Need Advice: What to Bring to Bangkok from US?

DaUke

I moved here from Texas about a year and a half ago. I hate living here, but I hope you'll like it more than I do. I'm also here for work and I live within walking distance of Central World.

I've been keeping a list of things I absolutely need to buy when I go back home later this year. Most of these are a lot cheaper in the states, especially during Christmas-time, than they are in Thailand due to excessive import taxes. Maybe this will help you on deciding what to bring. I wish I'd have known to bring more of these things when I first came.

SHOES AND SOCKS - The brands and styles I want are either impossible to find or ridiculously overpriced in Thailand. With size 13 feet, there's no way I can "go native" with shoes and socks. If you're bringing good wood/leather work shoes (like Allen Edmonds), be sure to also bring shoe supplies like shoe trees, a horsehair brush, extra strings and all those various oily substances which keep em looking new.

ELECTRONICS - I'll pick up a new smartphone, a new laptop for work and high-end components/peripherals for my gaming PC. These things are typically cheaper on amazon or newegg than anywhere in Thailand.

TOILETRIES - The replaceable parts for my philips sonicare toothbrush and philips norelco shaver are overpriced here. My cologne is also overpriced and my GF uses a specific toothpaste which isn't even sold here. Actually, this category is mostly for her. All her female stuff (lotions, cosmetics, lipstick, etc.) is pretty expensive so buying in the states can save hundreds of dollars vs buying here. You could easily "go native" with all your bathroom stuff, however, if you're not picky.

CLOTHING - Same as with shoes and socks. The brands, styles and sizes I want are either impossible to find or ridiculously overpriced in Thailand. I don't know about underwear, though. I could never understand why men would wear underwear. It's worth noting that getting clothing and shoes tailored or repaired is insanely cheap in Thailand.

ACCESSORIES - Leather belts, brand-name sunglasses and quality automatic watches are all cheaper on amazon than in Thailand. That said, you won't find anything back home like the 100% silk items (ties, pocket squares, lady scarves, etc.) sold by Jim Thompson in Thailand. If you're gay a fashionable male or female, you might also want to bring some fancy brand-name bags and wallets, too.

COOKWARE - My GF likes to cook and high-quality cookware is very expensive here. You don't actually need a kitchen, though. It's easy to eat out cheaply. What's hard is to limit your intake.

SUPPLEMENTS - I'm gonna raid a GNC when I get back.

PERSONAL ITEMS - Easily-concealed self-defense weapons. Pickled jalapenos. Stubb's BBQ sauce. A real cowboy hat. Guacamole. Beef jerky. Pecans. Pecan pie. Tequila.

I believe it's called 'hygiene'?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Wednesday, July 06, 2016 at 6:06 AM, DaUke said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone! To answer Crossy's question, I expect to live in BKK for many years. I don't think I want to store anything in the US, even for a temporary period. I want to embrace a minimalist life, but there are a handful of things I'll have to ship over, just too large or too much to bring on the plane.

Interesting to hear about cotton goods, underwear, a bed and pots/pans. Getting a bed was high on my list. I love what I currently have (Leesa Mattress), but it's a queen size. From what I saw, most apartments in BKK have king mattresses, but they are different than US sizes. Thinking about bringing a Cal King, since it's the same width, but 6" longer. I assume I'd probably have to bring a basic bed frame to put it on due to the extra length, but I'm 6'1", so it'd be a nice creature comfort to have.

If I bring beer/wine into the country on the container, it will get taxed at the port, correct? If so, how steep is that tax?

Bringing in beer and wine into the country? You cannot be serious!

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 5:15 AM, Hornyskunk said:

I moved here from Texas about a year and a half ago. I hate living here, but I hope you'll like it more than I do. I'm also here for work and I live within walking distance of Central World.

I've been keeping a list of things I absolutely need to buy when I go back home later this year. Most of these are a lot cheaper in the states, especially during Christmas-time, than they are in Thailand due to excessive import taxes. Maybe this will help you on deciding what to bring. I wish I'd have known to bring more of these things when I first came.

SHOES AND SOCKS - The brands and styles I want are either impossible to find or ridiculously overpriced in Thailand. With size 13 feet, there's no way I can "go native" with shoes and socks. If you're bringing good wood/leather work shoes (like Allen Edmonds), be sure to also bring shoe supplies like shoe trees, a horsehair brush, extra strings and all those various oily substances which keep em looking new.

ELECTRONICS - I'll pick up a new smartphone, a new laptop for work and high-end components/peripherals for my gaming PC. These things are typically cheaper on amazon or newegg than anywhere in Thailand.

