New Bangkok Bank UnionPay Debit Cards

^ Thanks, Bit Coin, that was just extra identifier I suppose, only because my former Be1st Visa Debit/ATM was 4 digit. I don't think it's a PIN issue though.

For clarity, I've used the new Union Pay card twice at BB ATMs without a problem, but the last 3 attempts at 2 different BB ATMs since Friday, have resulted in the transaction timing out. This new UP card adds a new screen to the process, wherein after card/chip verification and PIN entry, a black background screen comes up with options for a TBD or TPD (I don't remember exactly) transaction on the left side of the screen, and "Union Pay Debit" on the right. The latter takes you to the normal, familiar BB ATM interface.

The 3 failed transactions never resulted in that unique Union Pay choice screen. It just hangs for about 1 minute, then goes to a black screen for about 10 seconds, then up comes the error screen. Wife says the Thai language says I didn't make a selection, although none was presented, and the transaction timed out.

On all 3 occasions, I've then used my wife's chipped Be1st Visa debit/atm card (same account), and it worked, no problems.

I'll be at the bank tomorrow to inquire, but was wondering if anyone else was having problems with the Union Pay card from Bangkok Bank.

I think the Union Pay card only has a chip. It may not work on all ATM's yet and that includes Bangkok Bank ATM's. November is the target date to have all ATM's working with chip cards.

I think the Union Pay card only has a chip. It may not work on all ATM's yet and that includes Bangkok Bank ATM's. November is the target date to have all ATM's working with chip cards.

I just looked, does have a mag strip on the back as well as the chip on the front, if that's what you meant. My previous card was a chipped Be1st Visa logo card and it worked at all the same ATMs I normally use, including the 2 that didn't work with UP card.

I changed my Union Pay card for a Visa Debit after half a day as many shops did not accept it for payment

Roger that, I'll be asking to do the very same thing tomorrow.

Visited my BKB branch yesterday with my Mrs in tow who I had witness the last failed ATM transaction so she could better explain what was going on, in Thai. The 3 bank employees who got involved would not believe what I/we were saying. One kid wanted to walk me to a nearby KTB ATM to try the Union Pay card. No idea what he was on about. Problem was with 5 of the 7 Bangkok Bank ATMs I routinely use, didn't work with the Union Pay card, on multiple occasions and all in the same way. After 10 minutes of this gaggle babbling in circles, I could see even wife was getting annoyed, so I finally held up my hand to the group. STOP!

1. The card doesn't work properly.

2. I no longer care why, or if you believe it or not.

3. I want a new, different card.

4. End of discussion////

He showed me a marketing pamphlet with the 3 kinds of cards on offer, including the blue color chipped Be1st Visa logo debit card, which is what I had before the Union Pay card. "Ok, I'll have THAT one again." "Mai mee. No hab."

So I got one of the "Rabbit" cards, Visa logo so happy with that. They had me program a 6 digit pin but 3 attempts failed to take, so my wife tried the same, didn't work. The lady then suggested we try a 4 digit pin, which worked first time, and we finally walked out of there 1 hour 15 minutes later.

The new card starts with a new menu which for normal ATM card use in Thailand you select TBA. Once that is done all should be normal and used today. As for payment to merchants currently UnionPay claims 70% in Thailand are on board - but being Thailand expect there will be some who never get the word.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBankThai/Documents/Site%20Documents/Be1st/Steps_Be1stSmartTPN_En.pdf

What's the point of switching to unionpay anyway? Does it have some unique benefirs?

I don't see it as more useful than my current visa debit and credit cards....

From reports here it seems to be make simple transactions more difficult or even impossible... Good old Thai Progress... :)

UnionPay is big in China. Yes, our influence really is waning.

When I saw Post #8, I said to myself it defies belief that the largest bank in Thailand is handing out ATM cards that don't work. Conversely, if they are, it won't be long until something is done about it. I don't know how many ATM cards Bangkok Bank hands out every day, but I do know that the number of foreigners receiving them is just a spit in the ocean.

OK today used BBL UnionPay card in SCB ATM for 20k cash with no issues - normal screen and processing using 6 digit PIN.

Later used for debit card payment at Bangkok Hospital - again no issues and was provided reader to key in PIN and also signed printed receipt.

The new card starts with a new menu which for normal ATM card use in Thailand you select TBA. Once that is done all should be normal and used today. As for payment to merchants currently UnionPay claims 70% in Thailand are on board - but being Thailand expect there will be some who never get the word.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBankThai/Documents/Site%20Documents/Be1st/Steps_Be1stSmartTPN_En.pdf

On the BB ATMs that didn't work, they did not display the TBA or UnionPay Debit selections. I think I said originally I had entered my PIN but I guess not, that comes after the UP/TBA selection screen.

I didn't know what TBA was the 2 times the UP card worked in BB ATMs, so I selected the other option "Union Pay Debit Transaction", and that took me to the normal Bangkok Bank ATM interface.

I've changed the card already but still, thanks for finding and taking the time to post the user tutorial link.

Believe that is because BBL also offers direct UnionPay in RMB facilities with another card - so when using the Thai ATM bank functions you need to make it clear you are using Thai Bank Account rather than international version. As said no such screen was displayed when using SCB ATM yesterday so it is likely something BBL has just had to provide when other banks started accepting chip cards.

I had forgotten my former Be1st Visa card in an ATM, which was the first time in my life I'd ever spaced out and walked away w/o my card, receipt, etc. facepalm.gif My wife stopped at the branch the following Monday or Tuesday on my behalf, told them what happened and they did the paperwork for a new card. I stopped in a couple hours later, signed the form and gave copy of PP/Bank book, and they handed me this UP card. Huh? Wasn't familiar with it but thought what the hell, as long as it works in ATMs, no big deal. I never use my Thai bank cards for debit/POS, internet or when traveling - it's just a local ATM for me.

