New Bangkok Bank UnionPay Debit Cards

41 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Today I opened a new savings account at the Hang Dong branch of Bangkok Bank. The lady tried to palm me off with a unionpay debit card to go with the account. I told her I don`t want it, I want a debit Visa card. She replied, sorry, bank no longer have. I told her, don`t believe it, all banks have Visa cards. Then I asked; can I make purchases online with the unionpay card? Lady said, don`t know. After a lot of haggling and refusing to back down, I insisted on having a debit Visa card. Then a miracle, I was presented with a debit Visa card.

Seems like the staff have been told to push the unionpay cards onto customers. Also according to the leaflet I picked up in the bank explaining in Thai about the new unionpay card, the fee is 599 baht a year whereas my Visa card is only 200 baht a year. Appears my stubbornness at the bank paid off.

The fee is 200 baht per year for Union Pay cards until June and then might rise to 300.  That 599 is a Siriraj Hospital card with accident insurance.

32 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The fee is 200 baht per year for Union Pay cards until June and then might rise to 300.  That 599 is a Siriraj Hospital card with accident insurance.

Thank you for clarifying this lopuri. The leaflet is all printed in Thai and I misunderstood what it meant. Still glad I got a Visa card instead, that will give time while the unionpay card irons out any problems.

Went to Home Pro yesterday in Khon Kaen and attempted to make what I feel is a major purchase. (a Panasonic refrigerator. The biggest one they had) The sales guy that works on commission spent quite a bit of time with me.  We decided on one and we made arrangements to have it delivered to my home. After all that, he said,  my paperwork would be waiting at the cashier when I was ready to check out. After a while the wife and I were ready to check out. After all was rung up, I presented my new ( a replacement card) Bangkok Bank Debit card. A Union Pay  card.  At that moment everything came to a screeching halt. The cashier, very apologetically stated that Home Pro does not accept Union Pay.  I could not believe it.  How could  Bangkok Bank, the largest bank in Thailand give me a card that is not accepted at Home Pro, one of my favorite stores?  I was kind of embarrassed at this point. Kind of like, how you feel when you don't have enough money to pay for your groceries and have to put some back.  I don't know why I should be embarrassed though. It was not my fault. If anything, I would think Bangkok Bank would be embarrassed knowing one of its depositors was being rejected after attempting to make a purchase using one of its cards. Not only that. The sales person was not going to make any commission.  So, next week. I will be going back to Bangkok Bank and insist they give me back my  Visa debit card. 
 And, to any of you coming up for a renewal on your Debit cards or if you inadvertently leave one in an ATM machine. Insist on getting another Visa card. Because after some research, I have found Union Pay is about worthless for anything other than making an ATM withdrawal.  

I had the same as this in HomePro I was told to go and get cash, a bit of a pain. We went in the bank the other day and they told me it should work in May. Rejected at Big C yesterday also, all a bit of a farce if the largest retailer's are not on board for who is?

Sent from my Studio G HD LTE using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Interesting to see this thread getting a few new posts now and then. 

Obtaining a Visa logo card might take some insistence, some branches more than others apparently, but worth the effort IMO.  Cards are supposed to provide convenience, especially one you have to pay an annual fee for.   I'm not interested in having a card that is not widely accepted.  Nor am I band wagon jumping crusader who enjoys the idea of poking a finger into greedy eye of Visa/Mastercard by supporting a Chinese / Thai bankster gang trying to grab market share via brute force.  The experience of having a bank employee pimp a card without full disclosure and in some cases, looking you in the eye while they lie through their teeth, doesn't inspire trust and confidence.

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, jackTheRipper said:

Damme! Just got one today. The guy asked if I wanted visa but that would require some days of waiting. 

Oh well. Mainly need atm, but feel sort of cheated :) 

Not really cheated.  You got bluffed by the bank because they have a selfish interest in UnionPay, and their interests trump yours any day of the week and twice on Sundays.  

If you have problems, go back and insist on a Visa logo card. 

• 1 month later...

