Sterling falls to new low against the dollar in Asia trade

webfact

Now the reality is upon us, this is why I favour no deal at all:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-eu-referendum-norway-single-market-could-the-norway-model-work-for-britain

The City of London is well protected. The WTO rules are as sufficient for us as they are for the many independent countries that trade with the EU. Personally, I would be surprised if anything other than the lowest possible tariff is applied, and even then with great fear from EU as UK will reciprocate.

Nice stuff. The empire died with Rhodesia didn't it,

I can't really answer your somewhat abstract postings.

UK doesn't have to do a deal. It is not necessary. All I am saying is that we can be a free 'normal' country doing what Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc, do. People are rushing to the idea that we must be in a single market but this simply isn't true.

Sorry, not old enough for the empire . Memories of Ian Smith doing something. Britain is not quite what it used to be. I seriously hope the farce will work out ok.I do find it a bit strange that the leave camp had no plan.

It was strange and frightening. This is interesting:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/10/brexit-vote-paves-way-for-federal-union-says-all-party-group

You do get the impression there has been a plan cooking away.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With England also out of EURO, ironically Andy delivers for the UK (great Scott;) The following tweet sums up appropriately:

Fiona-Natasha Syms (@fifisyms)

1 hour ago - View on Twitter

Andy Murray can you sort Brexit? Also can you be PM and Leader of the Opposition, England coach and do Top Gear?

It will climb again soon. The shock result still needs time to heal.

You were probably saying that when cable first dropped below 1.40. Those who say 'soon' should be buying GBPUSD (which they never do) but in reality its all whistling in the dark against something which wasn't meant to happen as predicted by the exit forum team.

It will only climb again any time soon, i.e. this year, if it becomes clear that the government is going to row back from Brexit and Britain ends up with roughly the same trade advantages it has now.

If Brexit goes ahead, then sterling will only climb again if Britain eventually gets all the global trade advantages the Leavers keep predicting; if that ever happens, it will be years down the line.

Meanwhile, my first post-vote pension payment came through today, down 10%, as expected. Thank you, Leavers, so nice of you: you were told this would happen, and it has.

Meanwhile, my first post-vote pension payment came through today, down 10%, as expected.

Another poor person, living hand to mouth in a foreign country.

My advice, save some money in the UK, plan your currency transfers to take opportunity of currency fluctuations.

Meanwhile, my first post-vote pension payment came through today, down 10%, as expected.

My advice, save some money in the UK, plan your currency transfers to take opportunity of currency fluctuations.

If currency traders could know for certain when the opportune moment arose to take advantage of currency fluctuations, they'd all be making money. And nobody would be losing money. But of course, that's impossible. Even George Soros gets burned sometimes in currency markets. And clearly sprq. does not even trade in currency and you're presuming he would know when to buy and when to sell?

The 'shock result' resulted in sterling falling and then stabilising.

The complete lack of any sort of leadership (as all the main political parties concentrated on in-fighting), is (IMO) the reason why sterling fell further a week or so later.

The complete lack of any sort of leadership (as all the main political parties concentrated on in-fighting), is (IMO) the reason why sterling fell further a week or so later.

And here he is, explaining it again

Edited by MissAndry

Another poor person?

Another poor person?

Andry's right to an extent. But if you have to rely on currency fluctuations to survive, that ain't a good plan. Big ticket items on highs, survival on lows. So 55+ (capital expenditure), 45 and less, survival mode.

I'm using this big dip to avoid all manner of expenditure demands from The Big Angry.

Another poor person?

Andry's right to an extent. But if you have to rely on currency fluctuations to survive, that ain't a good plan. Big ticket items on highs, survival on lows. So 55+ (capital expenditure), 45 and less, survival mode.

I'm using this big dip to avoid all manner of expenditure demands from The Big Angry.

Still not a reason to have a go at supposedly "poor" people.

Some people's advice is just a patronizing re-hash of their own personal circumstances. Mind you, anything to deflect from the current reality that sterling is 10%+ down. Me, enjoying the extra 10% sterling from changing HKD. Oddly enough, a partial recovery of sterling might be a possibility if Theresa May pushes Brexit Lite, but that would send the Brexit forum crowd here apoplectic. They want the real thing and sterling be damned.

