2.3 Million Chinese Tourists Vote Two Chiang Mai Restaurants in Top Ten List

snoop1130

2.3 Million Chinese Tourists Vote Two Chiang Mai Restaurants in Top Ten List

post-249866-0-35332900-1467199481_thumb.

CityNews – Two of Chiang Mai’s most popular restaurants, Mix Restaurant & Bar Chiang Mai and DK David’s Kitchen at 909, have made it to the top ten best tourist attractions for Chinese tourists in the “2016 People’s Choice Awards Thailand Voted by Chinese Tourists” online vote attracting 3.2 Million voters, hosted by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) this June.

The official TAT news website states that “The “2016 People’s Choice Awards Thailand Voted by Chinese Tourists” is aimed at getting vital feedback from Chinese visitors about the things they like most when visiting Thailand. Tourists can vote on Thai attractions in 17 categories including: destinations, tourist attractions, hotels (luxury, boutique, city and beach), airlines, restaurants, spas, medical, shopping areas, shopping malls, shows, festivals, food, fruit and golf.”

Votes were cast between June 7 to June 19 and the results were announced this week.

3.2 Million people voted in the online vote.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/2-3-million-chinese-tourists-vote-two-chiang-mai-restaurants-top-ten-list/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2016-06-29

Had the pleasure of dining at David's Kitchen (at his original location) about TEN Years ago. It was BRILLIANT !

Am sure the new place is as good, if not better. Haven't checked it out since we returned, will do so very soon.

All this really demonstrates is how lacking in cultural awareness the average Chinese tourist to Thailand is. When the "must see" places in a country are restaurants; you've kind of missed the point of travel. Surely Doi Suthep or even Chiang Mai zoo is a better reason to come here than a buffet restaurant?

Reading comprehension skills are in short supply these days. According to the TAT press release, the Chinese were voting in 17 major categories. I expect that the two venues mentioned were not the only venues mentioned for all of Northern Thailand, just the two restaurants.

I've never been to Mix Restaurant, but I can assure you that no tour bus or hoards of Chinese at a buffet line will be found at the new David's Kitchen. Those of you with Google skills can find the reviews on TripAdvisor. I haven't looked lately, but the last time I did, it was the top rated restaurant in Chiang Mai. And these are glowing reviews mostly from people with English as a first language.

All this really demonstrates is how lacking in cultural awareness the average Chinese tourist to Thailand is. When the "must see" places in a country are restaurants; you've kind of missed the point of travel. Surely Doi Suthep or even Chiang Mai zoo is a better reason to come here than a buffet restaurant?

Not if you are Chinese they aren't, restaurants are far more worthy of a visit.

Reading comprehension skills are in short supply these days. According to the TAT press release, the Chinese were voting in 17 major categories. I expect that the two venues mentioned were not the only venues mentioned for all of Northern Thailand, just the two restaurants.

I've never been to Mix Restaurant, but I can assure you that no tour bus or hoards of Chinese at a buffet line will be found at the new David's Kitchen. Those of you with Google skills can find the reviews on TripAdvisor. I haven't looked lately, but the last time I did, it was the top rated restaurant in Chiang Mai. And these are glowing reviews mostly from people with English as a first language.

I intend to check out David's Kitchen, but I've been to the Mix many times (they've got several, but the one at Promenada is pretty good). You will not find "hordes" of Chinese as the price is a tad on the high end. But the food is quite good. If some of you folks think all Thai restaurants taste mostly the same (as I do), then you will like the Mix as it's pretty unique and distinctive.

Mix is also an excellent place (multiple locations actually). Both are really good places and very much not typical tour group fodder. If I may say so they're a lot better recommendations than what you get when you ask the sophisticated Farang experts on the Chiang Mai forum.

As usual, the response from the Thaivisa members says a lot more about themselves than about anything else. :rolleyes:

Which reminds me. Just had a huge plate of Pad Thai at the newly reopened Begal restaurant on the moat (formerly Tiger Kingdom in Town). Refurbished as more upscale. Music on the weekends but I am not allowed out alone in the evening (wife gives me more credit than I am due). Tomorrow morning, it's back to the River Market Restaurant for the Chiang Mai Expat Breakfast. Great venue and an opportunity to talk to long time Expats, as well as, visitors and those wanting to retire in Chiang Mai. So, many restaurants, so little time...!

3.2 million Chinese voted in a one week period, with many voting for these two restaurants

to put them into the top 10. I call BS on the whole survey. Sounds like a TAT promotion

and hijacking of the survey. whistling.gif

It's incredible how many posters here can judge restaurants without ever having been there.

I've been to Davids Kitchen twice in the old location and once in the new location and each visit has been great. It is an upscale restaurant with some of the best food and service you can get in Chiang Mai. Even though it is pretty expensive you get very good value for your money.

Mix has 3 locations and I visit one of them weekly (it is the restaurant at my Golf Club). It serves quality fusion food at reasonable prices.

The Chinese who have visited these restaurant surely did not arrive on a cheap charter bus.

Mix is also an excellent place (multiple locations actually). Both are really good places and very much not typical tour group fodder. If I may say so they're a lot better recommendations than what you get when you ask the sophisticated Farang experts on the Chiang Mai forum.

As usual, the response from the Thaivisa members says a lot more about themselves than about anything else. rolleyes.gif

Indeed!

Mix is not a buffet.

The last time I ate at the Central Festival branch, the oysters appetizers were microscopic with far too much slathering of tartar sauce.

The main was a steamed whole fish. When it came you could see that the "cook" had breaded the fish as if to deep fry, then steamed it. The fish was covered in this viscous, snotty looking glop, which was gross, but even worse was that the meat inside was still raw.

The management apologized and did not ask me to pay for anything.

In all fairness, I have eaten there (at a different branch) before with much better results.

However, any restaurant must understand that a reviewer, from the internet or newspaper/magazine, will come to your restaurant only once and write about the experience from that visit. A good restaurant has good food and service every day, not just "usually" or "most of the time."

I find the numbers in the survey to be suspicious. Mix is somewhat popular, but all the times I have walked past a Mix branch, it has been far from full, and clearly much of its custom is Thai. It would take quite a long time for 2,3000,000 Chinese to eat at a Mix branch.

Something seems fishy here, no pun intended....

So, headline says 2.3 million, body of text says 3.2 million. Simple, transposition, no problem... But the headline implies that 2.3 (or 3.2) million people visited both of these restaurants. Which, to my twisted mind means a huge car park and quick turnover of meals. Something conveyor belt'ish for getting customers in and out without stopping? Rather like Metropolis / Modern Times?

You have to admire a good nonsensical headline.

i have actually obseved chinese at several occasions at local restaurants where i go.you can say many bad things about them but when it comes to food they are neither ignorant nor cheap.far from it.sometimes its a bit funny as it seems they order all the dishes they don't know ,but they sure do after wards .the problem is weather those two restaurants were good or bad now they are just packed all the time i guesss,like sp chicken, a rotisserie chicken and somtam place,really nice,just one bus is all it takes to fill it to capacity....we will are being pushed out by the sheer numbers.