Applying for baby's British passport / citizenship

20 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Everything you need is in the link.

Some documents they they require (in the link) are not actually necessary

For example : They state that the Mothers B/C is required , but having spoken to them directly, they state that if the Mother doesnt have a B/C , then they can still issue a PP

• Like 1

Just now, sanemax said:

Some documents they they require (in the link) are not actually necessary

For example : They state that the Mothers B/C is required , but having spoken to them directly, they state that if the Mother doesnt have a B/C , then they can still issue a PP

Correct.  My son's passport was issued and his mother only has a passport/ID card.

• Like 1

On June 1, 2017 at 9:45 AM, sanemax said:

Which documents were required ?

The documents required in the check list document from VFS for us was my UK passports original and ever page colour copied, my UK birth cert original and colour copy,  my sons Thai birth cert original and colour copy also translated, my girlfriend ID card original and colour copy, my girlfriends birth cert original and colour copy and translated, a utitily bill showing current address in Thailand if in Thai translated which mines needed to be, the passport application form and 2 pics of my son which was countersinged by a teacher friend, I also included a copy of the countersinger passport photo page and got him to sign it. 

We was actually in and out the interview room within 10 minutes as everything was correct. 

Hope this helps 

Edited by scottyp1980

• 4 months later...

Hi. I will be applying for my daughter's first UK passport soon and was wondering about the translation and certification of Thai documents. Is any of the shops offering translation services acceptable or do they have to come from some sort of 'approved'  list?

Thanks for reading.

• 6 months later...
On 7/2/2016 at 7:24 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

My son's photo was counter-signed by a teacher (UK citizen) I work with. It's not required as such, but not a bad idea to include a copy of their passport ID page too.

The mother of my son is from Laos and all I supplied for her, was a colour copy of each of her passport pages and a copy of her Lao ID card.

Just in the process of getting a passport for my half laos son in Bangkok, his mum has no id card just passport. Would this be sufficient?

Just in the process of getting a passport for my half laos son in Bangkok, his mum has no id card just passport. Would this be sufficient?
A UK passport? The mother of my son only had her passport and a poor quality copy of her Lao house-book, no birth certificate, but there was no problem getting my son's UK passport.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

11 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A UK passport? The mother of my son only had her passport and a poor quality copy of her Lao house-book, no birth certificate, but there was no problem getting my son's UK passport.

Thanks, well, she has passport and a copy of Laos house book I guess we will have to just try our best with that. Off to get passport photos for our baby today, do you have any idea where they are available?

Edited by Sambo5000

7 minutes ago, Sambo5000 said:

Thanks, well, she has passport and a copy of Laos house book I guess we will have to just try our best with that. Off to get passport photos for our baby today, do you have any idea where they are available?

Is there any chance that a family member of your wife could scan the house book and send a copy by email?

I think any good photoshop should be able to do the photos. Perhaps printout this webpage to show them. https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sambo5000 said:

Put the baby on an off white or cream sheet and take a photo with a decent smart phone set to high quality. Take the picture to a photo shop and they will crop and print for you.

If the baby is under 1 year you don't need their eyes open and they don't need to be looking directly at the camera or have a neutral expression.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So far I think I have all the correct documents for my sons passport application - his birth certificate in English, My birth certificate original, both parents passports, sons passport picture signed and verified by English friend, house book from Laos, the only thing I think i'm missing is a proof of address, what could I use for this? Does the Laos house book need to be translated?

Edited by Sambo5000

So far I think I have all the correct documents for my sons passport application - his birth certificate in English, My birth certificate original, both parents passports, sons passport picture signed and verified by English friend, house book from Laos, the only thing I think i'm missing is a proof of address, what could I use for this? Does the Laos house book need to be translated?
I did get my then girlfriend's Lao housebook translated. Not sure if it was overkill, but the passport was granted.

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I did get my then girlfriend's Lao housebook translated. Not sure if it was overkill, but the passport was granted.

Looking at this Laos house book it seems it would be complicated to translate, and expensive. Has anyone else gone as far as to do this? Right now i'm struggling with getting a proof of address, landlady doesn't seem keen to provide it..