TOILETRIES - The replaceable parts for my philips sonicare toothbrush and philips norelco shaver are overpriced here. My cologne is also overpriced and my GF uses a specific toothpaste which isn't even sold here. Actually, this category is mostly for her. All her female stuff (lotions, cosmetics, lipstick, etc.) is pretty expensive so buying in the states can save hundreds of dollars vs buying here. You could easily "go native" with all your bathroom stuff, however, if you're not picky.

CLOTHING - Same as with shoes and socks. The brands, styles and sizes I want are either impossible to find or ridiculously overpriced in Thailand. I don't know about underwear, though. I could never understand why men would wear underwear. It's worth noting that getting clothing and shoes tailored or repaired is insanely cheap in Thailand.

ACCESSORIES - Leather belts, brand-name sunglasses and quality automatic watches are all cheaper on amazon than in Thailand. That said, you won't find anything back home like the 100% silk items (ties, pocket squares, lady scarves, etc.) sold by Jim Thompson in Thailand. If you're gay a fashionable male or female, you might also want to bring some fancy brand-name bags and wallets, too.

COOKWARE - My GF likes to cook and high-quality cookware is very expensive here. You don't actually need a kitchen, though. It's easy to eat out cheaply. What's hard is to limit your intake.

SUPPLEMENTS - I'm gonna raid a GNC when I get back.

PERSONAL ITEMS - Easily-concealed self-defense weapons. Pickled jalapenos. Stubb's BBQ sauce. A real cowboy hat. Guacamole. Beef jerky. Pecans. Pecan pie. Tequila.

This list has to be a joke!

Mattresses in Thailand are very hard and stiff.  The only possible thing I recommend getting or bringing the 3 " air cool thing I have seen at Macy's and some other USA store. But you can buy that too once you get there.   Other than that, I would not bring a darn thing.  Laptop with a good voltage converter and your money and plastic cards.  So many places are furnished, especially the ones you rent for a few months or on any type of lease. Furniture and goods are a pain.  Duties, final pickup and delivery have been reported with many issues and the headache is not worth it.  Cut loose and make the move.   Make sure you have good mailing address or setup in the USA so that your future and expiring Debit cards, ATM, credit cards, things from the IRS or whatever, and things like that can continue to be sent to you and then forwarded by your friend, relative or whatever to you in BKK.

On 7/7/2016 at 3:20 AM, The manic said:

Silk neckties are as cheap as chips - as are handmade cotter shirts - large cotton sheets - Egyptian - the best are available - you can get anything made or modified - bring nothing but some clothes.

Pray tell, where are you going/who are you using to get Egyptian cotton sheet sets made in Bangkok?  And at what kind of prices?

Most of the sheets sold in the regular Thai stores are c**p..., though some of the higher end department stores do have decent cotton sheets, but at very high prices compared to what you'd pay in the U.S. for comparable sheets.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 7:51 AM, berybert said:

I think my father told me 2 jokes in my entire life time that made me laugh. I am now 54 years old and have always hoped I would never become an old man telling old man jokes but hope people would find them funny.

The so called jokes on this thread have confirmed my fears. Old people really shouldnt try and be funny because it just dont work.

This reminds me of a near-accident I almost ran into just around the block where I used to live in California. It was an area with a lot of retirement care homes, on the weekend you can see the cops lurking at all  sides of the intersection to catch drivers who were a bit slow in deciding whether to stop at the lights.

There was a shiny looking Porsche Carrera the kind with the tail flipping up in the rear in front of me at the left turn lane. When the light turned green it lurched up as expected and I was right not far behind. And then it got into a lower gear and almost stalled, I nearly rear ended it. When I got around I saw one one dapper looking senior, looking kind of confused, still fiddling with the clutch. Seemed like lots of money were  doing more harm than good in this case. I was thinking if he was not careful with the Porsche it might leave him sitting in a wheelchair soon.

We often see this kind of old-man jokes on this board, that have no humor, no redeeming value and don't make sense in regard to the OP question. I used to get incensed when I ran into one, but as old age creeps up - yeah me too - I reluctantly feel some sympathy towards them. I think the brain synapses (usually from those that have rather few to begin with) are starting to wither ie it's getting dimmed up there, however the fingers still can type...Guess we just have to wait until Parkinson kicks in and takes care of that.

Having said that I still laugh my a** off at the real good jokes/wisecracks coming from not few "so-called" old men on this board, those that prove that there's actually something to look forward to as you are getting old!:cheesy:

I am making my first trip home next month after 3 years abroad. First thing I'd do is rush off to Costco, put in an order for two more pairs of prescription glasses, fill up my shopping cart with cotton boxer shorts and t-shirts, load up with vitamins and health pills and then look around to see what is the best 17in laptop they have on display.

On the way home I'd stop by Rite-Aid and buy their entire stock of Trojan non-lubed condoms (boxes of 100) and swing by AAA to get my international DL as suggested on this thread!

And that will be just my first day back in "californialization"!:thumbsup: