Charter voting registration ends today; only one percent signs up

webfact

Charter voting registration ends today; only one percent signs up
By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

201606231053342-20021028190244-768x512.j
Soldiers on June 23 walk around Phitsanulok city center urging people to vote in the Aug. 7 referendum.

BANGKOK — Organizers of the upcoming referendum, in which millions of Thais would decide whether to accept or reject a new constitution, were dismayed to find that only a fraction of those voters signed up for voting outside their hometowns.

Although there are 20 million Thais living outside their registered residences, only 230,000 of them – or around one percent – signed up to be eligible for voting by Thursday, which is the last day of registration, Election Commissioner Sawaeng Boonmee announced.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/07/07/charter-voting-registration-ends-today-one-percent-signs/

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-07-07

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilarious, i guess the other 99% have had happiness brought back to them already. Of course the danger is the junta might argue Thais are not interested in democracy, they are if their vote will count for anything, this is just a waste of time

Now where could that apathy be coming from?

The truth is, Mr. Happy Face Friday Evening and His Friends, are not going away, regardless of the vote outcome. Perhaps the Thai people are being rational.

Exactly. Why would they feel anything but apathy for a rigged referendum?? If they vote yes then the old elite will retain power forever over lame duck elected governments, and if they vote no then will stay on anyway.

Tell me halloween: What exactly is it that should excite the population of Thailand regarding this referendum? The referendum mascot? The "PM"s rousing songs???

The truth is, Mr. Happy Face Friday Evening and His Friends, are not going away, regardless of the vote outcome. Perhaps the Thai people are being rational.

Exactly. Why would they feel anything but apathy for a rigged referendum?? If they vote yes then the old elite will retain power forever over lame duck elected governments, and if they vote no then will stay on anyway.

Tell me halloween: What exactly is it that should excite the population of Thailand regarding this referendum? The referendum mascot? The "PM"s rousing songs???

Galling isn't it, that they trust their military to do the right thing by the nation much more than the criminals they elect?

Galling isn't it, that they trust their military to do the right thing by the nation much more than the criminals they elect?

They do?? How do you figure that? Has there been an election I missed that proved your rather laughable statement? Or did you just pull it out of a certain place?

You see, to me it isn't galling at all if the Thai population elects to be ruled by the military. What's galling is that the military prevents them from doing so.

Thaksin is back in Thailand and negotiating with the army as we speak.

He isn't, of course, but as it seems to be open season on just making things up to suit oneself...

There's something off with this article.

Around 51 million Thais have the right to vote as of May 2016. According to this article, there are 20 million Thais living outside their registered residence or about 1 in 3 who live outside their registered residences?

In the 2011 General Election the number of Thais living abroad who registered to vote was about 147,000. This article cites 230,000 Thais living outside their registered residence. Maybe this actually relates to Thais living overseas and not within Thailand?

They do?? How do you figure that? Has there been an election I missed that proved your rather laughable statement? Or did you just pull it out of a certain place?

You see, to me it isn't galling at all if the Thai population elects to be ruled by the military. What's galling is that the military prevents them from doing so.

Keep singing your one note song. If it isn't "election" it's nothing.

The junta has been encouraging people to read the new charter, to register to vote, and to vote, without propagandists getting to spew their crap. I explain their indifference by trust, whereas you don't seem to have an explanation.

BTW the election will be after the new charter is installed. The junta won't be on the ballot. And yes, I would rather see anybody else running this country than a venal career criminal. Why you ignore his crimes because he is popular is the mystery.

The junta has been encouraging people to read the new charter, to register to vote, and to vote, without propagandists getting to spew their crap. I explain their indifference by trust, whereas you don't seem to have an explanation.

BTW the election will be after the new charter is installed. The junta won't be on the ballot. And yes, I would rather see anybody else running this country than a venal career criminal. Why you ignore his crimes because he is popular is the mystery.

Doesn't the charter virtually guarantee that the military are ensured of a large number of seats as it is,and after any "election" they will have a form of veto over any government that may be elected so they hardly need to be on the ballot as they will basically still be retaining power?

" The junta has been encouraging people to read the new charter, to register to vote, and to vote, without propagandists getting to spew their crap."

Yes, they have been very encouraging in making sure a vigorous public debate has taken place, where they have encouraged all aeguments for and against the charter to be heard.

