No sidewalk vendors in Night Bazaar

Chiengmaijoe

Starting yesterday there will be no vendors selling their wares on the pavements of Changklan road or the sois off it for the next week. With it being low-season it gave the place an even quieter feel. I have heard that it is to re-mark the selling zones into smaller spaces, but another suggestion is that it is an attempt to try and force the sellers into the empty slots at Anusarn and Galare markets, the Plaza behind McDonald's and the plaza in front of D2 hotel, which is being renovated (the plaza, that is). This has happened before and eventually it went back to being how it was, so it will be interesting to see what happens this time. I think removing them permanently would make the place a bit less interesting, but a general smartening-up of the stalls wouldn't go amiss.

Sometimes seems there are more vendors in the stalls than shoppers on the walk.... if they didn't profit ,I suppose they wouldn't be there. The newish food court you enter between the 2 pink pussies is always full, some decent food and better than decent live music.

Sometimes seems there are more vendors in the stalls than shoppers on the walk.... if they didn't profit ,I suppose they wouldn't be there. The newish food court you enter between the 2 pink pussies is always full, some decent food and better than decent live music.

I keep meaning to check that place out, thanks for reminding me.

I can't remember the last time I was between 2 pink pussies, so it might be worth going just for that.

I can recall the days when the then world famous Chiang Mai night market was so packed that it became hard to breath because of all the people shoving and pushing trying to make their way through. Now look at it. Last week I was walking down LK and in one bar some women were touting for customers sitting on stools and 2 of the women had grey hair, must have been in their 50s. Really I`m not making up, never seen everything like that before in a Thailand bar.

Chiang Mai has lost it`s sparkle, dull and dreary. I couldn`t even recommend to anyone where to go for a night out. If anyone is thinking of coming here to retire, I would say don`t do it, you`ll be bored to death. Going out on the town is as exciting as watching wet paint dry on a plank.

If you are bored, it is more about you than the location, dull and dreary, ok, sure the tourist hooker LK scene may be diminshed, if that is your a idea of "out on the town" it may be time to broaden your perspectives.

I can recall the days when the then world famous Chiang Mai night market was so packed that it became hard to breath because of all the people shoving and pushing trying to make their way through. Now look at it. Last week I was walking down LK and in one bar some women were touting for customers sitting on stools and 2 of the women had grey hair, must have been in their 50s. Really I`m not making up, never seen everything like that before in a Thailand bar.

Chiang Mai has lost it`s sparkle, dull and dreary. I couldn`t even recommend to anyone where to go for a night out. If anyone is thinking of coming here to retire, I would say don`t do it, you`ll be bored to death. Going out on the town is as exciting as watching wet paint dry on a plank.

Not everyone wants to go out in the evenings when they get older.

I'm quite happy at home, cooking my evening meal then watching Eastenders with a cup of tea.

Same as I would be in London, but with more living space, warmer weather and cheaper coffee bars.

Edited by MissAndry

I am fully with you. Chiang Mai is a lovely city "preppy" where you get bored a lot.
Hunting municipality for street vendors or pretty girls smiling kills slowly but surely Surrans its charm.
For me there are no free days that I regret the Pattaya madness off consideration of sex market and I believe that I will come back soon.

The night bazar has been in decline for as long as I can remember, and even when it was the only market in town of that type (before the Sat-Sun walking street markets) it wasn't very good, with mostly mass produced crap on sale.

It'd be great of all those nasty stalls on the road could go, however before doing that it would be good to replace it with an actual attraction of some kind in that area. Otherwise all you do is just kill it off completely.

If Chiang Mai's "sparkle" could truly be damaged by a couple of older ladies of the night; the city would be truly fragile in every respect. You don't come to Chiang Mai for "high quality whoring" the entirety of the bar district here is populated with the cast offs from the better paid venues of Bangkok and Pattaya; it's where sub standard hookers come to die. Fortunately, for the majority of ordinary expats and visitors alike - Loi Kroh isn't where they spend their time. The vibrant haunts of Nimman, the cheap and cheerful Night Bazaar and Anusarn Market areas, the River Side's peculiar collection of restaurants, and so on... these are the things that give Chiang Mai "sparkle" and not the sad breeding grounds for STDs and loneliness that exist on Loi Kroh.