Looking at this Laos house book it seems it would be complicated to translate, and expensive. Has anyone else gone as far as to do this? Right now i'm struggling with getting a proof of address, landlady doesn't seem keen to provide it..
My wife's housebook, Lao ID card was translated along with all the other Thai/Lao documents. It took about a week and cost around 4,000 baht.

For proof of address, I used a letter from my employer in Bangkok. If you're not working, I believe a 90 Day Report receipt is accepted.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

For proof of address, I used a letter from my employer in Bangkok. If you're not working, I believe a 90 Day Report receipt is accepted.

I'm on a 30 day exempt visa, so no 90 day receipts. I'm working on getting a tenancy agreement from landlady and if possible will try to get it translated today, our appointment is tomorrow morning so I don't really want to get the house book translated, I'm guessing it would take quite a while to do. Do you think I would get away without the translation?

I'm on a 30 day exempt visa, so no 90 day receipts. I'm working on getting a tenancy agreement from landlady and if possible will try to get it translated today, our appointment is tomorrow morning so I don't really want to get the house book translated, I'm guessing it would take quite a while to do. Do you think I would get away without the translation?
I'm afraid I don't know. My wife doesn't have a Lao birth certificate so we were advised to get her housebook translated and submit that. I guess if she has a birth certificate (translated) the housebook is unnecessary.

2 hours ago, Sambo5000 said:

I'm on a 30 day exempt visa, so no 90 day receipts

They MIGHT accept a colour copy of the visa exempt stamp as proof, there have been a lot of documented cases of them accepting colour copies of other types of visas, extensions etc.

The only issue might be that the passport application may take longer to process than your permission to stay in Thailand.

The onus is for you to prove residency (by this they mean that you are legally allowed to stay) in Thailand, not necessarily an address, which is why the wording is as follows on Table 1.

"All applicants must provide one document showing photo identity and one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency dated within the last year"

Was your child born in Thailand?

If so, then do you have the hospital records of the birth, or can you get them?

So long as there is a link between yourself and your child in them, these would be accepted for a child application.

Edited by Mattd

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm afraid I don't know. My wife doesn't have a Lao birth certificate so we were advised to get her housebook translated and submit that. I guess if she has a birth certificate (translated) the housebook is unnecessary.

Unfortunately, no birth cert or id card, only passport.

Thanks.

My 30 day exempt visa runs out in a few days, would it be better to begin the passport application process again once I have a longer visa?

Yes, my son was born in Thailand and we have all the hospital records, are you sure this would suffice?

Just now, Sambo5000 said:

Thanks.

My 30 day exempt visa runs out in a few days, would it be better to begin the passport application process again once I have a longer visa?

Yes, my son was born in Thailand and we have all the hospital records, are you sure this would suffice?

You should perhaps look at having a longer entry or making an extension of the current visa exempt if you haven't already.

They should accept the hospital records and a copy of your passport or another type of photo ID for yourself.

Table A of the required supporting documentation is quite clear IMO, I've removed the ones that are N/A to you based on what has been posted.

As I have said, the onus is for you to prove legal residence here at the time of applying, plus that you are who you say you are, considering that you are applying for your son.

Table A Identity, name and address and/or residency evidence

All applicants must provide one document showing photo identity and one document as evidence of name and address and/or residency dated within the last year.

Photo evidence Please provide one of the following:

• your British passport (if you are renewing)

• driving licence

Name and address and/or residency evidence

Please provide one of the following:

• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

• immigration documents.

If you are applying for a Child First British Passport the following documents are also accepted. The document provided should show a link to the parent applying and show that the child and parent are resident where they are applying from.

• Medical/hospital records (birth records)

• 7 months later...

Do all the translations also need a stamp from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

So for the application here is the checklist - anything not necessary?

- father's passport + colour copies of all pages

- father's original birth cert + colour copy

- mother's ID card + colour copy

- baby's birth certificate + colour copy (translated and stamped)

- marriage certificate + colour copy (translated and stamped) *  not sure this is required

- utility bill

36 minutes ago, CarlBkk said:

- marriage certificate + colour copy (translated and stamped) *  not sure this is required

- utility bill

Looks good, apart from ........

Fathers long version birth certificate ........... they won't accept a short version birth certificate.

- utility bill
HMPO only required certified translations; nothing to do with any Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app