Paid Gov. Health Ins. for Thai

johnnort

My wife has mentioned that there is a scheme to voluntarily pay into a Government Health Insurance. I guess it has to be similar to the UK Nat. Ins.. Thais in employment are enrolled, with employers paying 50% of the monthly subscription, as I understand. My wife has no job other than being a housewife, and although does work hard at that, I believe is not recognised as paid employment in Thailand. As should be the case in a 19 year marriage, my money is her money and v.v. and all accounts are joint, so no financial remuneration is given for just being a housewife. We are wishing for my wife to join and pay into this scheme voluntarily but do not know what Government Department to go along to to find further information. We live in Ban Chang, Rayong and in no way are referring to the 30 Baht Scheme. Does anyone have any knowledge to impart please.

"Thais in employment are enrolled, with employers paying 50% of the monthly subscription, as I understand."

That is Social Security. It is also open for many foreigners employed here. It would not be open for your wife if she isn't working.

I believe Social Security has a newer program that your wife might be talking about.

I looked into that a long time ago, maybe as much as two years?, but found that the coverage was fairly low.

I forget what it is called. I haven't heard about the program in quite a while.

I think your wife should contact the Social Security Office and ask them about this plan.

Good luck.

Terry

Thanks Terry. We will now have to find out where the Social Security Office is in Rayong and ask some questions. Even after living here for many a year I did not know there was such a thing as a Department of Social Security. Stupid of me really as there had to be.