Get British passport or visa in thai passport ?

Hi, im hoping to take my Thai wife and 6 year old daughter to England for a 2 week holiday. Visa for wife should be ok, we live in Thailand, been married for 4 years , i will have funds, and all the documentation needed.

The question is what is the best option for my daughter.... get a Brtitsh passport for what will probably be her only visit to England for a few years or apply for a UK visa in her Thai passport at the same time as i apply for her Mothers visa. Not sure if the second option is actually possible. ?

If i do get her a British passport, how does getting through immigration at the Thai and British airports work ? Is it as simple as showing the Thai passport in and out of Thailand and British passport in and out in the UK.

I realise these questions make me sound a bit stupid, but i guess when a subject is really important to you, you want to explore all options, and get as much information and advice as possible.

Many thanks .

No contest. Get the British passport! Use it to show check in that she has a right to enter the UK. Thai passport to show entitlement to enter Thailand. British passport at check in in Thailand. Thai passport at border control in Thailand. British passport on entry to the UK. Not likely to be a problem in the UK when returning as British passport holders do not need a visa in advance. Thai passport at Border Control in Thailand. Airlines need evidence of right to enter at the other end. Immigration need evidence of right to enter without restriction.

Officially it is not possible for a British citizen to get a UK visa as it is illegal to restrict their stay in the UK. Not saying it is impossible but by the time the ECO has processed the application it is likely he or she will have twigged that the child is British!

• Like 1

In theory your daughter shouldn't be issued with a UK Visa is she's entitled to enter the UK as a British Citizen, though if they were to actually refuse such an application I don't know.

I personally would apply for her British Passport, it wouldn't cost that much more, it's worth its weight in gold and she will thank you for it one day.

The procedure is as simple as you suggest, she shows the UK Passport at check-in, her Thai Passport on exiting Thai Immigration and her UK Passport at the aircraft gate and at the UK Border, the return journey will be in reverse.

• Like 1