When we went back to change out the Union Pay card, they were not offered or displayed on the mainstream ATM/Debit marketing pamphlet at the front desk - only the Visa log cards. As they processed my new Rabbit card, only then did I notice a somewhat obscure, small brochure holder off to the side of the desk about these Union Pay cards. It seemed like a niche card, why they gave me one in the first place, and were so obstinate about the fact it didn't work at all BB ATMs... who knows.

The ATMs outside the branch office worked as did a stand alone BB ATM at a big PTT not far away from the bank. The 2 BB ATMs in my town, about 8 kilometers away from the branch, didn't work, nor did the 2 BB ATMs in a very busy suburb I frequent near the city. All ATMs were part of my normal pattern, and worked with my previous, and my wife's current, blue color Be1st chipped Visa debit/atm cards.

I just figured it was some kind of software glitch or update required to handle the UP cards. At any rate, the new Rabbit card works fine in all the above ATMs I normally use. Life goes on.

• 1 month later...

As I mentioned above had no problem using for purchase at Bangkok Hospital - they claim 70% of merchants accept but suspect the number actually knowing how to process is a lot less (even in hospital some did not know).

In Thailand, UnionPay cards are accepted at 70% of merchants and almost all ATMs.

UnionPay services since January, 2005
Local service hotline 001-800-800-95516
001-800-12066-5999

http://www.unionpayintl.com/column/en/enCard/en_asia/en_Thailand/index.shtml

• 6 months later...

Went to Home Pro yesterday in Khon Kaen and attempted to make what I feel is a major purchase. (a Panasonic refrigerator. The biggest one they had) The sales guy that works on commission spent quite a bit of time with me.  We decided on one and we made arrangements to have it delivered to my home. After all that, he said,  my paperwork would be waiting at the cashier when I was ready to check out. After a while the wife and I were ready to check out. After all was rung up, I presented my new ( a replacement card) Bangkok Bank Debit card. A Union Pay  card.  At that moment everything came to a screeching halt. The cashier, very apologetically stated that Home Pro does not accept Union Pay.  I could not believe it.  How could  Bangkok Bank, the largest bank in Thailand give me a card that is not accepted at Home Pro, one of my favorite stores?  I was kind of embarrassed at this point. Kind of like, how you feel when you don't have enough money to pay for your groceries and have to put some back.  I don't know why I should be embarrassed though. It was not my fault. If anything, I would think Bangkok Bank would be embarrassed knowing one of its depositors was being rejected after attempting to make a purchase using one of its cards. Not only that. The sales person was not going to make any commission.  So, next week. I will be going back to Bangkok Bank and insist they give me back my  Visa debit card. 

And, to any of you coming up for a renewal on your Debit cards or if you inadvertently leave one in an ATM machine. Insist on getting another Visa card. Because after some research, I have found Union Pay is about worthless for anything other than making an ATM withdrawal.  

As I mentioned above had no problem using for purchase at Bangkok Hospital - they claim 70% of merchants accept but suspect the number actually knowing how to process is a lot less (even in hospital some did not know).

In Thailand, UnionPay cards are accepted at 70% of merchants and almost all ATMs.

UnionPay services since January, 2005
Local service hotline 001-800-800-95516
001-800-12066-5999

http://www.unionpayintl.com/column/en/enCard/en_asia/en_Thailand/index.shtml

I'm thinking the 70% is a typo based on posts I've seen so far....maybe the truthful figure is 7%.

• 3 weeks later...
Went to Home Pro yesterday in Khon Kaen and attempted to make what I feel is a major purchase. (a Panasonic refrigerator. The biggest one they had) The sales guy that works on commission spent quite a bit of time with me.  We decided on one and we made arrangements to have it delivered to my home. After all that, he said,  my paperwork would be waiting at the cashier when I was ready to check out. After a while the wife and I were ready to check out. After all was rung up, I presented my new ( a replacement card) Bangkok Bank Debit card. A Union Pay  card.  At that moment everything came to a screeching halt. The cashier, very apologetically stated that Home Pro does not accept Union Pay.  I could not believe it.  How could  Bangkok Bank, the largest bank in Thailand give me a card that is not accepted at Home Pro, one of my favorite stores?  I was kind of embarrassed at this point. Kind of like, how you feel when you don't have enough money to pay for your groceries and have to put some back.  I don't know why I should be embarrassed though. It was not my fault. If anything, I would think Bangkok Bank would be embarrassed knowing one of its depositors was being rejected after attempting to make a purchase using one of its cards. Not only that. The sales person was not going to make any commission.  So, next week. I will be going back to Bangkok Bank and insist they give me back my  Visa debit card. 
 And, to any of you coming up for a renewal on your Debit cards or if you inadvertently leave one in an ATM machine. Insist on getting another Visa card. Because after some research, I have found Union Pay is about worthless for anything other than making an ATM withdrawal.  

Wouldn't it have been quicker just to walk to the atm and get the cash out? Just a thought.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Today I opened a new savings account at the Hang Dong branch of Bangkok Bank. The lady tried to palm me off with a unionpay debit card to go with the account. I told her I don`t want it, I want a debit Visa card. She replied, sorry, bank no longer have. I told her, don`t believe it, all banks have Visa cards. Then I asked; can I make purchases online with the unionpay card? Lady said, don`t know. After a lot of haggling and refusing to back down, I insisted on having a debit Visa card. Then a miracle, I was presented with a debit Visa card.

Seems like the staff have been told to push the unionpay cards onto customers. Also according to the leaflet I picked up in the bank explaining in Thai about the new unionpay card, the fee is 599 baht a year whereas my Visa card is only 200 baht a year. Appears my stubbornness at the bank paid off.

Archived