I opened an account in Bangkok Bank, Phang Khon and was given a union pay card and I asked for a Visa card as I travel to the states and Europe, was told I could no longer get one, this may be problematic if you go to the states and want to withdraw your money from your thai account. Luckily I have a visa from Bangkok bank that is good until 2021. Also I saw someplace where they don't give Visa cards to anyone over 68.

On 6/12/2017 at 7:14 PM, nycjoe said:

I opened an account in Bangkok Bank, Phang Khon and was given a union pay card and I asked for a Visa card as I travel to the states and Europe, was told I could no longer get one, this may be problematic if you go to the states and want to withdraw your money from your thai account. Luckily I have a visa from Bangkok bank that is good until 2021. Also I saw someplace where they don't give Visa cards to anyone over 68.

Never heard of the 68 year old issue.

Bangkok Bank still showing Visa logo debit cards on their website, but they are at the bottom of the offerings.  Union Pay cards are at the top of the list. 

Your branch may not have had any Visa debit cards in stock.  But there's also a chance they had them and were simply lying to your face.

Return to the branch, don't get angry, insist on the Visa logo card.  If they attempt to put you off by saying there's a long wait for the card to be made (like 2 weeks), agree to that, and 2 weeks later, trade the UP card for the new Visa logo card.  :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Never heard of the 68 year old issue.

Bangkok Bank still showing Visa logo debit cards on their website, but they are at the bottom of the offerings.  Union Pay cards are at the top of the list. 

Your branch may not have had any Visa debit cards in stock.  But there's also a chance they had them and were simply lying to your face.

Return to the branch, don't get angry, insist on the Visa logo card.  If they attempt to put you off by saying there's a long wait for the card to be made (like 2 weeks), agree to that, and 2 weeks later, trade the UP card for the new Visa logo card.  :thumbsup:

They basically flat out refused me at two branches. I think they're pretty intent on making the switch.

I got myself a Kasikorn Visa and just use that instead now. The Bangkok Bank UnionPay is just a backup now.

• 3 months later...

Just went to BB Korat mall today

The story : Needed to check about Be 1st Visa card abilities 

? Can I use this overseas - Didn't get a clear answer till another women checked out my daily limit (150,000 ) - I, am in the belief that now I can but there was no mention of an activation

? Is this a Debit card - No straight answer - Just what was mentioned above (as I also explained could I buy airline ticket online - They said yes )

? Can I get a new one as this one is starting to deteriorate - Yes here's a Union Pay one , told her no want Pang & Mai Dee  

I want to keep Visa ! , but no have (couldn't work out whether she meant out of stock or just no do any more ( that was after waiting  listening to a man from BB information on the phone she rang )

? Can I have Internet Banking - This was the easiest bit as she led me out to a Atm & did it there

So I am just hoping all goes well as for the time I need to book an online ticket to Auss & hopefully will be able to use my Be 1st Visa to draw money out as since I can't activate my new Auss card online (Due to the inability to change phone number after logging into your account so they can send you an SMS )

PS: Also the Union Pay was only good for Thailand (Staff mentioned )

So after explaining the above I was gob smacked as to why they were offering a card only good for Thailand

To call it good for Thailand is a long stretch as other than for ATM use (which is fine) have only found Bangkok Hospital willing to accept for payment.  Believe they have a different version for use in China so perhaps that is what they mean.

3 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Just went to BB Korat mall today

The story : Needed to check about Be 1st Visa card abilities 

? Can I use this overseas - Didn't get a clear answer till another women checked out my daily limit (150,000 ) - I, am in the belief that now I can but there was no mention of an activation

? Is this a Debit card - No straight answer - Just what was mentioned above (as I also explained could I buy airline ticket online - They said yes )

? Can I get a new one as this one is starting to deteriorate - Yes here's a Union Pay one , told her no want Pang & Mai Dee  

I want to keep Visa ! , but no have (couldn't work out whether she meant out of stock or just no do any more ( that was after waiting  listening to a man from BB information on the phone she rang )

? Can I have Internet Banking - This was the easiest bit as she led me out to a Atm & did it there

So I am just hoping all goes well as for the time I need to book an online ticket to Auss & hopefully will be able to use my Be 1st Visa to draw money out as since I can't activate my new Auss card online (Due to the inability to change phone number after logging into your account so they can send you an SMS )

PS: Also the Union Pay was only good for Thailand (Staff mentioned )

So after explaining the above I was gob smacked as to why they were offering a card only good for Thailand

Bangkok Bank debit cards (i.e, the Visa and Union Pay cards you mentioned) can be used outside of Thailand as long as you use an ATM/POS machine that accepts Visa/UnionPay cards.   That going to be super easy for Visa; not as easy for UnionPay in many countries.

