Thai Airways Blamed For Near-miss Incident

sriracha john

THAI blamed for near-miss over SKorea

SEOUL - Twenty-one people aboard a Taiwanese plane were injured Thursday when it was forced to change course to avoid another aircraft while approaching South Korea's Jeju island, airline officials said.

Nineteen of them needed hospital treatment and three are still in hospital including one with a brain haemorrhage, medical staff said.

The accident happened when a Boeing 757 operated by the Far Eastern Air Transport Corporation was approaching the southern resort island.

Airline spokesman Chang You-peng said the plane was told by flight controllers to reduce altitude from 35,000 feet to 34,000 feet.

But an alarm designed to avoid airborne collisions went off, prompting the pilots to make an emergency descent for around 10 seconds, Chang told AFP in Taipei.

"The pilots said they suspected it was a Thai jetliner flying nearby on the same altitude," he added, praising their "correct and proper" handling of the incident.

The pilots had no time to warn passengers of the sudden descent, Chang said, adding that 16 passengers and five crew were injured out of 129 passengers and eight crew members on board.

Agence France-Presse

FLIGHT EXPERTS LEAVE FOR SOUTH KOREA TO HELP INVESTIGATE ACCIDENT

Taipei - Flight safety experts left for South Korea Thursday to help investigate a flight incident involving a Taiwanese aircraft that led to a score of injuries earlier in the day.

- Central News Agency (Taiwan)

==============================================

lik-Cheju.gif

Jeju Island off the southern coast of South Korea

Cheju_Island.gif

Jeju Island

Edited by sriracha john

Let's see........

Both aircraft are over 18,000 feet, so this means that they are under IFR rules and under control of Air Traffic Control.

Unless there was a fault with the altimeter on the Thai Airways Airliner and the ATC was sleeping, there is absolutely no blame for Thai Air. The transponder onboard would have been showing the true aircraft altitude on the ATC screen and the controller should have the pilot Ascend or Descend to the correct altitude.

Regardless of the above, there obviously wasn't enough Vertical or Horizontal seperation for the aircraft, again this is the fault of ATC.

the first question that comes to my mind is whether or not the injured travelers had their seatbelts fastened? I don't really see how one can get such serious injuries if they were strapped in properly.

Am I missing something here?

the first question that comes to my mind is whether or not the injured travelers had their seatbelts fastened? I don't really see how one can get such serious injuries if they were strapped in properly.

if the seat belt sign is off then????????

Yeah. You know, when the seat belt light goes off and the captain announces that you're now free to move about.

or do thai pilots fly planes the same way that they drive cars and motorcycles ?

Stupid comment. Not all aircraft are fitted with TCAS, and I agree with the other OP about ATC. If you dont know what ur talking about, best keep quiet.

still a scary situation/near miss what were ATC doing?

or do thai pilots fly planes the same way that they drive cars and motorcycles ?

Stupid comment. Not all aircraft are fitted with TCAS, and I agree with the other OP about ATC. If you dont know what ur talking about, best keep quiet.

still a scary situation/near miss what were ATC doing?

perhaps... post-9005-1163695171.gif

Asleep on the job post-9005-1163695171.gif

Air-traffic controller for Charleston area dozes off post-9005-1163695171.gif

http://charleston.net/assets/webPages/depa...x?NEWSID=115355

post-9005-1163695171.gif

I must admit to getting a little worried at times when I hear the English skills of some TG pilots...

must admit never really heard the thai language skills of air nu zuland pilots.

seriously one of the flying officers must be able to communicate in english.

I must admit to getting a little worried at times when I hear the English skills of some TG pilots...

must admit never really heard the thai language skills of air nu zuland pilots.

seriously one of the flying officers must be able to communicate in english.

How about the whole lot.That would make me feel better.When I hear what seems like broken English on the pa, I think.."how the hel_l do these buggers communicate with the tower? :o

Flying Air NZ bloncs?I thought you had more sence than that....

a fair percentage of Thai Airways pilots are of non thai nationality, folks, including English, Australian and americans

I would say a percentage are and on international routes mainly

Never struck one yet.

