Shots fired at Dallas protest over fatal police shootings

webfact

Shots fired at Dallas protest over fatal police shootings
TERRY WALLACE, Associated Press

DALLAS (AP) — Multiple media outlets report that shots were fired Thursday night during a Dallas protest over two recent fatal police shootings of black men.

The gunfire broke out around 8:45 p.m. Thursday. Live TV video showed protesters marching along a street in downtown, about half a mile from City Hall, when the shots erupted and the crowd scattered, seeking cover. There was no immediate word on whether anyone had been injured.

Scores of police and security officers were on hand. Police and others hunched behind cars outside a parking garage. Officers with guns drawn were running near and into the parking garage as police searched for the shooter.

A police dispatcher reached by The Associated Press had no immediate comment. A spokesman for the mayor said he no information he could share. Firefighters and police at the scene were keeping people away; dozens of police cars with their lights lit up were there.

"Everyone just started running," Devante Odom, 21, told The Dallas Morning News. "We lost touch with two of our friends just trying to get out of there."

Carlos Harris, who lives downtown told the newspaper that the shooters "were strategic. It was tap tap pause. Tap tap pause."

On Wednesday, a Minnesota officer fatally shot Philando Castile while he was in a car with a woman and a child in a St. Paul suburb. The aftermath of the shooting was purportedly livestreamed in a widely shared Facebook video.

A day earlier, Alton Sterling was shot in Louisiana after being pinned to the pavement by two white officers. That, too, was captured on a cellphone video.

The gunshots in Dallas came amid protests nationwide over the recent police shootings.

In midtown Manhattan, protesters first gathered in Union Square Park where they chanted "The people united, never be divided!" and "What do we want? Justice. When do we want it? Now!"

A group of protesters then left the park and began marching up Fifth Avenue blocking traffic during the height of rush hour as police scrambled to keep up. Another group headed through Herald Square and Times Square where several arrests were reported.

Michael Houston, a 20-year-old Brooklyn student, said anger and lack of action brought him to the protest.

"It's the definition of insanity," Houston said. "How can we expect anything to be different when nothing changes."

Lawrence Amsterdam, 35, another student from Brooklyn, decried what he called the police injustice.

"It's supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. But the way I see it, it's murder first and ask questions later," Amsterdam said.

___

Associated Press writer Ezra Kaplan in New York contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-07-08

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the beginning of the beginning of an extremely crazy decade, or longer!!!

Imagine if Trump gets elected.......America is getting crazy now. Europe has a good idea what the USA is going through.

No answers for this one...

Being a police officer in the US is like playing Russian roulette with your life every time you go out on duty,

tones of crazy people out there want to vent their anger and frustrations ant anyone and anybody, in

particularly when it come to misguided racial equalities perceived b y many African American as their

god given rights to be defiant and resist the rule of laws because they're the ' oppress ' one,

There isn't an answer how to remedy the and fix these problems as black carry their injustice and slavery

memories with them for generation and will continue to do so for generations to come.....

I just feel America feels that whites have monopoly on racism. What happened here today will be called what? Justice?

The root cause of this is the police gunning down black people.

Americans demand the right to carry a gun but when a black American carries a gun it is justification for the police to shoot him dead - dispite the fact he's not holding the gun and its still in his pocket.

I just feel America feels that whites have monopoly on racism. What happened here today will be called what? Justice?

Its called the inevitable consequences of the police gunning down a man on the basis of him being black.

No sympathy from me, everyone there wants to carry guns and no laws to stop it, this is the result of their "right to bear arms". Get used to it.

Welcome to the return of the wild west. Enjoy.

The only people to blame for these police officers being shot and some killed is the police themselves.

I saw the video of the police shooting the black man at very close range whilst he was on the floor with police on top of him.

Bloody disgraceful way for any police officer to behave, animals crazy animals.

We are the police, we can do what we want !! WRONG !!

No sympathy from me, everyone there wants to carry guns and no laws to stop it, this is the result of their "right to bear arms". Get used to it.

Welcome to the return of the wild west. Enjoy.

Sure. Know what you mean. In fact, I was talking with a guy a few minutes ago who reminded me of how he got a few chuckles out of Paris, Brussels, and the shooting of that British politician a few weeks ago.

Obama speaks out and this is the result.

Give it a rest. This kind of thing has been going on since before Obama was just a twinkle in his parents' eyes.

Police have released a photograph of one of the suspects. He was participating in the BLM protest. Obama and Hillary Clinton have both endorsed the BLM movement. We have had topic after topic in this forum attempting to tie Donald Trump to violent protesters. Here, we have a murderous protest movement which is directly endorsed by Obama, Biden, and Hillary.

I wonder at the mentality of those whose political bias is so embedded in their psyche that they appear to have no shame in twisting tragedy and real life, complex social issues to fit their warped agenda. I also notice something about what type of people are doing this at the moment when a very serious situation is still unfolding and little is actually known. It seems that the people blaming Obama and HRC for killing 4 police officers in Dallas are all the nattering Trumpkins. Complete with the ethnic stereotyping that he and they are known for.

Here is the report on the 'person of interest' whose photo was scurrilously released and even more scurrilously referred to in relation to trying to connect the BLM protest and the shooting attack http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/dallas-police-shooting-suspect-photo-black-man-gunman-sniper-shooter-picture-twitter-name/

CNN is not making any connection between the shootings and the BLM protests. I don't know about other channels but either way, it is far to early to make assumptions - for the non biased, non agenda driven of us of course.

That anyone would participate in a conscious, deliberate and purposeful attack on an ethnic group peacefully protesting by spreading falsehoods and misinformation designed to inflame hatred against that minority is shameful. And entirely consistent with the people who seem to put so much of their dreams into Trump. Will those who slandered Marc Hughes apologize for their base and cowardly words and actions?

Will they also provide some explanation of why black people are not entitled to the same 2nd Amendment rights as white people?

Edited by PTC

Sad when this sort of thing happens...

Before I say what I want to I categorically do not condone the actions of these murderers, there is no justification for their actions.

Things are still unravelling, we do not even know if the snipers are black or white...

But what I wish to say will justice be equal for these murderers and the police offices who have murdered the two black guys the week.

For example the snipers have been arrested, no doubt will be questioned charged and no chance of bail and probably serve many years appealing death sentences before being executed.

Will justice be equal regarding the police officers who murdered the two black guys this week???

Amarica the world is watching.

Edited by Basil B

Gotta say, the police had this coming. For too many years they've been an unaccountable militarized force in America responsible for the unnecessary deaths of tens thousands of Americans. You only have to look at the police killiings this week to see this. The people have had enough...remember America is an armed populace who have the means to resist government tyranny.

The only people to blame for these police officers being shot and some killed is the police themselves.

I saw the video of the police shooting the black man at very close range whilst he was on the floor with police on top of him.

Bloody disgraceful way for any police officer to behave, animals crazy animals.

We are the police, we can do what we want !! WRONG !!

The people to blame are the politicians, who do nothing to bring in gun control...

This would not happen in the UK because there are fewer people with access to guns, therefore not every police officers carries a gun, very few carry guns and because only a small percentage of police officers carry guns only the best officers are selected and their training and screening is far superior to that of America.