If Chiang Mai's "sparkle" could truly be damaged by a couple of older ladies of the night; the city would be truly fragile in every respect. You don't come to Chiang Mai for "high quality whoring" the entirety of the bar district here is populated with the cast offs from the better paid venues of Bangkok and Pattaya; it's where sub standard hookers come to die. Fortunately, for the majority of ordinary expats and visitors alike - Loi Kroh isn't where they spend their time. The vibrant haunts of Nimman, the cheap and cheerful Night Bazaar and Anusarn Market areas, the River Side's peculiar collection of restaurants, and so on... these are the things that give Chiang Mai "sparkle" and not the sad breeding grounds for STDs and loneliness that exist on Loi Kroh.

That exact Chiang Mai I hate, with too worn retirees who demonize recreation they no longer use.

If you are bored, it is more about you than the location, dull and dreary, ok, sure the tourist hooker LK scene may be diminshed, if that is your a idea of "out on the town" it may be time to broaden your perspectives.

Broaden the perspectives to what? Considering the state of those women in the bars I wouldn`t go with them if they paid me. I was walking through LK with my girlfriend in the evening to meet a friend and his wife touring Thailand staying at the Duangtawan Hotel and were amazed by what we saw and the state of it all having not been in that area since the last 3 years. We ended up going to French restaurant near by, name I won`t mention in case the mods tell me off, that was over rated by the ads, the service was terrible and way too expensive. The bill for the 4 of us and none of us are big drinkers, my friend had 2 large bottles of beer I had 1 large bottle of beer and the girls 1 glass of wine each came to nearly 5700 baht. We finished in there at 10.30. My friend having not been to Chiang Mai for a very long time remarked what a dead and alive craphole Chiang Mai has become and it`s not so cheap as we read in all the reports. The following 2 days they went on to Hue Hin and I spoke with him 2 days after that on Skype. My friend said that he would not be visiting Chiang Mai again as it`s really gone down hill.

Considering how many Farlang retirees are flocking into the city each year I think it`s a poor show with the lack of amenities laid on for us here. If not for my girlfriend caring and wanting to be near her elderly parents we would have left Chiang Mai long ago, me being more bored of it then she is. Then there is the dreadful state of Chiang Mai immigration the worse in the whole country. Maybe OK for the really old people that have one foot in the grave and probably enjoy living in one great old people`s home, but for me I am becoming disillusioned with the place, lack of choice, lack of action spots with no life and soul about it at all. And that`s my up to date review of Chiang Mai that they can shove right up their TAT.

What "lack of amenities"? Hundreds of restaurants. Nearly a dozen decent sized supermarkets. Many museums, many temples (and nearly all quite spectacular too), an ancient capital, gyms galore, shopping malls, hospitals, a zoo, a botanical garden, bookstores, an aquarium, cinemas, etc. Chiang Mai wants for nothing in terms of amenities. It may have limited night life but it's not that limited; there are still clubs, bars and indeed, brothels all over town. There's nothing missing here at all. It's a small-ish city in the scheme of things and the overall range here reflects that. But it's certainly not absent anything major.

It's easy to get bored anywhere. I know - I have a lifetime's experience of getting bored and moving. But because you're bored is no reflection on the city; it's a reflection on you.

Broaden the perspectives to what? Considering the state of those women in the bars I wouldn`t go with them if they paid me. I was walking through LK with my girlfriend in the evening to meet a friend and his wife touring Thailand staying at the Duangtawan Hotel and were amazed by what we saw and the state of it all having not been in that area since the last 3 years. We ended up going to French restaurant near by, name I won`t mention in case the mods tell me off, that was over rated by the ads, the service was terrible and way too expensive. The bill for the 4 of us and none of us are big drinkers, my friend had 2 large bottles of beer I had 1 large bottle of beer and the girls 1 glass of wine each came to nearly 5700 baht. We finished in there at 10.30. My friend having not been to Chiang Mai for a very long time remarked what a dead and alive craphole Chiang Mai has become and it`s not so cheap as we read in all the reports. The following 2 days they went on to Hue Hin and I spoke with him 2 days after that on Skype. My friend said that he would not be visiting Chiang Mai again as it`s really gone down hill.