You would be doing time if you did chucky :o

Think about it.......

ATC in this instance would be a Korean attempting to speak English to a Thai & Chinese who in most probability are not native English speakers themselves.

The system isn't perfect, but when you review the stats is incredibly safe, even when dealing with the language barrier. With the collision avoidance systems now installed, language isn't nearly as important as in the past.

Edited by Diablo Bob

Why would you?

I've spanked a stewardess or two though!

Chuch... nice signature..

Yes, I used to be quite fond of an Ansett stewardess.She was a great sport. :D

Now I wonder if the Thai pilots get up to as much mischief as say the air NZ or quantas pilots used to.....in the biblical sence that is... :o

Think about it.......

ATC in this instance would be a Korean attempting to speak English to a Thai & Chinese who in most probability are not native English speakers themselves.

The system isn't perfect, but when you review the stats is incredibly safe, even when dealing with the language barrier. With the collision avoidance systems now installed, language isn't nearly as important as in the past.

doesnt matter what first language is for pilots or atc, the language of communication is english, simple.

why didnt the alarm on the thai airways jet sound an alarm as well ?

how come the thai jet didnt have to take avoiding action ?

Tax why are you always so negative about the Thai's ?

As a retired airline pilot I fail to see what the Thai or the Korean crew did wrong, I would look closer at the performance of ATC who should have realized that they had two aircrafts at the same Flight Level, and have given instructions to the crews to alter level or heading early.

THAI Clarification on Flight TG 659 incident

Today (16 November 2006), in clarification to news that an aircraft of Far Eastern Air Transport from Taiwan avoided an incident with Thai Airways International aircraft.

the Corporate Communications Department of Thai Airways International Public Company Limited provides the following clarification.

Far Eastern Air Transport of Taiwan, Flight EF 306 routed from Taipei, Taiwan to Jeju, South Korea, at 11.00 hrs. (Korean local time) THAI's pilot-in-command was notified of communication between Far Eastern Air Transport and the air traffic control of South Korea, which advised that Far Eastern Air Transport should descend according to the order given by air traffic control as a sick passenger was on board.

According to air traffic control instructions, THAI's aircraft, TG659 routed Seoul - Bangkok, was flying in its right position with lateral and vertical navigation at 34,000 feet above South Korean airspace and the air traffic system on board THAI's airplane indicated a warning (TCAS) that another airplane was approaching. THAI's pilot-in-command followed the procedure indicated by TCAS system and operated the flight as usual and landed in Bangkok at 13.40 hrs.

In addition, THAI's flight TG659 utilizing Boeing 777-300 routed Seoul - Bangkok departed Seoul at 09.50 hrs. (Korean local time) arrived Bangkok at 13.40 hrs. with 356 passengers and 20 aircrews.

Think about it.......

doesnt matter what first language is for pilots or atc, the language of communication is english, simple.

Yes and No.......

The rules actually state that both ATC and the pilots must be able to speak English, but if a pilot chooses to address ATC in his own language in his own country that is totally permissible. This is permissible if there are no other aircraft in communication with that particular controller. ALL advisory or warnings are required to be made in English......

Think about it.......

Yes and No.......

The rules actually state that both ATC and the pilots must be able to speak English, but if a pilot chooses to address ATC in his own language in his own country that is totally permissible. This is permissible if there are no other aircraft in communication with that particular controller. ALL advisory or warnings are required to be made in English......

point taken, but in effect english is it.

Think about it.......

Yes and No.......

point taken, but in effect english is it.

I might be mistaken, but it seems to me that up into the late 50s or maybe early 60s it was either French or English......... scary! French can't talk without moving their arms...... whose holding the yoke?

As a fairly restricted vocabulary is needed for communications in these circumstances I would have thought that fluency in English is not necessarily required?

captain:ladar says turn light or reft towern?

Tower:right

captain:you mean left, right?

tower:light

Captain:I thought we were over weight?