Visa is accepted about on every corner and mountain top in the world that accepts debit/credit cards; UnionPay kinda claim they can be used on about 70% of the corners and mountain tops of the world but that 70% claim is really it can be used in "some places" within about 70% of the countries in the world....if it can be used at one ATM/merchant in a country then UnionPay makes it sound like it can be used anywhere in that country.   Heck, you will find that the great majority of merchants in Thailand do "not" accept the Union Pay card.

Now whether an in-store or online merchant such as an airline will accept a "debit" card depends on the store/merchant...regardless of whether it's a Visa/UnionPay/Mastercard/etc., logo card.  Some merchants simply do not accept debit cards but gladly accept credit cards.

Bangkok Bank is still issuing Visa cards except the branches are pushing the UnionPay card "hard" since the UnionPay card is really a dual logo card consisting of the UnionPay logo and the TPN (Thai Payment Network) logo....Bangkok Bank and  UnionPay jointly own the TPN logo which is used within Thailand only....but the UnionPay logo can be used worldwide where accepted.   By pushing their dual logo  UnionPay/TPN card Bangkok Bank does not have to give Visa/Mastercard a cut of the profits from the card use....all profits stay with Bangkok Bank and UnionPay.    

To get a Visa card at most branches you will probably have to insist and say you are more than willing to wait approx 7 days for them to order the Visa card from Bangkok (but they probably have a small stock at the branch and will just have you come back in 7 days).   Many people are not willing or can't wait a week to get the Visa card so they succumb to accepting the UnionPay card.

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Bangkok Bank debit cards (i.e, the Visa and Union Pay cards you mentioned) can be used outside of Thailand as long as you use an ATM/POS machine that accepts Visa/UnionPay cards.   That going to be super easy for Visa; not as easy for UnionPay in many countries.

Visa is accepted about on every corner and mountain top in the world that accepts debit/credit cards; UnionPay kinda claim they can be used on about 70% of the corners and mountain tops of the world but that 70% claim is really it can be used in "some places" within about 70% of the countries in the world....if it can be used at one ATM/merchant in a country then UnionPay makes it sound like it can be used anywhere in that country.   Heck, you will find that the great majority of merchants in Thailand do "not" accept the Union Pay card.

Now whether an in-store or online merchant such as an airline will accept a "debit" card depends on the store/merchant...regardless of whether it's a Visa/UnionPay/Mastercard/etc., logo card.  Some merchants simply do not accept debit cards but gladly accept credit cards.

Bangkok Bank is still issuing Visa cards except the branches are pushing the UnionPay card "hard" since the UnionPay card is really a dual logo card consisting of the UnionPay logo and the TPN (Thai Payment Network) logo....Bangkok Bank and  UnionPay jointly own the TPN logo which is used within Thailand only....but the UnionPay logo can be used worldwide where accepted.   By pushing their dual logo  UnionPay/TPN card Bangkok Bank does not have to give Visa/Mastercard a cut of the profits from the card use....all profits stay with Bangkok Bank and UnionPay.    

To get a Visa card at most branches you will probably have to insist and say you are more than willing to wait approx 7 days for them to order the Visa card from Bangkok (but they probably have a small stock at the branch and will just have you come back in 7 days).   Many people are not willing or can't wait a week to get the Visa card so they succumb to accepting the UnionPay card.

Thanks for the info

As mentioned due to the fact that I cant activate my new Commonwealth bank of  Auss Savings / Master card I am now relying on my BBK Savings/Debit card (hopefully ) 

This is why I went into the branch to ensure I could do these things ( wont be convinced until I try since it is not a Credit or Master card 

Archived