Considering how many Farlang retirees are flocking into the city each year I think it`s a poor show with the lack of amenities laid on for us here. If not for my girlfriend caring and wanting to be near her elderly parents we would have left Chiang Mai long ago, me being more bored of it then she is. Then there is the dreadful state of Chiang Mai immigration the worse in the whole country. Maybe OK for the really old people that have one foot in the grave and probably enjoy living in one great old people`s home, but for me I am becoming disillusioned with the place, lack of choice, lack of action spots with no life and soul about it at all. And that`s my up to date review of Chiang Mai that they can shove right up their TAT.

Not knocking you as haven't been for a while, but you could do with a break by the sounds, it makes a huge difference. The powers that be were always keen on curtailing the naughty scene (at least that which is on show) but it has plenty of variety. Sure, it'll never be how it was in the '90s/early naughties before all the retired folk started to infiltrate in earnest, but you should think yourself lucky as some parts of the kingdom truly are boring. The Sunday Market aside, the Night Bazaar lost its appeal when they started cleaning Chang Khlan up. While a good thing, it seems to have lost its je ne sais quoi.

The night bazar has been in decline for as long as I can remember, and even when it was the only market in town of that type (before the Sat-Sun walking street markets) it wasn't very good, with mostly mass produced crap on sale.

It'd be great of all those nasty stalls on the road could go, however before doing that it would be good to replace it with an actual attraction of some kind in that area. Otherwise all you do is just kill it off completely.

it's in decline because with the Internet, people know that you can buy those fake Chinese goods a whole lot cheaper on-line. my wife often goes down there to look for something she is interested in as a gift or something, looks at it, takes a photo (if they let her) , then will research it on-line, and buy it on-line for as much as 66% less including shipping, than the best price she was quoted from the street vendor. i'm fairly certain most tourists know that too. i agree the street stalls are really an eyesore. business would probably improve inside the market if they were gone permanently.

i think C.M. has gotten much, much better with the exception of the horrible traffic. there is so much to do here it's ridiculous. if you want whores, you could head down to Bangkok for a weekend. there is plenty of that here, but most falangs don't know where to look. it doesn't interest me but there is plenty of action. get a Thai friend to help you...

What "lack of amenities"? Hundreds of restaurants. Nearly a dozen decent sized supermarkets. Many museums, many temples (and nearly all quite spectacular too), an ancient capital, gyms galore, shopping malls, hospitals, a zoo, a botanical garden, bookstores, an aquarium, cinemas, etc. Chiang Mai wants for nothing in terms of amenities. It may have limited night life but it's not that limited; there are still clubs, bars and indeed, brothels all over town. There's nothing missing here at all. It's a small-ish city in the scheme of things and the overall range here reflects that. But it's certainly not absent anything major.

It's easy to get bored anywhere. I know - I have a lifetime's experience of getting bored and moving. But because you're bored is no reflection on the city; it's a reflection on you.

I will agree with all but the museums, I am a museum guy and I find that lacking, The natural and human history here has yet to be adequately interpreted. This is not CM specific, i have yet to visit a world class museum in Thailand. The little museum in Wat Ket is wimsicly interesting.

i think C.M. has gotten much, much better with the exception of the horrible traffic. there is so much to do here it's ridiculous. if you want whores, you could head down to Bangkok for a weekend. there is plenty of that here, but most falangs don't know where to look. it doesn't interest me but there is plenty of action. get a Thai friend to help you...

Who said anything about wanting whores? You lot seem infatuated with whores. Someone makes criticisms about Chiang Mai and then you come to the conclusions it`s because it has a lack of bars and brothels.

I will agree with all but the museums, I am a museum guy and I find that lacking, The natural and human history here has yet to be adequately interpreted. This is not CM specific, i have yet to visit a world class museum in Thailand. The little museum in Wat Ket is wimsicly interesting.

The best museum in Thailand, for me, is the Oub Kham Museum in Chiang Rai - absolutely superb and a world class experience. I agree Chiang Mai's museums have some ground to cover but they're there and they're trying hard. I though the folk museum was excellent and the coin museum was a lovely place to visit (even if, by its very nature, it's not all that fascinating). The others were a bit disappointing but I'm glad I went - haven't been to the one in Wat Ket but it's now on my list. :-)

When I first visited in Chiang Mai in 1990 several of the dark, unpaved sois just off of the moat road were still littered with old teak houses with red lights and hundreds of child prostitutes. Chiang Mai was well known for that at the time and consequently attracted a lot of undesirables. It reminded me of some dusty lawless old wild west town from the American 1800s. I might complain about the night market today, or the traffic, or the lack of nightlife, but Chiang Mai has grown into a really decent place for a person (age 50+) to live and I don't miss the old Chiang Mai at all. Anyone here under 50 - stop complaining and just leave, go fully enjoy your life while you can, come back when you want to settle down and you might just start to like the place.