555555555! Do you even believe the <deleted> you're posting??

" I explain their indifference by trust, whereas you don't seem to have an explanation."

Uh, did you read my post at all? Try one more time and if you,re still unable to grasp what I wrote I will send you a PM.

" BTW the election will be after the new charter is installed. The junta won't be on the ballot. "

Why on earth would they be on the ballot since the suggested charter will ensure they will remain in power anyway???

Thai constitutions are completely worthless. The military rip them up and then take years to rewrite new ones whenever they feel like it.

Voting in Thailand is a waste of time. Why would anyone bother?

" The junta has been encouraging people to read the new charter, to register to vote, and to vote, without propagandists getting to spew their crap."

Yes, they have been very encouraging in making sure a vigorous public debate has taken place, where they have encouraged all aeguments for and against the charter to be heard.

" I explain their indifference by trust, whereas you don't seem to have an explanation."

Uh, did you read my post at all? Try one more time and if you,re still unable to grasp what I wrote I will send you a PM.

" BTW the election will be after the new charter is installed. The junta won't be on the ballot. "

Why on earth would they be on the ballot since the suggested charter will ensure they will remain in power anyway???

It's called making up your own mind, not listening to others who might be biased, if not paid to spread misinformation. How do you have a vigorous public debate and exclude propagandists?

Oh your claim that the election will be rigged? Which explains the thousands taking to the streets in protest, or not. You see, if they don't care to vote because the referendum is rigged, and the don't bother to protest that rigging, then it seems obvious that they don't care IF it is rigged. Didn't that occur to you?

Remain in power? That's one way of looking as stopping the Shinawatras from gaining it again.

"I would rather see anybody else running this country than a venal career criminal. Why you ignore his crimes because he is popular is the mystery."

Please be clear, are you referring to the current government or an earlier one? If you mean the current government, his popularity is open to debate.

I am not suprise. Just show the EC did a damn lousy job in organizing the voting registration. None of my Thai friends heard about this. Nothing much promoted on air or print. EC has yet to demonstrate that they can organize anything successfully. Perhaps it's planned to have low voter turnout as it will certainly favour the "yes" result.

Doesn't the charter virtually guarantee that the military are ensured of a large number of seats as it is,and after any "election" they will have a form of veto over any government that may be elected so they hardly need to be on the ballot as they will basically still be retaining power?

Halloween must have missed that part of the constitution during their ra ra ra junta meeting he had with his other 3 junta lovers.

Big group, they are.

It's called making up your own mind, not listening to others who might be biased, if not paid to spread misinformation. How do you have a vigorous public debate and exclude propagandists?

Oh your claim that the election will be rigged? Which explains the thousands taking to the streets in protest, or not. You see, if they don't care to vote because the referendum is rigged, and the don't bother to protest that rigging, then it seems obvious that they don't care IF it is rigged. Didn't that occur to you?

Remain in power? That's one way of looking as stopping the Shinawatras from gaining it again.

" It's called making up your own mind, not listening to others who might be biased, if not paid to spread misinformation. How do you have a vigorous public debate and exclude propagandists?"

So only in Thailand can there be no public debate because of "propagandists". Tell me, should we do the same in the west?

Listening to others who might be biased??? How many people do you think are unbiased? The junta?

" Oh your claim that the election will be rigged? Which explains the thousands taking to the streets in protest, or not. You see, if they don't care to vote because the referendum is rigged, and the don't bother to protest that rigging, then it seems obvious that they don't care IF it is rigged. Didn't that occur to you?"

What DID occur to me was that there is a junta in power that has made it illegal for groups of more than five people to gather.

I will not ask if that occured to you because sadly I know the answer.

He just doesn't get it, nor will he ever get it, so why bother my friend.

He just doesn't get it, nor will he ever get it, so why bother my friend.

True, so true. I just have a lot of time on my hands today:) But I must admit that having a small group of junta fanatics om the forum spices things up a bit.

"It's called making up your own mind"

Don't you think the Thai people should be allowed to listen to arguments both for and against the charter and then make up their own minds? After all from what little we hear it seems that both the dems and PT are against the charter. If the PM is so confident in the charter it should withstand debate.

I understand your hatred of the Shinawatras. If I had my vote they wouldn't be my first choice but they were the choice of the Thai people many times over. That was when they were allowed to make their own minds up and not be dictated to at the barrel of a gun/tank.