Walkway collapse at market dumps tourists in the water

webfact

Walkway collapse at market dumps tourists in the water

s2p.jpg
Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- Twenty tourists and locals found themselves unceremoniously dumped in the murky waters at a 100 year old Bang Plee market on Sunday.

Two were injured in the collapse of a wooden walkway at the market near the temple of Wat Bang Plee Yai Nai south east of Bangkok, reported Daily News.

A ten meter stretch caved in. Locals helped the visitors to clamber out of the one meter deep water and assist them in looking for lost valuables. Two people were taken to hospital - Wiraya Panyawibun, 25 who hurt her right leg and a 25 year old Thai man with cuts on his body.

The Bang Plee municipal authority order the area closed pending an immediate inspection of the walkways in the market.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-04

If anyone has walked over that bridge like many others they can easily see it was in need of maintenance and repair. The same old here, don't fix it until is broken. Probably the farangs fault, as they are fat and made the bridge break. But seriously across society as a whole proper maintenance is required before its too late. luckily no fatalities, this time.

If anyone has walked over that bridge like many others they can easily see it was in need of maintenance and repair. The same old here, don't fix it until is broken. Probably the farangs fault, as they are fat and made the bridge break. But seriously across society as a whole proper maintenance is required before its too late. luckily no fatalities, this time.

Why would fatalities matter?

Every time it's the same, closure inspections and maintenance AFTER there is an accident and people are hurt. They don't seem to want to help them selvesblink.png

And, when was the last time there was any planned inspection of this area including the 'bridge'?

Would be good if there were some real investigative journalists (not reporters) who asked these types of questions and don't let go until they get answers and evidence.

Not going to happen in the near future of course, for at least 2 reasons:

1. Journalists / reporters are simple afraid for their personal safety, their lives, so they don't ask questions.

2. Current libel etc., laws which stifle such reporting.

Hey guys, where does it mention "farangs?" I can only see "tourists."

As for the "murky" waters, in the photos it doesn't look too "murky" but hey makes a good headline, ex Ed, from another site, would be proud, hhaving won an award for a sensationlised headline.

Hey guys, where does it mention "farangs?" I can only see "tourists."

As for the "murky" waters, in the photos it doesn't look too "murky" but hey makes a good headline, ex Ed, from another site, would be proud, hhaving won an award for a sensationlised headline.

Not many farangs vist the Bang Plee market, although it's a nice place. As for the quality of the water, there was an accident a couple of kilometres from Bang Plee a few years ago where a car drove into the same Canal. The driver, or was it one of the passengers, later died from the infections he got in his wounds from the polluted water.

Edited by zakk9

I was walking on a totally wrecked pavement avoiding the chance of falling or twisiting an ankle and did not notice the sharp corner of an unattended noodle stall sticking out just above my eye line... I cracked my head and sustained a thin 1 inch long cut.

I was raging with anger...My Thai GF walking ahead of me said the standard Thai response, "You do yourself."

A lesson that has never gone away. I take much more care going around and I have had sweet revenge on 3 occassions when the GF has cracked her bare toes or shin on furniture/motorbike. She now hates it more than me when I say that phrase to her.

So, when walking on any rough surface or crowded area I am on my guard.... but a total collapse would catch anyone by surprise.... but hey ...They did it by themselves....

An unfortunate incident, lucky none were seriously injured or worse.

Yes, this and all walkways should be constantly inspected and maintained to the highest international standards. Also, all bridges, roads, pathways, electricity lines, buildings, pools, balconies, stairways, etc, etc, etc. Also the inspectors should not be bought nor the police etc.

However, this would also bring a massive rise in wages and consumer costs much like a Singapore. So, why do most constant complainers on here not move to Singpapore?

If Thailand ever does evolve similarly (and one hopes it does for the future sake of the young), ironically most of the sExpats who cry foul the loudest and most often in Thailand would be off to the next cheapest 3rd world country which has cheap beer and girls on tap, nevermind the infrastructure nor rule of law etc.

Meanwhile, a quick Google scan shows multiple bridge collapses from Germany to England to USA just in the past 72 hours:

One dead, 15 injured in Autobahn bridge collapse

http://www.thelocal.de/20160616/autobahn-bridge-collapse-leads-to-one-death

Bridge collapse traps 500 people in West Virginia shopping plaza

http://www.kcwy13.com/content/news/?article=384275361

Eastham Bridge, near Tenbury Wells, simply collapsed

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2016/06/06/bridge-collapse-clear-up-begins/#LZbuOiPJMtQyxyc0.99

Edited by sujoop

Haven't been there for 4 years,even then I watched my footing on those walkways trying to walk above floor support beams,which were visible between the poorly secured flooring boards, when possible.