I sometime wonder what people want out of life,chiang mai is not utopia but then tell me were is that is cheap good food, warm weather, inexpensive drinks,female or male company on tap international airport in town,get away quick if want Transport 24 hours a day very cheap.and if you want a wat,there is hundreds around.should start a blog on the good things in los.

the current mob have killed off some of the 'vibe' with the ridiculous closure at 12 policy that applies, hypocritically, only to chiang mai

No, it doesn't. I was in Udon Thani less than a week ago - it applies there too.

been to BKK or Pattaya lately? it applies there right? I mean they would not be two faced would they?

The best museum in Thailand, for me, is the Oub Kham Museum in Chiang Rai - absolutely superb and a world class experience. I agree Chiang Mai's museums have some ground to cover but they're there and they're trying hard. I though the folk museum was excellent and the coin museum was a lovely place to visit (even if, by its very nature, it's not all that fascinating). The others were a bit disappointing but I'm glad I went - haven't been to the one in Wat Ket but it's now on my list. :-)

"Taste" in museums is, of course, a personal matter one cannot debate.

Without turning this into a "museum thread" I would like to add that imho the most compelling museum experiences to be had in Lanna are:

1. Lamphun: the small National Museum next to the ancient Wat Haripunchai.

2. Chiang Saen: the National Museum.

The Oub Kham "museum" in Chiang Rai, created and run by Khun Julasak (descendant of former Lampang area royalty), is an interesting re-creation of a kind of "vision" of the former glory of the courts of the Shan princes, imho worth seeing as a kind of immersion in fantasia.

For me, it is the synergy between the special "mana" of Wat Haripunchai and the Lamphun Museum that makes it such a truly special place. And, I like the ambiance of the small-scale of the architecture of the museum.

Suggested readings that, imho, will greatly increase your enjoyment of visting Lanna Musuems:

1. "The Buddha Images of Northern Thailand" by Carol Stratton and Miriam McNair Scott ISBN 978-1932476095

2. "Siam in Mind" by David Wyatt ISBN 978-9747551723 Silkworm Books

3. "Chiang Mai Chronicle" translated by Richard Cushman, later edited by David Wyatt and Aroonrut Wichienkeeo Silkworm Books

For further details on Carol Stratton's superb book (worth going to a library to find), and some discussion of other texts, see this post from 2004 by this humble flea of an amateur scholar who writes these words ... now:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/soc.culture.thai/tlUb90mfSUg/GV907U8DK1MJ

cheers, ~o:37;

"Taste" in museums is, of course, a personal matter one cannot debate.

Without turning this into a "museum thread" I would like to add that imho the most compelling museum experiences to be had in Lanna are:

1. Lamphun: the small National Museum next to the ancient Wat Haripunchai.

2. Chiang Saen: the National Museum.

The Oub Kham "museum" in Chiang Rai, created and run by Khun Julasak (descendant of former Lampang area royalty), is an interesting re-creation of a kind of "vision" of the former glory of the courts of the Shan princes, imho worth seeing as a kind of immersion in fantasia.

For me, it is the synergy between the special "mana" of Wat Haripunchai and the Lamphun Museum that makes it such a truly special place. And, I like the ambiance of the small-scale of the architecture of the museum.

Suggested readings that, imho, will greatly increase your enjoyment of visting Lanna Musuems:

1. "The Buddha Images of Northern Thailand" by Carol Stratton and Miriam McNair Scott ISBN 978-1932476095

2. "Siam in Mind" by David Wyatt ISBN 978-9747551723 Silkworm Books

3. "Chiang Mai Chronicle" translated by Richard Cushman, later edited by David Wyatt and Aroonrut Wichienkeeo Silkworm Books

For further details on Carol Stratton's superb book (worth going to a library to find), and some discussion of other texts, see this post from 2004 by this humble flea of an amateur scholar who writes these words ... now:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/soc.culture.thai/tlUb90mfSUg/GV907U8DK1MJ

cheers, ~o:37;

Thank you. :-) I have all those books already but completely agree with your recommendations. :-)