Islamic holiday, to spend time with their loved ones.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-28 footer_n.gif

"Many Thai Muslims from the restive South often visit Songkhla Zoo each year during the Islamic holiday, to spend time with their loved ones." Not terribly well worded. Infers their loved ones are in the zoo. Proof reading articles before submitting can fix these errors.

All zoos worldwide should be shut down. Animals in cages or in chains prohibited and punishable with stiff penalties. Only animal sanctuaries that provide natural, real life-like habitats should be permitted and ONLY for injured or rescued animals that cannot be rehabilitated and released back to the wild. Time to start treating our fellow earthlings with dignity and respect...not property to be owned, traded, sold and shown. Tall order though when humans cannot even treat other humans with dignity and respect! bah.gif

• 4 weeks later...

"Many Thai Muslims from the restive South often visit Songkhla Zoo each year during the Islamic holiday, to spend time with their loved ones." Not terribly well worded. Infers their loved ones are in the zoo. Proof reading articles before submitting can fix these errors.

The wording also reminds me of a wonderful little known book about syntax construction (of the English language). Full of little gems such as

"- the national flag is then slowly hoisted to the top of the flagpole, along with (their domestic equivalent of) Kate Perry singing the national anthem..."

Too bad I can't remember the name of the book, probably out of print eons ago.

All zoos worldwide should be shut down. Animals in cages or in chains prohibited and punishable with stiff penalties. Only animal sanctuaries that provide natural, real life-like habitats should be permitted and ONLY for injured or rescued animals that cannot be rehabilitated and released back to the wild. Time to start treating our fellow earthlings with dignity and respect...not property to be owned, traded, sold and shown. Tall order though when humans cannot even treat other humans with dignity and respect!

While I absolutely agree the quality of zoos need to be improved, I'd hate to live in a world where city kids can't be exposed to critters, hopefully to grow up supporting conservation efforts when they get old enough to make their own way. I suspect a lot more species would be extinct if not for the support of grown up kids who learned to love them in an inner city zoo.

Deplorable as they were at the time (late '50's x early '60s) Brookfield Zoo and the Lincoln Park Zoo kindled my lifelong love of animals and the environment they need to live. I'd have probably grown up chasing women and booze had I not learned to love the out of doors- fishing, camping and just walking around. And for that, I thank Mom and Dad, who took me to see the only critters we could afford to visit- in inner city zoos.