Why would fatalities matter?

The more fatalities the more grease applied to the wheel the stronger the government intervention. TOURISTS the GOLDEN egg layers have been hurt. There will be a scapegoat found no doubt who was in charge of inspecting or maintaining this walkway and he will be dealt with. As in the past problem solved.

Every time it's the same, closure inspections and maintenance AFTER there is an accident and people are hurt. They don't seem to want to help them selvesblink.png

And, when was the last time there was any planned inspection of this area including the 'bridge'?

Would be good if there were some real investigative journalists (not reporters) who asked these types of questions and don't let go until they get answers and evidence.

Not going to happen in the near future of course, for at least 2 reasons:

1. Journalists / reporters are simple afraid for their personal safety, their lives, so they don't ask questions.

2. Current libel etc., laws which stifle such reporting.

A bit more, I guess many folks have seen the subsequent photos with many people, including officials standing on the next piece of the bridge.

Obviously no thinking whatever about the possibility of overall weakness therefore more collapse.

Obviously no engineers / proper officials making any inspection to assess whether more of the structure is weak / could collapse, should be roped off until a proper inspection is made...

Analysis and anticipation - non existent - blame the education system mostly.

I've said it before, I'll say it again; this is in main the result of very incapable, no aligned experience, no commitment people being appointed to the top of pretty much all government agencies through 'forces'.

This is why Singapore Is a hundred years ahead and equal to, and better in some regards (just two examples: education and preventative health) than many so called 'first world' countries. Look at the top and the subsequent positions in all Singapore ministries, agencies, all operated and continuously improved by people with aligned knowledge, excellent past performance records and great attitudes to commitment and professionalism and close to zero corruption.

Edited by scorecard

In Thailand there is an old saying: 'Cure is better than prevention'.......whistling.gif

Edited by SunsetT

Yes, this and all walkways should be constantly inspected and maintained to the highest international standards. Also, all bridges, roads, pathways, electricity lines, buildings, pools, balconies, stairways, etc, etc, etc. Also the inspectors should not be bought nor the police etc.

However, this would also bring a massive rise in wages and consumer costs much like a Singapore. So, why do most constant complainers on here not move to Singpapore?

If Thailand ever does evolve similarly (and one hopes it does for the future sake of the young), ironically most of the sExpats who cry foul the loudest and most often in Thailand would be off to the next cheapest 3rd world country which has cheap beer and girls on tap, nevermind the infrastructure nor rule of law etc.

Meanwhile, a quick Google scan shows multiple bridge collapses from Germany to England to USA just in the past 72 hours:

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2016/06/06/bridge-collapse-clear-up-begins/#LZbuOiPJMtQyxyc0.99

Yeah, and your point is........? (biggrin.pnggiggle.gifwai.gif )

If I am not mistaken- while watching the Thai Video- one of the vendors states in Thai- that it has 'happened again'. If so, apparently falling walkways are a way of life. Interesting- they started to repair it immediately. Prior Experience? The whole walkway needs to be rebuilt with proper supports and tested for weight tolerance. Unless that happens- expect it again. It is the same reason while visiting the Crocodile Farm in Samut Prakan- I refuse to use the walkway that goes over the crocodile pit- You fall in on that one- and you might be dinner!!

The West Virginia bridge collapse did not do so out of poor maintenance. They had usually high amount of rain & flooding, erosion of the banks of the stream, and boom the bridge crashes into the water.

In Thailand there is an old saying: 'Cure is better than prevention'.......whistling.gif

Isn't it 'brief discussion of a cure followed by nothing'?

Yeah, and your point is........? (biggrin.pnggiggle.gifwai.gif )

Thanks for providing a case in point. Point being, most sExpats seem to not only want cheap beer, girls, accommodation etc, but also demand 1st world safety standards and infrastructure. Sorry Walter Mitty's but these things usually do not go together. Or the cost of which would be similar to living in Singapore (which is why most choose to live here).

BTW, just read your post contribution to 'Revelations of Aussie sex tourists in Thailand', most illuminating.

surprisingly happened without warning.

structural defects generally some tell tale signs

unless the stress went way high suddenly resulting in

failure.

this tends to happen when structures are constructed

illegally without proper engineering calculations or sub standard

materials.