Missing Air Force’s helicopter found, with all three crew members dead

webfact

Missing Air Force’s helicopter found, with all three crew members dead

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4Fp4eodxye2N0Kotss9kI6L2

BANGKOK: -- Search and rescue teams found the missing helicopter at a deep valley adjoining Chanthaburi and Rayong provinces with all three crew members killed at the crash scene.

The search team reached the crash scene on foot at 10.23am.

The team was calling in helicopter to lift the three victims and sent them back to their base at Don Mueang Air Force base in Bangkok late today.

The crew members included a pilot, a co pilot and a mechanic.

They were flying a Huey helicopter from Don Mueang base to deliver supply to a radar station on a mountain top in Chanthaburi last Saturday.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/missing-air-forces-helicopter-found-three-crew-members-dead/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-28

Finally and end to yet another saga involving Vietnam war series choppers............

Condolences to the family and friends of the crew.........

Plenty of Vietnam era helis flying- depends on how much they have been modded. Hueys still in use all over the world.

B-52 technically been flying since the mid fifties as well and you could probably find C-47/DC3.

Just because kit is technically old doesn't mean its obsolete. New stuff falls out of the sky as well.

Not sure they are required on these Thai Air Force aircraft. They are required on all commercial aircraft by EASA & FAA. Should be especially where aircraft fly in remote locations.

Well done, Search team.
However, took 3 days too long.
Why didn't the location transponder work?

Well done, Search team.

The transponder would have stopped when electrical power was cut.

You may have meant the 'emergency beacon'?

Sometimes a little knowledge is worse than none.

An ELT may not be required on (all) military aircraft, but I'm not sure on that.

Edited by F4UCorsair

the OP has it as an airforce helicopter, therefore a military equivalent of the Bell 204/205 series, hence in this case one of their UH1-H macines was involved.

There have been posts mentioning the army helis' , but they are not of the same manufacture series as those of the airforce; the army's being either of the mil-equivalent of the model Bell 206, 209 0r 212, which aren't Vietnam era machines

I haven't obtained the unfortunate aircraft's Tail Code as yet

Condolences but these Thai army helicopters appear to regularly crash with fatal consequences - I remember a story not too long ago with a helicopter crashing and then the next two attempts of rescue helicopters also crashed.

havent you noticed they seem to crash alot? nice easy write off.

Well done, Search team.

The transponder would have stopped when electrical power was cut.

You may have meant the 'emergency beacon'?

Sometimes a little knowledge is worse than none.

An ELT may not be required on (all) military aircraft, but I'm not sure on that.

Yes, sorry for using the incorrect technical jargon.

Thanks for clearing up my layman's term.

Roger that, wilco, over and out, and all that!

I wonder why there's no mention of the weather conditions at the time the chopper went missing !

I also notice the comments suggesting mechanical failure.

In my experience of over 35 years of operating helicopters the majority of accidents were due to pilot error.

The Air Accident Investigators will publish a full report on this accident in due course I'm sure.