"We still love Thailand" says US tourist after bag snatch and stabbing

webfact

"We still love Thailand" says US tourist after bag snatch and stabbing

s1z.jpg
Image: tnamcot

BANGKOK: -- A US girl said that she still loved Thailand even though she was stabbed during a bag snatch.

The attack happened earlier last month as Brook Alexis Dross,22, was walking alone in Pahonyothin Soi 8 in northern Bangkok,reported tnamcot.

And yesterday Brook and her mum came face to face with her attackers, a husband and wife team called Attathep Phromubon and Chalisa Mayaem.

On June 18th the wife was driving a motorcycle as the husband grabbed the America's bag. She resisted and he stabbed her on the body with a metal rod. They escaped with an iPhone 6, purse, credit card and some 600 baht in cash.

Attathep said in mitigation that they needed money for a deposit on a flat after being turned out of a home by a grandfather. They have a 5 month old baby to care for too, he said. He said he had picked up the rod outside the grandfather's home and didn't intend to harm the tourist but she had resisted.

However, this was not an isolated case - police found out that he had two previous cases of theft against his name.

Brook and her mother praised the Bang Seu police for resolving the case and getting the property returned saying: "We are still impressed with Thailand and love the country just like before."

Source: tnamcot

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-06

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And if this happened in the US would the tourist say we still love the USA , once never heard of a few years back , attacks on people in public in Thailand are increasing, CC fraud , murders, bombings , trying to find a safe holiday destination these days is like trying to win lotto, the Antarctic or Arctic are starting to look like alternative lifestyle destinations TAT .......................................coffee1.gif

She must be high. I cant think of anyone who would extol the virtues of a country when they have been stabbed. Or maybe it is because in the USA the police would have shot her

Edited by gandalf12

She must be high. I cant think of anyone who would extol the virtues of a country when they have been stabbed. Or maybe it is because in the USA the police would have shot her

Or maybe it's a polite response to a direct question "Do you still love Thailand?"

Childish banter, nothing more.

Seems this couple are habitual offenders. Glad the young lady wasn't seriously injured and takes a reasoned and mature for her age view of the incident, unlike many on here.

Most living here have never been victims of assault, mugging etc and probably feel safer here than in their own city 'back home'. However, the usual 'Thailand is the worst/most dangerous place on the planet' crowd will be banging away on their keyboards.

Meanwhile a quick Google search shows multitudes of muggings, stickups, robberies etc from England to Ireland to USA etc, etc in the past 24 hours, as always:

Woman, 81, hospitalized after SF Muni bus mugging

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Woman-81-hospitalized-after-SF-Muni-bus-mugging-8329421.php

Victim knocked out during violent mugging in Runcorn

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/victim-knocked-out-during-violent-11564852

Robbers Posing As Fundraisers Have Been Mugging Drivers In The Loop

http://chicagoist.com/2016/06/30/drivers_have_been_mugged_in_the_loo.php

Chef saves woman from Liffey after violent mugging

http://www.herald.ie/news/chef-saves-woman-from-liffey-after-violent-mugging-34850675.html

In a way it's good that these kind of stories are reported. On the other hand, even after decades of foreign visitors coming to Thailand, the only reason this seemed to be reported is because a foreigner was involved, thus reinforcing the old "us vs. them" rhetoric of Thailand. In other words, this made the news because it seems to damage the reputation of Thailand, as if the country's reputation hadn't already been in tatters a long time ago.

If a Thai person was the victim of a mugging in a western country, would it be reported (except maybe in the local news)? Would the media go on about how the attackers destroyed the reputation of [insert western country here]?

I'm simply curious, nothing else.

It's amazing how you guys always focus on the negative.

This thread is just another boring example of good police work by the Royal Thai Police being blithely ignored by TVF's armchair criminal justice experts, who prefer instead to endlessly repeat the same old hackneyed stereotypes which have been in circulation here since time immemorial.

"We still love Thailand" says US tourist after bag snatch and stabbing"

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. HL Mencken (an American).

i.e. Americans, as a group, are not especially intelligent and can be readily entertained or fooled to produce financial benefit for someone.

Light blue touch-paper and retire...

Winnie

Seems this couple are habitual offenders. Glad the young lady wasn't seriously injured and takes a reasoned and mature for her age view of the incident, unlike many on here.

Most living here have never been victims of assault, mugging etc and probably feel safer here than in their own city 'back home'. However, the usual 'Thailand is the worst/most dangerous place on the planet' crowd will be banging away on their keyboards.

Meanwhile a quick Google search shows multitudes of muggings, stickups, robberies etc from England to Ireland to USA etc, etc in the past 24 hours, as always:

Woman, 81, hospitalized after SF Muni bus mugging

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Woman-81-hospitalized-after-SF-Muni-bus-mugging-8329421.php

Victim knocked out during violent mugging in Runcorn

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/victim-knocked-out-during-violent-11564852

Robbers Posing As Fundraisers Have Been Mugging Drivers In The Loop

http://chicagoist.com/2016/06/30/drivers_have_been_mugged_in_the_loo.php

Chef saves woman from Liffey after violent mugging

http://www.herald.ie/news/chef-saves-woman-from-liffey-after-violent-mugging-34850675.html

Ah yes the " it happens everywhere excuse" but lets see now, whats the penalties handed out if caught, Thailand 500 baht.............England?

Robbery or assault with intent to rob Theft Act 1968 s.8 Life Armed robbery Theft Act 1968 s.8(1) Life Assault with weapon with intent to rob Theft Act 1968 s.8(2) Life Edited by kannot

....what sad excuses for humans.....and parents....

...problems what problems....

...same same.....

...infantile excuses and an apology make yet another violent crime go away....???

...jeez...

Nice couple.

Down on their luck so let's go rob and murder if we have to a tourist for a pittance.

Another contender for the pride of Thailand scrapbook.

This should be on the cover of TAT's magazine.... whistling.gif

"If you like to be robbed or stabbed by one or more of our lovely inhabitants, you are very welcome in Thailand.

You will be lucky to experience such happening as it occurs almost EVERY day..."

coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

Or maybe it's a polite response to a direct question "Do you still love Thailand?"

Childish banter, nothing more.

"Do you still love Thailand?? Tell me! Tell me!!" crazy.gif

Yeah yeah yeah!!! We still love Thailand. Lucky you ?. You're still alive.

i do NOT believe these Americans said that...

BS spread out by TAT/BIB/press.....

Trying not to loose face in the first place. coffee1.gif

Yeah yeah yeah!!! We still love Thailand. Lucky you ?. You're still alive.

And these two obviously love tourists, they never did this before, only a couple of convictions say otherwise, case over 200 bht fine get on with it.

It's amazing how you guys always focus on the negative.

This thread is just another boring example of good police work by the Royal Thai Police being blithely ignored by TVF's armchair criminal justice experts, who prefer instead to endlessly repeat the same old hackneyed stereotypes which have been in circulation here since time immemorial.

I agree 100%. And I congratulate these two women for not falling into the trap of generalization. Mugging happens everywhere, and sure it's a horrible experience, but condemning a whole country because of one unfortunate encounter with two rotten apples would show a massive lack of common sense. Mind you, it's done on a regular basis here on TVF, which is truly pathetic, and indicative of the average IQ on this Forum.

The average expat's stance seems to be : I live here and I hate this country, but I love to hate it and have no intention of leaving, because it's such a joy to spew my hatred on a daily basis.

Edited by Yann55