Non Immigrant O-A Visa - Options

Hello,

I have a Multiple Entry, Non-Immigrant O-A Visa, issued on the 08/07/2015.

I have had to go back to Australia and have been here for longer than i wanted, due to circumstances beyond my control.

My visa expires on 8th this month - most likely done myself no favours leaving things this late.

The 800,000 Baht is now down to 450,000.

What are the best options I have ???.

I think it is quite clear that an extension is out of the question as the funds are below that required to make the extension.

Canberra have told me that they do not give out Multi Entry O Visa's, unless you can prove you have a genuine need for one.

Given my type of work, it enables me to be able to use Thailand as my base as I have done for many years.

Was informed by Canberra (told me not to say it came from them) that I can apply for a Multi Entry O Visa from Australian Embassy in Bangkok.

Was told I needed to go to Bangkok on a Tourist Visa, then apply through the Australian Embassy.

(Thai Immigration said, I had abused the system & canned my 30 day stamp on arrival, as I was flying in and out of the country every four weeks for work, for quite a while).

Also as a matter of interest, my Arrival Card & Passport was stamped, 29th April 2016 (date of arrival) & admitted to 28th April 2017.

I think this is a mistake on the part of the Immigration Officer at the time of my arrival, and will be rectified to the correct date when they deem necessary.

Cheers to everyone and any positive suggestions, are and will be, greatly appreciated.

Visa Stamped attached below.

post-99328-0-57720000-1467460820_thumb.j

Edited by kangaloowest

• The stamps in your passport are correct.
  • I assume you didn't buy a re-entry permit when you returned to Australia. If you did, you don't need a new visa and can return using the re-entry permit. If you didn't and can't return on or before the 8th your visa is no longer valid and you've lost your permission to stay until April 2017.

How soon can you get together the 800K again?

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

• I assume you didn't buy a re-entry permit when you returned to Australia. If you did, you don't need a new visa and can return using the re-entry permit. If you didn't and can't return on or before the 8th your visa is no longer valid and you've lost your permission to stay until April 2017.

I am in Australia as we speak,

No I didn't buy a re-entry permit, and no I cannot return before the 8th.

No chance of getting the money together before the 8th.

Can I buy a re-entry permit now before the visa expires, or is it still a requirement to have the 800,00 Baht to show ??.

Edited by kangaloowest

Can I buy a re-entry permit now before the visa expires, or is it still a requirement to have the 800,00 Baht to show ??.

Unfortunately not.

Yes you will need 800K in the bank OR a minimum income of 65K pm OR a combination of the two if applying for a non 'O', non 'O-A' visa or an extension of stay based on retirement.

If you don't have the funds now for a non immigrant visa you could try for a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa. You'll need to leave/return every 60/90 days, but you can get nearly 9 months from this visa and a 30 day extension of stay. You only need about 250K baht equivalent for this visa.

Once you're funds are back up to the 800K you can convert the METV entry to a non 'O' visa/entry or go to Vientiane, Laos for a non 'O' visa and then apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

• Like 1

Unfortunately not.

Yes you will need 800K in the bank OR a minimum income of 65K pm OR a combination of the two if applying for a non 'O', non 'O-A' visa or an extension of stay based on retirement.

If you don't have the funds now for a non immigrant visa you could try for a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa. You'll need to leave/return every 60/90 days, but you can get nearly 9 months from this visa and a 30 day extension of stay. You only need about 250K baht equivalent for this visa.

Once you're funds are back up to the 800K you can convert the METV entry to a non 'O' visa/entry or go to Vientiane, Laos for a non 'O' visa and then apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

I have had a Multi Entry "O" Visa before, (3 years back), from here in Oz, and have only needed to show AU$10,000 (250,000 Baht).

Unless things as far as the amount of $$$ has changed for a Non O.

I think that a Tourist Visa may be my best option, and then going to Bangkok to apply for a Multi Entry Non O Visa.

Cheers and thank you very much for your help and advice, much appreciated :) :)

Thai Immigration said, I had abused the system & canned my 30 day stamp on arrival, as I was flying in and out of the country every four weeks for work, for quite a while

As you are, in your own words, working in The Thailand it is understandable that the immigration officer feels that you are abusing the system.

Thai Immigration said, I had abused the system & canned my 30 day stamp on arrival, as I was flying in and out of the country every four weeks for work, for quite a while

As you are, in your own words, working in The Thailand it is understandable that the immigration officer feels that you are abusing the system.

Never, have I said, "I was working in Thailand".

I was using Thailand as my base, and "Flying out of Thailand to go to work", not working in Thailand.

Never have I worked within Thai borders.

The Thai Immigration Officer said to me,

"Because I was coming and going so many times within a short period of time, I was not actually a tourist as such, and was using to the current system to my advantage, therefore I need to get a Visa if I wished to travel so frequently in and out of the country.

Edited by kangaloowest

I don't think it's clear to the OP that he doesn't have to get the money together before July 8th to bring his Thai bank account up to 800,00 baht. All he has to do is get enough money (and time) together to get himself back to Thailand to come into the country, get another 12 month permission to stay at the airport and then turn around and purchase a re-entry permit (he can do this at the airport) before he leaves again. This may be cheaper than trying to to get another O-A visa in Australia.

As it is, had he purchased a re-entry permit before he left, he would have up to April 28, 2017 to top up his account here (well, actually three months before since the money has to "season" in the account) and could have returned any time before then.

There's still time for him to buy himself more time fairly cheaply -- but not for long. He doesn't even have to leave the airport in Bangkok to take care of this before July 8th. Just a quick trip to Thailand, stamp, stamp, buy re-entry permit, stamp, stamp and then back to Oz. Good to return until July, 2017 when he can get a retirement extension (assuming he can build up his Thai bank account in that time.)

• Like 2

"Was informed by Canberra (told me not to say it came from them) that I can apply for a Multi Entry O Visa from Australian Embassy in Bangkok.

Was told I needed to go to Bangkok on a Tourist Visa, then apply through the Australian Embassy."

"I think that a Tourist Visa may be my best option, and then going to Bangkok to apply for a Multi Entry Non O Visa."

The Australian Embassy does not do Non O Visas for Thailand.

I was using Thailand as my base, and "Flying out of Thailand to go to work", not working in Thailand.

"Because I was coming and going so many times within a short period of time, I was not actually a tourist as such, and was using to the current system to my advantage, therefore I need to get a Visa if I wished to travel so frequently in and out of the country.

Thank you for your clarification of "flying in and out of Thailand for work". I probably misunderstood you because last time I went to Thailand I flew in and out for tourism.

• Like 1

"Was informed by Canberra (told me not to say it came from them) that I can apply for a Multi Entry O Visa from Australian Embassy in Bangkok.

Was told I needed to go to Bangkok on a Tourist Visa, then apply through the Australian Embassy."

"I think that a Tourist Visa may be my best option, and then going to Bangkok to apply for a Multi Entry Non O Visa."

The Australian Embassy does not do Non O Visas for Thailand.

That was not the information I received from staff in the Thai Embassy in Canberra,

In saying that , that information was given to me one year ago

I can confirm that neither the Australian embassy nor the embassy or consulate of any other country issues a Non-O Visa or any other visa for Thailand, and they didn't do so either a year ago.

• Like 2

Was informed by Canberra (told me not to say it came from them) that I can apply for a Multi Entry O Visa from Australian Embassy in Bangkok.

Was told I needed to go to Bangkok on a Tourist Visa, then apply through the Australian Embassy.

I think you misunderstood.

If you traveled to Bangkok on a tourist visa you could apply to Thai immigrations to convert your entry to a non-imm O entry and during the last 30 days of that entry you could apply for an extension of stay based on retirement.

It has nothing to do with the Australian embassy, although you might need to visit the Australian embassy to have your income certified. A copy of the income certificate would be needed for the conversion from the tourist visa entry to the non-o entry and the original would be required for the extension of stay if you choose to use the income method.

Not sure why they would say not to tell anyone "it came from them." Conversion to a non-imm O entry is not a secret. If they told you to try to do it at the Australian embassy, they were pulling your leg.

If your non-imm O-A was issued less than a year ago and has not yet expired, all you would need to do is return to Thailand. You'd get a new one year permission to stay. If you got a re-entry permit you could leave Thailand and come back anytime in the next year. Your re-entry permit and new year's permission to stay would expire on the same date.

• Like 2

Come back to Thailand anytime, entry by an airport 30 days tourist visa, go to your Embassy here, and find out what you need to get the income verification for TH65000/month. If you cannot get it, go to a visa service office to find out how they can help you with the bank deposit if need it.

After all this resolved, start again with your NO visa and retirement extension process.

I can confirm that neither the Australian embassy nor the embassy or consulate of any other country issues a Non-O Visa or any other visa for Thailand, and they didn't do so either a year ago.

Yes they do.

I am literally looking at my Non "O' Visa that was issued in Sydney just over a year ago. It cost $225, required no proof of funds and was issued to me within 2 or 3 days of applying.

I have done this a few times, fly back to Sydney for a couple of weeks as a holiday and apply for a new one there.....never been an issue.

Yes they do.

I am literally looking at my Non "O' Visa that was issued in Sydney just over a year ago. It cost $225, required no proof of funds and was issued to me within 2 or 3 days of applying.

I have done this a few times, fly back to Sydney for a couple of weeks as a holiday and apply for a new one there.....never been an issue.

You got the non-o from a Thai embassy or consulate in Australia, you didn't get it from the Australian embassy in Bangkok. No Australian embassy (i.e. an Embassy representing Australia) can issue a Thai visa.
A Thai embassy in Australia is NOT an Australian embassy.
Try reading what was written before commenting.
Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Yes they do.

You got the non-o from a Thai embassy or consulate in Australia, you didn't get it from the Australian embassy in Bangkok. No Australian embassy (i.e. an Embassy representing Australia) can issue a Thai visa.
A Thai embassy in Australia is NOT an Australian embassy.
Try reading what was written before commenting.

Apologies, please forgive me for misreading where you had "of", as I glanced over it for some reason my mind took in "in". Which i obviously thought incorrect.

Again, please find it in your heart to forgive such an error.

So you're commuting to work from Thailand....to where exactly? This sounds very fishy to me so I can understand why you would suspicious glances at immigration. Hope it works out with the mutlientry. No-one's explained how you can get 9 months out of a 60 day multiple entry visa, is it one extension of 30 days and two renewals. Can someone please verify? Thx

Edited by Seraphina

So you're commuting to work from Thailand....to where exactly? This sounds very fishy to me so I can understand why you would suspicious glances at immigration. Hope it works out with the mutlientry. No-one's explained how you can get 9 months out of a 60 day multiple entry visa, is it one extension of 30 days and two renewals. Can someone please verify? Thx

Sounds fishy for what ??, this has nothing to do with my work,

I do not, have not, nor ever have worked in Thailand,

I use Thailand as my base to live, which is quite "Legal" as long as I abide by Thai law.

As I have explained before, on more than one occasion,

I do not qualify for the "30 day Stamp on Arrival" anymore, as I have used the system to my advantage, in such a way, that now, I must have a visa to be able to enter Thailand.

I was not "looked at with suspicion".

Once I leave Thailand, I can do whatever I wish, as my work has nothing to do with being based in Thailand.

I commute to wherever I need to, to carry out my work, which is on a worldwide basis.

My problem is, as I will explain again, is that when I left Thailand in May, I neglected to buy my Multi Entry Permit before I left,

My O-A Visa expires on the 8th of this month.

I wrote in to find out what my options were.

I have been informed, that if I wish to continue on with this particular Visa, as in keeping the Visa I have "alive", I will need to go back to Thailand , before it expires and buy my Re-Entry Permit.

Other than going with that option, I will have to go through the process again of Applying for an O-A Visa, or Multi Entry Tourist Visa, whichever I choose to go with, back here in Australia.