Some people's advice is just a patronizing re-hash of their own personal circumstances. Mind you, anything to deflect from the current reality that sterling is 10%+ down. Me, enjoying the extra 10% sterling from changing HKD. Oddly enough, a partial recovery of sterling might be a possibility if Theresa May pushes Brexit Lite, but that would send the Brexit forum crowd here apoplectic. They want the real thing and sterling be damned.

Assume you misspelt. Brexit Lite? Is that like drinking lite beer and thinking you won't get pi$$ed?

Another poor person?

sounds like a poor person!!!

My advice........If you're living on or just below the subsistance line,staying back home is the smarter option.......

Another poor person?

sounds like a poor person!!!

My advice........If you're living on or just below the subsistance line,staying back home is the smarter option.......

^This.

Thailand's no place to be skint, especially as a foreigner.

and you're not thinking about yourself and want the UK people as part of the EU damned for your benefit?

Assume you misspelt. Brexit Lite? Is that like drinking lite beer and thinking you won't get pi$$ed?

Theresa May's appointment yesterday has pushed sterling up a bit so at least the hard Brexiteers on the forum have a little to console themselves with as they grit their teeth at yet another one of their erstwhile leaders falling off the back of a lorry (the reaction of IDS to the withdrawal was wonderful)

Edited by SheungWan

Now will people belive it was a storm in a tea cup as predicted the £ will be back and now it's in its way oh ye of little faith.

1 British Pound equals

46.23 Thai Baht

FTSE 250 has also regained to its pre-Brexit vote level.

Now will people belive it was a storm in a tea cup as predicted the £ will be back and now it's in its way oh ye of little faith.

1 British Pound equals

46.23 Thai Baht

Pump n dump and good opportunity to get out if your trading before next leg down

Nearly three weeks have past since the referendum. The result caused a shock waves. Things are starting to stabilize. It will take time but Britain will be a better country outside that failed corrupt dictatorship EU. More countries will follow. I see Germany people want a referendum, Maybe they don't like the idea they will have to find the short fall in cash required that Britain wont be paying any more.

So the good news is we have a new Prime Minister and the markets and the pound are jumping back. I believe article 50 will be implemented very soon and that will be better for the markets with further increases. Britain is going to thrive.

Edited by TommyUK1960

• 2 weeks later...

1 British Pound equals

46.23 Thai Baht

Your Hail Mary! invocations seem to be having little effect. Maybe you should change the teacups.

1 British Pound equals

46.23 Thai Baht

Your Hail Mary! invocations seem to be having little effect. Maybe you should change the teacups.

There is a recession on the way, possibly a very deep one, plus a possible constitutional crisis. But I really think England, Wales, and N.Ireland can weather this much better than either the EU or Scotland can.

1 British Pound equals

46.23 Thai Baht

There is a recession on the way, possibly a very deep one, plus a possible constitutional crisis. But I really think England, Wales, and N.Ireland can weather this much better than either the EU or Scotland can.

The EU will implode under a heavy worldwide recession, and we would've imploded with it had we Remained.

The EU will implode under a heavy worldwide recession, and we would've imploded with it had we Remained.

Theresa May has played a blinder by stalling for time over invoking article 50.

A euro 1.1 Trillion package of QE is about to come to an end in September. The dynamics of the playing field are about to change,

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ecb-policy-idUSKBN0KU2ST20150122

There are many who view this package as a last ditch attempt to save the euro.

1 British Pound equals

46.23 Thai Baht

Some people come out with stuff as if they were playing fantasy football. Worthless really. Better to concentrate on the real stuff: Today's PMI Index dropping to 47.7 from 52.4 putting greater pressure on BOE to drop rates next month. Sterling slipping again.

"Together with existing schemes to buy private debt and funnel hundreds of billions of euros in cheap loans to banks, the new quantitative easing program will release 60 billion euros ($68 billion) a month into the economy, ECB President Mario Draghi said."

EU gives cheap loans to banks ...... who then distribute them as expensive loans to the poor.

Seems like the EU is run for the benefit of rich bankers ............. or am I not understanding?

Lower interest rates and your currency loses value as everyone moves their money elsewhere.

Shouldn't the pressure be on the BOE to RAISE interest rates, and stop the slide ....... or am I not understanding?

Edited by MissAndry