Schengen Visa Travel Insurance - Can You Buy during Visa Process?

My wife is going to Bangkok on Monday for a Schengen Visa at VFS! Can she buy her travel insurance during this process? Or should we buy on the internet

before she goes? What companies are a good value? Any help would be appreciated. She will be there (Europe) for 45 days.

for my mother in law we used a company called Care Concept, but previously we used the ones recommended by the German Embassy.

Which Country will she be applying at? Should have the insurance before applying-

You can buy a policy from AXA online that meets the requirements for about 3,500 Baht,https://direct.axa.co.th/TA/GetQuote?gclid=CMqpwd7dzM0CFVQeaAodbrAP_Q#xtor=SEC-1-GOO I've used them for my own travel, made a substantial claim, and they did pay out, keep in mind with most Thai insurers that you need to settle any bills first and claim back.

To be valid for a Schengen Visa the policy must be on the list of approved Thai insurers, or a insurer from the EU, not Schengen, the EU, that's why World Nomads isn't on the list.

My good lady has used World Nomads based in the EU, they may not be as cheap as Thai companies but they give better cover and with liaise and settle directly with the hospitals.

http://www.worldnomads.co.uk/?gclid=CMTz2OXfzM0CFRUXaAod89gH7Q

Any of the listed/suggested insurance companies from any Schengen embassy should be fine. The Schengen Code sets the standards that the insurance compancy and policy needs to meet. So a company on that German list should be just fine even if you applied at say the Belgium embassy. Any European company that meets the requirements of the visa code will do fine, even if not on the embassies list (those are often geard to companies operating from the country of origin). I'd prefer a European company for shorter lines and less risk of hassle if you do need them to pay out!

Obviously I would get the insurance in advance before heading to a VFS visa application centre (VAC). I don't trust them not to try and make extra profit if you'd ask them to point you to a company

Besides VFS is entirely optional, you don't need to visit a VAC for a Schengen visa, neither do you need them to make an appointment. Embassies should have instructions on how to apply directly at the embassy via an appointment made by (usually) e-mail. Saving you the VFS service fee.

Last but not least, if you happen to be a British or other EU/EEA national traveling to an other EU nation with your spouse, the visa will be free, issued ASAP, with minimal hassle and documentation (proof if legal marriage and IDs should be sufficient, embassy may ask a official translation and legalisation stamps if they need this to confirm authenticity of the documents). An insurance is NOT required in these cases, though I would not travel poorly insured incase you do get an accident!

More info in the Schengen sticky.

Edited by Donutz
  • Like 1

For Germany here a link. you have to use one of the companies listed or else the application is not processed

http://www.bangkok.diplo.de/contentblob/411506/Daten/6078697/Krankenversicherung.pdf

And World Nomads is not listed.

but worked ok. ended up with an axa danmark insurance - i think.

but you are right, stick with the link, the safest bet.

Safest bet in my eyes would be a reputable company that is active in one or more EU countries. Little chanche of arguments if it would come to paying out. Even better if the company is based in the country of the relevant embassy, so take a German based company if you are dealing with the German embassy, just incase you use say a Belgian company but the Germans never having heard of it and being too damn lazy to check.

I can't find a list with suggested (not limited to!) companies on the Italian webpage on visa:

http://www.ambbangkok.esteri.it/Ambasciata_Bangkok/Menu/Informazioni_e_servizi/Visti/

So I'd stick with has been suggested above an either get an Italian/EU based company or one from the German list with suggesions. Failing all that, AXA is the most widely known but may not offer the best price/quality ratio. A well known name generally means they might not offer the best deal. Plenty of competition out there though.

My wife will be going to the Italian Embassy? Any insurance policies they would like?

Do you want good insurance for the trip or simply proof any potential medical costs are covered in order to satisfy the visa requirements?

If anybody is interested in the latter MSIG have a product called Easy Visa which for 88-94 days is 1,765 baht only and there was something about it being partially refundable if the application was turned down. (Edit bought via a broker)

I stress this is not if you want standard full cover travel insurance - flight cancellation, baggage insurance etc.

Edited by topt

I bought an annual policy with BUPA in Thailand for the GF, now wife's fiancée visa. Absolute bargain and a reputable company.

Used them more than once. £50 for two months. One year was £87.