Just two more thing fella's, Will I have to have a return ticket to appease the Thai Authorities upon arrival, or for the airline I will fly with ??.

Also when I get back to Thailand, you say I can leave Thailand and come back anytime in the next year,

When I return, do I need to show proof of Income/800,000Baht?? and can i come back multiple times within the next year on that Re-entry permit??.

Cheers Maestro and Suradit69 for your time with this enquiry, and all the best to you both smile.png

Edited by kangaloowest

If you get a multiple re-entry permit you leave and re-enter as many times as you want. You do not need a return or onward flight when using a re-entry permit,

You only have to show 800k baht when apply for the the visa or extension of stay.

If you apply for the OA visa you will not need a re-entry permit for the first year you have it. Every time you enter the country you will get a new one year entry up to the date it expires. After it expires you will need a re-entry permit to keep the last one year entry valid when you travel.

• Like 1

If you get a multiple re-entry permit you leave and re-enter as many times as you want. You do not need a return or onward flight when using a re-entry permit,

You only have to show 800k baht when apply for the the visa or extension of stay.

If you apply for the OA visa you will not need a re-entry permit for the first year you have it. Every time you enter the country you will get a new one year entry up to the date it expires. After it expires you will need a re-entry permit to keep the last one year entry valid when you travel.

Cheers Ubonjoe Maestro & Sudradit69 :)

Your help with this matter has been invaluable, much appreciated :)

Similar situation I have been in Thailand for almost 10 years now, used to have the O type visa until they stopped issuing these from Hull Uk.

I have been coming in and out of Thailand only using the 30 entry stamp, oil game yes 4 x 4 so only in Thailand 27 days at any one time.

I was questioned on my last visit at the airport immigration: what's my proposal to Thailand? Why don't you have a visa, Do you have a Thai wife.

I visited the Immigration in Jomtien and explained my problem at the airport, was told as long as I don't overstay and leave before my exit date I did NOT need a visa.

Bit worried as I have a long term girlfriend, condo, car all that stuff, I have put the funds into Thai bank to start the retirement visa just a bit worried that they don't let me back in my next trip back end of this month.

Advice much appreciated

Similar situation I have been in Thailand for almost 10 years now, used to have the O type visa until they stopped issuing these from Hull Uk.

I have been coming in and out of Thailand only using the 30 entry stamp, oil game yes 4 x 4 so only in Thailand 27 days at any one time.

I was questioned on my last visit at the airport immigration: what's my proposal to Thailand? Why don't you have a visa, Do you have a Thai wife.

I visited the Immigration in Jomtien and explained my problem at the airport, was told as long as I don't overstay and leave before my exit date I did NOT need a visa.

Bit worried as I have a long term girlfriend, condo, car all that stuff, I have put the funds into Thai bank to start the retirement visa just a bit worried that they don't let me back in my next trip back end of this month.

Advice much appreciated

If you have the 800k baht in the bank already you could make a trip to Vientiane and get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over. You will just need to show your bank book. The 800k baht does not need to be in the bank any amount of time to apply for the visa.

Then you could get a re-entry permit for the 90 day entry from the visa and then apply for the one year extension when your return from your next trip.

It is highly unlikely that you will be denied entry at the end of the month even though you've already been questioned. When you next enter have your Thai bank passport handy and, if questioned again, explain that you will be applying for an extension of stay.

Getting a 1 year extension of stay would be your best option. When the extension has been issued you need to buy (same visit to immigration) a multiple entry re-entry permit. It costs 3,800 baht, and will allow you to come and go during the year without losing your permission to stay.

Ubonjoe,Elviajero

Thanks for your replies, take on board your advice appreciated.

Advice much appreciated

If you have the 800k baht in the bank already you could make a trip to Vientiane and get a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over. You will just need to show your bank book. The 800k baht does not need to be in the bank any amount of time to apply for the visa.

Then you could get a re-entry permit for the 90 day entry from the visa and then apply for the one year extension when your return from your next trip.