Koh Samui municipality to use canvas to cover garbage

webfact

Koh Samui municipality to use canvas to cover garbage

3006007-wpcf_728x410.jpg

SAMUI: -- Faced with a mountain of accumulated garbage estimated at about 250,000 tonnes and a malfunctioned incinerator, Koh Samui municipality has come up with an idea to temporarily solve the problem – to buy rubber-coated canvas to cover the huge garbage.

A special budget has been sought for the purchase of the canvas and a number of backhoes are currently at work at the dump site next to the malfunctioned incinerator to prepare the land to accommodate the garbage and to cover it up with canvas.

Koh Samui mayor Ramnate Jaikwang said that the municipality had received many complaints from residents living around the landfill of the foul smell and putrid water seeping out of the dump site.

He added that the municipality would dig a pond to store the putrid water before it is delivered to a waste water treatment plant.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/170738-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-01

God help us if they knew what they are doing. What brain advises them ? Where do they come up with these silly solutions? It does not solve anything, what a farce.

Give them half a brain & they will be dangerous.

in Phnom Phen they did the same some years ago, maybe still today.

You could call it swiping it under the carpet. These geniuses don't think about the lethal acids from the trash going into the ground water...

Morons.

If they got a special budget allocation to buy the cover, how about a special budget allocation to fix the incinerator?

Or, heaven forbid, upgrade it to something that will actually do the job.

To stubborn to do so.... Canvas, can u imagine the stench, once it all starts baking...

There are several new types of waste operations that are semi portable and dispose of the garbage in a completely environmentally friendly way. I have personally seen these operating in Holland,and Germany. I was involved in the installation of two in China. They can operate next to residential areas ,produce either electricity or methane gas-subject to the type chosen and do not produce any environmental pollutants,zero emissions and are very economical to purchase......I do not understand why Thailand does not install one or two at this site to correct the problem

Why not just torch the lot of it while they are coming up with such amazing solutions !!!

Someone should be asking where the money allocated in surrathanni for samui has gone because it didn't reach here. Although I am seeing a lot more s class Mercs around samui !!

The canvas will accelerate the putrification process by increasing anaerobic activity within the pile. If they were smart, they would seek to capture the methane generated but sounds like that is beyond their brain capacity.

The big problem also will be the nasty chemical brew of tailings that will result. I would not go anywhere near this island with this environmental disaster is playing out.

Will be interesting to see what they will do when the first people get seriously sick or even die [not only one] !!!

That's what WILL happen ... unless they get rid of the problem.

This will turn into a real nightmare pretty soon.

There are several new types of waste operations that are semi portable and dispose of the garbage in a completely environmentally friendly way. I have personally seen these operating in Holland,and Germany. I was involved in the installation of two in China. They can operate next to residential areas ,produce either electricity or methane gas-subject to the type chosen and do not produce any environmental pollutants,zero emissions and are very economical to purchase......I do not understand why Thailand does not install one or two at this site to correct the problem

They just don't have the brains for it...

God help us if they knew what they are doing. What brain advises them ? Where do they come up with these silly solutions? It does not solve anything, what a farce.

Give them half a brain & they will be dangerous.

It is an experience, no one ever did it the world over, they are kind of precursors so try to think positively Roo...

...OK you cannot understand because no one in your familly or friends is in the canvas business whistling.gifPffffff

They just don't have the brains for it...

You have to whisper ideas like that to a General and speak no more of it yourself, then it may happen.

I'm pretty sure rats can eat through canvas. What does sun do to rubber? Or, will they build a roof over it to stop the rubber from deteriorating? Maybe they should ask each tourist to take 2 kilos with them when they leave? They could package it up nicely, and come up with a theme biggrin.png

Cover it over with rubber sheets,then it will heat up and

catch fire,a fire that would be very difficult to extinguish,

smoke will cover the island,would it not be easier to

fix the incinerator.for a long term solution.

regards worgeordie

For anybody who think this is something to make jokes about:

If the chemicals in the garbage [and there are many of them] get into the ground water

then it's game over Koh Samui !!!

People WILL get seriously sick and people WILL die from this !!!

Obviously the people in charge here on Samui are willing to sacrefice the whole island

to some short term money and are not shy to come up with the most redicolus ideas

anybody could have.

There is no "long term" in this issue !!!

They can solve the problem in a rather short term [because that's all they will have]

or they cannot solve it at all anymore.

As soon as the garbage "burns" into the ground there is nothing that can be done anymore.

The garbage needs to be dug out and transported off the island.

The garbage under the top layer can not be treated on the island any more !!!

There is probably not even a company in Thailand that could transport this shit savely ...

So please: This is damn serious stuff. Probably the biggest problem the island has right now.

And it's literally about life and death for many people living on the island.

....jebus.....have ya all seen the land fill right outside the airport gate? Seriously.....sources tell me one can fly in and see the carnage one, two , three, four, five major distribution centers of commercial goods can do to a roughly 25KM by 25KM island....in a matter of less than ten years it's become now an item of concern to all who live there. They tell me this is the first year that it's now a Major concern cause it's not seeming to go away. How could it? Locals are a contributor as well as tourists. All contribute to the ever expanding pile of accumulated wealth debris. The island however beautiful some may still find it to be has been ravaged to a point where pep's are complaining about it. That's a shot across the bow no matter what one says cause years ago it seems not one person had a reason to mention anything. There will be no solution to this mess....it will continue till eventually the tourists will NOT come and the Samuites catch on to the fact that ....well....ha ha....that'll never happen....mai pen rai....

If they got a special budget allocation to buy the cover, how about a special budget allocation to fix the incinerator?

Or, heaven forbid, upgrade it to something that will actually do the job.

But the governor's relative has a business which can provide canvas at only 5 times the market rate. None of his relatives fix incinerators.