Phuket police vague on taxi rifle, pig shooting incident

webfact

Phuket police vague on taxi rifle, pig shooting incident
The Phuket News

1467965288_1-org.jpg
Cherng Talay Police are reluctant to divulge details about the taxi driver or his campanions who were firing a rifle within metres of local residents' houses at Layan. Image: provided

PHUKET: -- Police are reluctant to provide details over a Phuket taxi driver and his companions firing a rifle in a residential area in Cherng Talay on Tuesday (July 5), allegedly to shoot wild pigs.

A police pickup truck was within 100 metres of the shooting, as shown in a video provided to The Phuket News by a local resident.

Cherng Talay Police Chief Col Serm Khwannimit told The Phuket News that the taxi driver had been brought in for questioning, but charges had yet to be filed.

“At that time, he was not on duty, working or taking any passengers. His house is near where the incident occurred,” Col Serm said.

“He said he tested the gun, .22 rifle, with friends and that he had only just brought the rifle from home in ‘a car with green number plates’ (sic) – it was not carried in the car in working time.”

The man was being held for carrying a gun in public without a permit and firing the weapon without reasonable cause, Col Serm confirmed.

However, he said, “I do not want to give the suspect’s name.”

“We cannot file any charges over the shooting of any pigs as we have no evidence to substantiate the claim,” Col Serm added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-vague-on-taxi-rifle-pig-shooting-incident-58180.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-07-08

Why is the perp's plate number blurred out? It would be nice if the world could see which of our beloved taxi drivers is driving around with a weapon and firing it. Granted that useless wing he has will make his car stand out, along with the taxi id number clearly visible in the photo.

Why are the police reluctant to provide details? Usually they give all the details out like candy. Maybe he wasnt working but he can be charged with "carrying a gun in public without a permit and firing the weapon without reasonable cause"

Someone is going to be in his cab and I dont know about the rest of the people here but I wouldnt want to be the passenger

I wonder if it was a foreigner they would withhold the name? I doubt it

Edited by gandalf12

Errr, he was off duty, the rifle isn't going to be in the vehicle when he's working because it would take up too much space and not publishing his name is irrelevant. The police have provided information relevant to the case, not to feed forum conspiracy theories; one bit being that it is illegal to carry firearms in a public transport vehicle at any time. A bit of a non story IMHO.

Errr, he was off duty, the rifle isn't going to be in the vehicle when he's working because it would take up too much space and not publishing his name is irrelevant. The police have provided information relevant to the case, not to feed forum conspiracy theories; one bit being that it is illegal to carry firearms in a public transport vehicle at any time. A bit of a non story IMHO.

Firing an unlicensed gun in a public place is very relevant

But IMO not in relation to the taxi. That's just cheap scoring on sentiment of TVF readers.

But IMO not in relation to the taxi. That's just cheap scoring on sentiment of TVF readers.

I agree. It's just Thai bashing - right?

I agree. It's just Thai bashing - right?

As I said, cheap scoring. Must appeal to you.

Tourists: take us to the shooting range please.

Taxi. Ok. Take you special shooting live game. 5000 baht ok?

Tourists: ok.

Taxi drivers do all sorts of things for extra money. I've been offered girls, weed and even been dumped at a drivers family restaurant.