Bts Brats

ourmanflint

Every time I get the BTS I am amazed that older people get up to let young brats sit down, as if they're oh so fragile, it makes me want to clip them round the ears and tell them it is they who should be standing not someone who has been working all day.

Is it just me, why do Thai people do this, is there something I don't know. I've never seen a school kid get up for an elderly person... never!!

Can someone explain

:o

Every time I get the BTS I am amazed that older people get up to let young brats sit down, as if they're oh so fragile, it makes me want to clip them round the ears and tell them it is they who should be standing not someone who has been working all day.

Is it just me, why do Thai people do this, is there something I don't know. I've never seen a school kid get up for an elderly person... never!!

Can someone explain

Thai people feel that children are more likely to fall over; not have anything to hold onto etc, and are therefore offered a seat.

A particularly old person might get offered a seat too, as would a monk. But a child would not get up to offer a seat to an elderly person; the other passengers are able to do that.

Speeds up entry and exit (in theory) and the handles are mostly well above a child's height in BTS and in buses as well.

Where I grew up, at school I was expected to stand and offer a seat for any woman (other than another student) or anyone disabled but not for an elderly man (unless he was particularly old).

Different country, different rules.

Can someone explain

In a country where everyone dotes over children?

You figure it out!

That said, I don't really see what it has to do with the price of fish. In OZ as children we were taught to stand up for people on the tram/train/bus. Yet, it doesn't translate into the type of respect that Thai's traditionally give to elders in all other facets of life.

Can someone explain

:D

That's a simple one :o

In the BTS the aircon is installed over the windows, sitting on the seats with a sweaty backside will give you <deleted>**ing backpains from the cold air blowing on your wet back :D .

The best thing one can do: Offer your place to the next little monster who enters the skytrain :D

That's a simple one :o

In the BTS the aircon is installed over the windows, sitting on the seats with a sweaty backside will give you <deleted>**ing backpains from the cold air blowing on your wet back :D .

The best thing one can do: Offer your place to the next little monster who enters the skytrain :D

Dear little 20 year old female child with the large bust, and impossibly tight white student shirt.

Please sit in this seat, and let the cold climate cause a natural bodily reaction in the torso area, and perhaps also consider letting the warmer air around your legs cause a perfectly natural desire to rid that area of excess clothing.

And then perhaps please allow me to have sexy explosion and happy time high faaaaaive.

Can someone explain

Problem is that as nice as the BTS is, it's not exactly easy for children to find a proper hold. I do get up for old people, pregnant women and young children, and i expect that people get up for me when i am with my son who's just short of two years old. Generally people do that, fortunately.

I've never understood this one at all either. Basically anyone with a student uniform on gets a seat--as do mothers with quite small ones. Students are much more dexterous and nimble and have spent the entire day sitting on their bottom in a classroom. I do not stand up for them.

I do not stand up for them.

Obviously you must be of that subforum persuasion (not that there is anything wrong with that) OR you aren't on the at the time of train loads of Bangkok U and ABAC students going to Siam/Central World/Gaysorn.

I know I experience some standing sometimes.

Ten-HUT!

Why not just invite them to sit on your lap? :o

Ten-HUT!

Why not just invite them to sit on your lap? :D

Offers extended in this fine country are not always accepted for whatever reason.

I blame the influence of the western media, increase in VISA regulations and the 2am closure for the increasing numbers of young students unwilling to tolerate my leering and crude advances.

Maybe I should start my own thread on this subject; why are a decreasing number of attractive ladies turning down my inept advances compared to previous years?

:o:D

I guess that is one of the worst aspects of being a wealthy industrialist; since purchasing my own vehicular transportation and since engaging in a formal carnal relationship with one woman as expected by clients and colleagues to minimise rumours of being part of that sub forum (not that there is anything wrong with it), my night life activities and meeting members of the opposite sex activities have been reduced to non existant.

Ironically, i am also saving money like crazy.

I may write a letter of complaint to BKK Post. :D Or revert back to my prior life as a slum dwelling broke back mounter.

STOP PRESS

Yes, exactly like the ringtone ad; I could easily be one of the 'ai hern' watching in that BTS clip. :D:D:D excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS8P1vxYvsg

Or I could be one of the people shot by Four Mod; I wouldn't mind that fate either.

Edited by steveromagnino

I seem to see more 10-12 year olds being offered seats and that was the age range I was really talking about, I perfectly understand the need to let a much younger and therefore smaller child sit down, but a healthy 10 year old??? Live and let live!

I agree. I understand the very young child needing the seat to prevent falling over, but not the able bodied 10 year olds upwards. It's just daft, and I don't give up my seat to them. On the subject of daft things on the BTS, what's with the TV, blaring adverts etc. I thought there had been such an opposition to this, that the BTS had agreed to withdraw them. They seem to be ever more prevalent.

I understand the very young child needing the seat to prevent falling over, but not the able bodied 10 year olds upwards. It's just daft, and I don't give up my seat to them. On the subject of daft things on the BTS, what's with the TV, blaring adverts etc. I thought there had been such an opposition to this, that the BTS had agreed to withdraw them. They seem to be ever more prevalent.

er. ok. Let's make it easy.

Rule 1:

If you want to stand up and offer your seat, then do so.

Rule 2:

If you don't want to stand up and offer your seat, then remain seated.

Rule 3:

If you are confused as to whether you should stand up or stay seated, then make a decision and refer to rule 1 or 2.

Rule 4:

If you are happy and you know it, clap your hands

Rule 5:

If you want to make the trip more pleasant for the people around you, standing or sitting is not the biggest deal. For most travellers, perhaps consider; showering, wearing clean clothes, not talking in a loud voice to friends or on mobile phone, not standing, wearing deodorant, taking care not to have someone elses face nestled in your armpit, brushing teeth, not engaging in gratuitous nose picking, being a hot 20 year old university student to provide eye candy for the ai rokjits amongst us (female, or an approximation of female)

Rule 6:

If you are the person that pushed me in the back yesterday getting on at Nana, then going to Asok; please be aware that next time the train comes every 3 minutes. I can assure you that Soi Cowboy will not be shut at 7.06pm; therefore feel free to wait for the next train rather than putting your smelly paws all over my (up until then) clean and non smelly burberry shirt.

I agree, the TV ads are a pain in the neck. To show my total anger at the ad intrusions, I have made a point not to email BTS with my complaint, not to write a letter to any newspapers and not to speak to any management staff. Instead, I just stare at the floor.

Can someone explain

Thai people feel that children are more likely to fall over; not have anything to hold onto etc, and are therefore offered a seat.

A particularly old person might get offered a seat too, as would a monk. But a child would not get up to offer a seat to an elderly person; the other passengers are able to do that.

Speeds up entry and exit (in theory) and the handles are mostly well above a child's height in BTS and in buses as well.

Where I grew up, at school I was expected to stand and offer a seat for any woman (other than another student) or anyone disabled but not for an elderly man (unless he was particularly old).

Different country, different rules.

Where I grew up of course we offer seat for old/pregnant people. But a say 60 but healty woman/man would feel insulted when getting a seat (beside it is from a very young child). Else they would ask, do I really look that bad, that I can't take care of myself.

Actually I personaly would not see a reason to let a monk sit, but OK here it is culture.